TONY BANKS - 30th anniversary of "Still" - your favorite tracks?

• Official Post

WHat are your favorite tracks on ... "Still"? 27

1. Another Murder Of A Day (16) 59%
    2. Red Day On Blue Street (15) 56%
    3. Still It Takes Me By Surprise (13) 48%
    4. Angel Face (10) 37%
    5. I Wanna Change The Score (9) 33%
    6. The Final Curtain (7) 26%
    7. Water Out Of Wine (4) 15%
    8. The Gift (1) 4%
    9. Hero For An Hour (1) 4%
    10. Back To Back (1) 4%

Unbelievable, but TONY BANKS' album "Still" was first released 30 years ago today. Tony did not only have four guest vocalists on that album, there were also a bunch of high class session musicians involved.

Our review:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…Still-CD-review-s223.html

What do you think about "Still" today?

There is also a poll - what are your favorite tracks?

• I thought it was one of his best albums and it's certainly one of my favourites.

It also seemed to reaffirm the fact I'm a poor judge when it comes to identifying commercially viable music.

There were at least 2 or 3 songs on this album that I thought would warrant radio play, would draw wider attention or even some discussion about his solo career.

Of course, it generated no attention, no radio play and left me shaking my head.

As for favourites, there are four songs that really stand out for me: Another Murder, Angel Face, Red Day and Still It Takes Me.

I chose the first three in the poll, but could have easily switched any of them with the latter.

• Angel Face & Red Day are my favorite Tony songs, and are among my favorite songs by anyone.

Still It Takes Me By Surprise is a well-written song, but Andy Taylor's vocal is really strained and sounds wrong for it. I actually like Tony's vocal on Hero better.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• This is the only TB album I own, having bought it in Our Price in Guildford in 1991 for £11.79 (the price sticker is still on the front of the cd). I was working in Guildford in a job I hated so the album brings unpleasant memories with it. That's the only kind of tangible memory of it I do have, as I can't remember anything about the tracks but do recall a general sense of not liking the album. I'm surprised I still own it. Perhaps this thread is the prompt for me to revisit it.

I had The Fugitive, which is my favourite of the albums of his I know, but have no idea what happened to it.

Two other things: the artist and album title details on the spine are the 'wrong' way around. The cd is in a storage unit with the cds stored horizontally. Usually, when the spine text is the right way up, when you slide the cd out the front cover is facing up. With this one, to have the spine text the right way up when stored, you have to have the back cover facing upwards. Dah! That irritates me. Four of the Kylie Minogue cds I have do the same thing. Occasionally, books do this as well. It's all wrong!

The other thing was that having bought that cd for £11.79 30 years ago, many new cds I buy now are about the same price or cheaper. Adjusting for inflation that cd would now be about £26 at the 'same' price.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Not that many voters so far, but still it makes me wonder why Red Day On Blue Street is so popular. It's a good track, but maybe too long - and there are several tracks on the record that I would consider more interesting.

• I like his collaboration with Fish, Another murder ... :thumbup:

Then I wanna change the score (no idea why that didn't become a hit single)

And Still it takes ... - wonderful Banks tune.

• Official Post

Another Murder; Water Out of Wine; Red Day.

Water Out Of WIne was also one of my choices - great stuff

• One of the Tony Banks albums I still don't own. Some years ago I listened to the whole album online and I decided to skip this one, I found it to be too mixed and I didn't like Fish's nor Andy Taylor's vocals. I prefer Bankstatement and Strictly Inc.

• One of the Tony Banks albums I still don't own. Some years ago I listened to the whole album online and I decided to skip this one, I found it to be too mixed and I didn't like Fish's nor Andy Taylor's vocals. I prefer Bankstatement and Strictly Inc.

interesting. Always thought it was his best solo album. And there are some great musicians on that one as well.

Strictly Inc would be my second choice

• Official Post

I prefer Fish's vocals to any other vocals on TB's solo albums.

Like Tony himself, I always thought Jack Hues was the perfect match for Tony’s music

• Official Post

Another year has passed - Still was released on this day in 1991. The poll about your facvorite tracks on page 1 is still running.