Re-arrange Genesis albums

• Apologies re 'you can dance' mistake. But I honestly thought all Genesis were really saying with 'We Can't Dance' was to acknowledge that at their age they couldn't be expected to make that sort of music.

• The bubble-gum dance music, not the whole dance music genre. Novelty songs.

I still don't get what you mean but never mind, I don't want to labour the point.

I honestly thought all Genesis were really saying with 'We Can't Dance' was to acknowledge that at their age they couldn't be expected to make that sort of music.

I agree there's less to it than suggested above. I've certainly not come across anything suggesting they were lampooning the Madonna dance-mix album title of 4 years previously. I read an interview in which PC said it was simply off the back of the prevalent dance music trend of the time, which suggested a way of playing up their "we know we're not cool" image, nothing more than that.

Abandon all reason

• When did they say this?

At the time of the promotion of We Can't Dance, they expressed, specially Collins, in several interviews the opinion that good music came from good songs and gifted artists, regardless of the rhythm, fad respectability or the pundits' opinions.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(00:25 Onwards).

Remember that Collins did not have a good opinion of rap, without forgetting that about 12 years before he said that he liked punk against the critics' consensus.

They did not actually said that their album's title was a pun on that of Madge, but this can be gathered.

• You're inferring a lot from some meagre scraps.

Anyway, this all belongs in the WCD album thread.

Abandon all reason