Your favorite GENESIS album cover artwork (pick five)

• Beyond The Lamb and Abacab (coincidentally my two favourite albums of theirs) I'm not that fussed about any of the covers. I liked that Abacab originally came in different shades. Trespass is pretty good, especially with the knife slash. As mentioned above, I too like Three for its colour palette.

I don't mind the basic idea of the shapes one but for me it's ruined by the awful type face and the use of the shapes in the track listing on the rear cover. I think it'd be actually a good cover without the name on the front, just the image, then on the back 'Genesis' not in that appalling font and the tracks listed without the whackily tilted shapes next to them. But I get why it's so widely disliked.

IT, WCD and CAS are all poor. Of the live albums 3SL is by far the best - stark, simple with the single image that captures the excitement of a Genesis show better than any of the imagery on any of their other live albums. Live is good, SO the worst with its clinical front cover and lumpen formulaic inner 'collage' so beloved of rock bands' live albums back then.

Abandon all reason

• Went with:

Crime

Foxtrot

W & W

Duke

And another one....hell, I only voted 60 seconds ago and I’ve forgotten already.

Obvious choice is Trick, but do remember deciding that it was perhaps too obvious.

• I hope I’m not the proverbial fly in the ointment, but I was never a real fan of Genesis art work/covers. While the music is mind-blowing out of this world brilliance, I just never much cared for the covers.

I got spoiled because I was a Yes fan first decades and decades ago, and I was spellbound by Roger Dean. I met Roger in 2019 and my kids, wife, and I took a photo with him. The man is talented beyond measure. Incredibly kind hearted and humble.

If I had to choose, Trick/tail and W&W are decent.

• I got spoiled because I was a Yes fan first decades and decades ago, and I was spellbound by Roger Dean.

If I had to choose, Trick/tail and W&W are decent.

Well, if you put it like that and bring Dean up, it's hard to disagree with you. Dean's work is just something else .

• I got spoiled because I was a Yes fan first decades and decades ago, and I was spellbound by Roger Dean.

I bet you hated GFTO and Tormato then! I liked them and how they departed from the swirly fantastical Dean stuff. I have nothing against RD, he's a real talent and good to hear what a splendid chap he evidently is. It's just that as well as bands sticking to a music formula I also dislike when they have a consistent visual motif such as similar cover art and a regular logo. In that respect I always liked Rush's artwork with its very different approaches on each album.

Abandon all reason

• I bet you hated GFTO and Tormato then! I liked them and how they departed from the swirly fantastical Dean stuff. I have nothing against RD, he's a real talent and good to hear what a splendid chap he evidently is. It's just that as well as bands sticking to a music formula I also dislike when they have a consistent visual motif such as similar cover art and a regular logo. In that respect I always liked Rush's artwork with its very different approaches on each album.

GFTO is one of my very favorite albums!! I didn’t hate the cover but I prefer Dean. I actually prefer the consistent motif. And Roger was able to adapt the art and logo to the feel of the album and its theme most of the time. Relayer, riding off to war....Tales From Topographic Oceans the mystical spirituality, Close to the Edge, and the cool work on Drama, it always encapsulated the feel. Many of not most Yes fans, myself included, see Roger as a member of the band! The Tormato, 90125, and especially the Big Generator covers were just....I’ll be charitable....not ideal :P^^

• It would be tough to top this one:

So... I was in a Newbury Comics store yesterday, browsing in the vinyl section. I thought I'd check and see if they had any Suede stuff. I forgot that Suede are the London Suede here, so I popped over to the S section. And low and behold, what abomination is staring me in the face? That's right, Spiritus Mundi. I nearly fell over. What are the chances of finding something so obscure? It is obscure, right? I'd never heard of the guy before the album thread here.

For what it's worth, the full size version of the cover is really... something to behold. I think I went transiently blind as my optic nerves stopped working in protest at what I had just subjected them to.

And yes, I did just quote-reply to myself. If I should attend the village square to be placed in stocks and a dunces cap, I shall do so.

• I went back and it's still there. I picked it up and took a photo of it. It's real. It costs $37. I felt my phone wince as the camera tried to focus, it did that blurry in-and-out thing like it would do in a Japanese horror film just before the dead girl with the jerky limb movements rushes toward you and eats your face. None of these sentences are false. It costs $37.

Edit: $37.

• Official Post

I went back and it's still there. I picked it up and took a photo of it. It's real. It costs $37. I felt my phone wince as the camera tried to focus, it did that blurry in-and-out thing like it would do in a Japanese horror film just before the dead girl with the jerky limb movements rushes toward you and eats your face. None of these sentences are false. It costs $37.

Edit: $37.

Haha. I can picture your eye twitching as you pick it up to pay for it.