The Last Domino? background singers

• I noticed that the names of the two background singers (check the tour trailers) are mentioned on this tour dates page.

So I checked with google:

Daniel Pearce doesn't have a website (at least I didn't found one) but he was obviously involved in casting / TV shows.

Patrick Smyth does have a website, is from Belfast and is a session singer. He was also involved in musicals.

• thanks. Curious how this will change Phil's singing, i.e. will they just take over parts that are too high for Phil, do a lot of background harmony singing etc?

... make tomorrow today!

• I'm guessing that in addition to standard back-up/harmony parts, one of them can double up Phil on high notes. I've seen/heard this done with other singers. The lead singer might hit the high note briefly and then drop out. But the back-up singer also hits the same note (usually mixed back so it still sounds like the lead singer mainly) and hold the note longer so the effect is that the lead singer held the note longer. A bit sneaky, but it tends to work live, where there is so much going on. The other way this is done is that the lead singer never even goes for the high note, but instead hits the harmony note that the back-up singer normally would have sung while the back-up singer goes for the high note. In essence, they trade places harmonically for one note, which is not very noticeable unless you are specifically waiting for and focusing on the high note.

• Don't have a problem with backup singers. Phil does it on his solo tours as well so probably it gives him a bit more freedom to sing the Genesis stuff? The pressure for him is surely not as big as it was on previous tours.

• As with NC drumming, this is a practical and pragmatic move. I'm quite looking forward to seeing this different sort of Genesis set-up.

In the video trailer I think (correct me if I'm wrong) only MR had a mic stand, DS and TB didn't seem to.

Abandon all reason

• I think it would be interesting to hear some *choral* singing on songs like Afterglow, Entangled, Los Endos, etc - could be interesting as an additional "instrument" into the mix of things

• Official Post

Thanks for sharing this info

actually it will be a bit strange to see background singers in a Genesis show ... I have mixed feelings. :/

well, Pink Floyd also had that - a lot of bands do. Let's wait and see how that sounds.

• Phil always had a lot of backing singers on his solo tours and no one complained. So I don’t see a reason why this should be a bad idea. It will surely help Phil, who will be sitting down most of the time. And it’s difficult to sing while sitting down.

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• Official Post

Phil always had a lot of backing singers on his solo tours and no one complained. So I don’t see a reason why this should be a bad idea. It will surely help Phil, who will be sitting down most of the time. And it’s difficult to sing while sitting down.

Here’s to hoping Phil is in better health come the autumn. I heard he said he might even try to do some light drumming. Don’t know if that is accurate information.

• Here’s to hoping Phil is in better health come the autumn. I heard he said he might even try to do some light drumming. Don’t know if that is accurate information.

He said in an interview re the tour announcement last year that he aimed to get fit enough to drum on one or two numbers. A small kit just visible in the teaser video has sparked some speculation. It seems unlikely to me but here's hoping.

Abandon all reason

• He really ought to get himself a better chair! With all ergonomic products today there may be a chair that allows him to be in a more upright position?

Sorry , that is not true. Sitting down actually makes singers better. WHY?

Think about just singing.? When you are sitting down you are NOT...

...running around the stage making it harder to breath and sing.

Sitting down is a vocalists is a dream. You can control your DIAFRAME and BREATHING a lot more sitting down. Maybe , we will hear the old Phil.?

That is why so many other pop stars lip sink. Dancing and singing do not mix well.

Why do you think that MICK JAGGER sings so badly live. ???

Edited once, last by argos ().