Re-arrange Genesis albums

• This is a revival of a thread someone started on the previous incarnation of the forum. The idea was that, as a purely fantasy exercise, you take an album and suggest an alternative version of it, using at least one non-album track from the same sessions, including at least one bit of re-sequencing, and removing at least one track from the released version.

We'll take it as read that many here will say they wouldn't want to change anything about any of the albums, which is fair enough. It's just meant as an enjoyably pointless thing to do. On the other hand it could genuinely be your view of how the album could have been better, and a chance to imagine a parallel reality where that track you've always disliked has vanished from the album. But overall, it's just intended to be a suggestion of a different version of the album.

Some examples of my own (with a blank line to indicate the division between sides 1 and 2 on vinyl):

Invisible Touch could be:

Do The Neurotic

Land of Confusion

Domino

Throwing It All Away

Tonight Tonight Tonight

In Too Deep

Invisible Touch

The Brazilian

Foxtrot:

Watcher Of The Skies

Horizons

Can-Utility

Twilight Alehouse

Supper's Ready

Abacab:

Abacab

No Reply At All

Keep It Dark

You Might Recall

Me & Sarah Jane

Naminanu

Dodo/Lurker

Submarine

Footnote to this one: the 3x3 EP would then be:

Paperlate

Who Dunnit

Like It Or Not

Me & Virgil

- with Man On The Corner/Another Record as a non-album single.

ATTWT:

Motherlode

Ballad of Big

Vancouver

Burning Rope

Say It's Alright Joe

The Lady Lies

Many Too Many

The Day The Light Went Out

Follow You Follow Me

Down & Out

Abandon all reason

Edited 2 times, last by Backdrifter ().

• I'll just focus on Trick, my favorite. Same songs, I would have loved at least one more song but It's Yourself is imo very weak particularly when compared with the rest of the album.

I'll start with Volcano, great opener the only other feasible candidate would be Squonk but if it ain't broken....

Next Ripples, followed R,A&B. Closing Side one with Entangled.

Side two begins with Squonk and in case there are no sides, Entangled's mellotron coda flows beautifully into the first chords of Squonk.

Then MMM, followed by the title track and closing with the only possible, sublime option: Los Endos.

DOAV

Ripples

R,A&B

Entangled

Squonk

MMM

TOTT

LOs Endos

• i have burned me a personal „EP“ of this suite.

Well done - for my part, I've included it in that sequence as part of my Genesis compilation; see the 'Your Best Of Genesis' thread elsewhere. I love Submarine, a very simple and atmospheric track. I often wished they'd introduced some real unpredictability into their live sets and included something like this from time to time.

Abandon all reason

• I did this for IT back on the old forum:

Anything She Does

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

Land Of Confusion

Do The Neurotic (full version)

Invisible Touch

Feeding The Fire

Domino

Throwing It All Away

The other albums I've always liked the way they were ordered. A possible Abacab for me would have been:

Abacab

No Reply At All

Me And Sarah Jane

Keep It Dark

Naminanu

Dodo/Lurker

Submarine

You Might Recall

Man On The Corner

Like It Or Not

Another Record (I never understood the hate for the last two songs - of course, they are far from the best songs they ever recorded, but they aren't as awful as some think either)

(yes, this makes for a long Abacab, but they were no strangers to giving those who mastered records a challenging time - they had so many songs then they could have considered a double album too w/ all the 3 x 3 tracks added)

Even thought it's my favorite Genesis album, I've even wondered about this potential "Wind And Wuthering":

Eleventh Earl Of Mar

One For The Vine

Your Own Special Way (another song where I never understood the hate)

Please Don't Touch (Steve really wanted the G version of this to be on W&W)

Inside And Out

Blood On The Rooftops

Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers

In That Quiet Earth

Afterglow

(I know there are some who really like "All In A Mouse's Night", but I'm not the biggest fan - musically, it's great; lyrically, umm...)

Without putting a full ordering, it would have been nice to have "It's Yourself" on ATOTT, and for "Twilight Alehouse" to have found a home on an album too.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Hmmm, never quite sure what to do with W&W in this respect as it's so low on my list and I only really like two or three tracks on the released version. But after mulling it over:

Eleventh Earl Of Mar

One For The Vine

Blood on the Rooftops

Pigeons

Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers

In That Quiet Earth

Afterglow

Inside & Out

Trick would be:

Dance

It's Yourself (the full second half minus the Los Endos intro bit)

Squonk

Entangled

Trick

Ripples

It's Yourself (part 1, segueing into)

Los Endos

- obviously some creative re-titling would need to be done for the two bits of IY.

Abandon all reason

• I put together a shortened version of We Can't Dance, as if it had been released in the LP era. I think it works quite well:

No Son of Mine

Driving the Last Spike

Never a Time

Living Forever

Hold on my Heart

Way of the World

On the Shoreline

Fading Lights

It can't really be called WCD any more because it doesn't contain the ICD monstrosity. I call it "Fading Lights"

• It can't really be called WCD any more because it doesn't contain the ICD monstrosity. I call it "Fading Lights"

Wasn't the album's working title Father & Son? Could that be a possible contender for your non-non-dancing version?

Since being on these forums, it's really dawned on me that many fans really hate ICD. A "monstrosity" - my word! Me, I don't mind it.

Abandon all reason

• Wasn't the album's working title Father & Son? Could that be a possible contender for your non-non-dancing version?

Since being on these forums, it's really dawned on me that many fans really hate ICD. A "monstrosity" - my word! Me, I don't mind it.

Father And Son and Moments In Time. Both pretty awful, I thought. As for I Can't Dance, I love it.

As for re-sequencing albums with extra tracks and changing the order of the songs, I've done it with a few Genesis albums but, as I never omit songs, I can't really put my suggested track lists here.

• Father And Son and Moments In Time. Both pretty awful, I thought. As for I Can't Dance, I love it.

As for re-sequencing albums with extra tracks and changing the order of the songs, I've done it with a few Genesis albums but, as I never omit songs, I can't really put my suggested track lists here.

"Moments In Time"? Bloody hell. I never heard that one before. That's appalling. It sounds like one of those mood-muzak compilations. ICD has a nicely sparse, kind of gritty feel that I quite like.

Ah, go ahead and list your resequenced versions if you feel like it. I'd be intrigued to see them.

Abandon all reason

• "Moments In Time"? Bloody hell. I never heard that one before. That's appalling. It sounds like one of those mood-muzak compilations. ICD has a nicely sparse, kind of gritty feel that I quite like.

Ah, go ahead and list your resequenced versions if you feel like it. I'd be intrigued to see them.

It's mentioned in the No Admittance documentary. And I think you're spot-on; it does indeed sound like it would be better suited to an album of muzak :)

Okay, here's my re-sequenced and remixed Invisible Touch:

Invisible Touch*

Land Of Confusion*

Feeding The Fire

Tonight Tonight Tonight*

In Too Deep

Anything She Does*

Domino*

Do The Neurotic

I'd Rather Be You*

Throwing It All Away

The Brazilian*

*indicates remix

• Calling All Stations:

Disc One

Calling All Stations*

Congo*

Shipwrecked*

Alien Afternoon*

Not About Us*

The Dividing Line*

The Banjo Man*

Phret*

If That's What You Need*

Disc Two

Sign Your Life Away

Anything Now*

Papa He Said*

7/8*

Nowhere Else To Turn*

Run Out Of Time*

Small Talk

Uncertain Weather*

There Must Be Some Other Way*

One Man's Fool*

• My take on Duke:

Behind the Lines

Duchess

Guide Vocal

Turn It On Again

Alone Tonight

Cul-De-Sac

Misunderstanding

Man Of Our Times

Evidence Of Autumn

Duke’s Travels

Duke’s End

Heathaze

• My take on Duke:

Behind the Lines

Duchess

Guide Vocal

Cul-de-Sac

Man of our Times

Open Door

Turn it on again

Evidence Of Autumn

Alone Tonight

Heathaze

Duke’s Travels

Duke’s End

This would definitely be my third favorite album, after Trick and SEBTP.

• No Misunderstanding or Please Don't Ask? Quelle surprise :rolleyes:

• I think that this would be my definitive Invisible Touch playlist (I have this playlist in Apple Music):

A1 Land of Confusion

A2 Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

A3 Invisible Touch

A4 Do The Neurotic

B1 Anything She Does

B2 Domino

B3 Feeding The Fire

B4 The Brazilian

Curious what you think of this list...

• We had very similar impulses on IT (scroll up for mine). Our order is different, but we chose all the same songs - the one difference is that I kept "Throwing It All Away" and you kept "The Brazilian".

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• We had very similar impulses on IT (scroll up for mine). Our order is different, but we chose all the same songs - the one difference is that I kept "Throwing It All Away" and you kept "The Brazilian".

I've rearranged the sides so that on both sides the second track (A2 and B2) are the long ones and that the last one (A4 and B4) is an instrumental one.

• I'm currently re-arranging The Lamb (sacrilege!) to include some of the mini-instrumentals they played on the tour, such as the piece they played before The Lamia. There are pieces on The Lamb that could've gone on a bit longer (imagine Hairless Heart with a rip-roaring Hackett solo at the end) so I'm using what's available (the Headley Grange tapes, the alternative mixes etc.). It is, in every way, a labour of love.