Who wrote what

• Moving on to And Then There Were 3…

Only songs written by the group are counted from now on, as songs with one writer are too obvious…

Down & Out - lyrics: Phil

Ballad of Big - lyrics: Phil

Scenes From A Night’s Dream - lyrics: Phil

Follow You Follow Me - lyrics: Mike

Vancouver - lyrics: Phil

I also forgot Spot The Pigeon earlier…

Match Of The Day - lyrics: Phil

Pigeons - lyrics: Mike

Inside & Out - lyrics: Phil

• The lyrics on Scenes from a Night’s Dream sound a lot like something Tony would write. It’s hard to wrap my mind around Phil writing about “giant nymphs and goblins playing.” Are you sure they were Phil’s?

• The lyrics on Scenes from a Night’s Dream sound a lot like something Tony would write. It’s hard to wrap my mind around Phil writing about “giant nymphs and goblins playing.” Are you sure they were Phil’s?

I know what you mean, it's the sort of twee bollocks you'd associate with Banks but I've definitely heard it was Collins.

Abandon all reason

• Well according to interviews around that time and links provided from Wikipedia that link back to old articles, Scenes From A Night’s Dream was Phil’s lyrics after Tony scrapped his own lyrics, and the track almost ended up not being on the album until Phil’s little miracle happened. I must say I’m impressed with what Phil came up with. I don’t think he ever wrote lyrics similar to this imagery ever again.

• Alright we’ve reached the stage of Duke…

Behind The Lines - lyrics: Mike

Duchess - lyrics: Banks

Turn It On Again - lyrics: Mike

Duke’s Travels / Duke’s End - lyrics: Banks (with a couple additional lyrics, most likely Banks again)

Unlike the previous album, where most of the collaborations had Phil’s lyrics, Phil once again had no lyrical involvement on the group tracks (likely bc of the failing marriage and his songs having much more personal meaning than before, which Phil felt wouldn’t fit Genesis that well, sans the two songs he wrote for the album).

• I've heard the music is substantially his too, although group-credited (see also Dodo/Lurker and Keep It Dark, both his lyrics too)

True but I’m sure the Roland CR-78 drum machine thing was Phil’s idea as well. Mike… well I don’t know what Mike could’ve done tbh.

• Abacab. Must I say more?

Abacab - lyrics: Mike (not too sure about this one)

No Reply At All - lyrics: Phil

Keep It Dark - lyrics: Banks (allegedly wrote the whole thing himself)

Dodo / Lurker - lyrics: Banks (same as above)

Who Dunnit - lyrics: Phil

Another Record - lyrics: Mike

Adding 3x3

Paperlate - lyrics: Phil

You Might Recall - lyrics: Mike

Me & Virgil - lyrics: Phil (similar case to Match Of The Day, where both were removed from Genesis Archive 2 and both because of Phil being embarrassed by the lyrics to both)

• I seem to recall an interview, where Behind The Lines had originally lyrics by Phil. But they were quite nasty, so apparently they were replaced with Mike's.

Also, isn't You Might Recall by Tony? He was credited for it in that old Genesis Discography

• I seem to recall an interview, where Behind The Lines had originally lyrics by Phil. But they were quite nasty, so apparently they were replaced with Mike's.

Also, isn't You Might Recall by Tony? He was credited for it in that old Genesis Discography

Well that discography also said that Mike or Steve wrote the lyrics to Inside & Out, and Steve has made it very clear that it was Phil.

As for Behind The Lines, whoa! What on earth did Phil originally write for the song? That’s news to me. By nasty, and given the timing, it might’ve been lyrics relating to the divorce, or at least something along those lines.

• Moving on to Genesis…

Mama - lyrics: Phil

That’s All - lyrics: Phil

Home By The Sea / 2nd Home By The Sea - lyrics: Banks (inspired by the title by Phil)

Illegal Alien - lyrics: Mike

Taking It All Too Hard - lyrics: Mike

Just A Job To Do - lyrics: Mike

Silver Rainbow - lyrics: Banks (allegedly wrote the song mostly himself)

It’s Gonna Get Better - lyrics: Phil

• I seem to remember the original lyrics to BTL were aimed at certain critics of the band.

Interesting! I wonder what critics they were referring to and what the lyrics said. I’d want to see those lyrics very soon, but I’m not sure if they’ll ever pop up someday.

• Just an unrelated note: did Phil write the lyrics to Soho by Brand X? He and John Goodsall are credited with that, and when the backing track was reused for Modern Noisy & Effective, among the 3 writers of the latter song, Goodsall was credited, but Collins wasn’t. The latter is also an instrumental, while soho had lyrics.

• Just an unrelated note: did Phil write the lyrics to Soho by Brand X? He and John Goodsall are credited with that, and when the backing track was reused for Modern Noisy & Effective, among the 3 writers of the latter song, Goodsall was credited, but Collins wasn’t. The latter is also an instrumental, while soho had lyrics.

Interesting question. I always thought Soho had “Phil-sounding” lyrics.

• Just to get the obvious out of the way for Invisible Touch:

Invisible Touch - lyrics: Phil

Tonight Tonight Tonight - lyrics: Phil

Land Of Confusion - lyrics: Mike

In Too Deep - lyrics: Phil

Anything She Does - lyrics: Banks

Domino - lyrics: Banks

Throwing It All Away - lyrics: Mike

The Brazilian - instrumental, primarily a Banks composition based on a sample of Phil & Mike jamming

Do the Neurotic - instrumental

Feeding The Fire - lyrics: Banks

I’d Rather Be You- lyrics: Phil