Genesis - The Invisible Touch Tour 1986/87

• Official Post

Hey

Although I have mixed feelings about this tour, it also was a tour of „last ones“

One of those was of course Apocalypse in 9/8, which they sadly dropped during the tour.

And then there’s also Abacab

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I love this performance. This may also be a rat appearance of a real Rutherford lead guitarist. And Phil is obviously in his prime …

I hope they will do this during their new show, but of course it won’t be the same with Phil not drumming

• I agree, that's always been a highlight of that tour video for me. Mike's very good on lead, and it's loud and up there in the mix as it should be. And I love Phil's drumming, especially toward the end when he gets particularly maniacal, and because of the fast cuts you get a sense that he's just a whirl of arms flying about. The group crescendos terrifically on it.

• Could be something for the absolute peak thread as well.
    I like this version a lot, especially the double drums and Mike’s guitar. I doubt Mike can still play Abacab this way and of course there won’t be double drums (if they do it). Will be interesting to see how Nic will handle this. And maybe Daryl on guitar?

... make tomorrow today!

• I love Abacab. I don’t know why in this video, it sounds sparse to me, compared to the album version. It’s sounds almost stripped down or something. With that being said, Mike and Daryl sound awesome here.

Probably because the drums aren’t as massive with gated reverb here as they were in the recording. Still a pretty awesome live clip though.

• I love Abacab. I don’t know why in this video, it sounds sparse to me, compared to the album version. It’s sounds almost stripped down or something. With that being said, Mike and Daryl sound awesome here.

Interesting, I think the complete opposite, that the live version is fuller sounding. The original sounds way more spartan and spacey to me. The instrumental has a more atmospheric feel on the album, but buzzing and rocky live. I like both.

Abandon all reason

• Interesting, I think the complete opposite, that the live version is fuller sounding. The original sounds way more spartan and spacey to me. The instrumental has a more atmospheric feel on the album, but buzzing and rocky live. I like both.

I agree that live it sounds fuller and more like a rock song. On the other hand I think the version from the IT tour pales in comparison to the live versions from the 3 previous tours. The IT version is way too fast for my taste and all the instruments have a tinny sounding quality to me. Of course my view may be colored by knowing how the band dressed on stage during that tour: Phil in his Dad-look white shirt and Dockers and Tony and Mike wearing those cringe-worthy Miami Vice style suits. Oh for the t-shirts and jeans of the Encore Tour.

• Official Post

I agree that live it sounds fuller and more like a rock song. On the other hand I think the version from the IT tour pales in comparison to the live versions from the 3 previous tours. The IT version is way too fast for my taste and all the instruments have a tinny sounding quality to me. Of course my view may be colored by knowing how the band dressed on stage during that tour: Phil in his Dad-look white shirt and Dockers and Tony and Mike wearing those cringe-worthy Miami Vice style suits. Oh for the t-shirts and jeans of the Encore Tour.

I amend my previous comment, Mike’s playing is awesome in this clip, love his guitar! These guys were on fire the last three or four minutes of this song! Do we know where this particular concert was? As for the clothes the guys were wearing—it was the ‘80’s. Many people had questionable fashion choices.

• I amend my previous comment, Mike’s playing is awesome in this clip, love his guitar! These guys were on fire the last three or four minutes of this song! Do we know where this particular concert was? As for the clothes the guys were wearing—it was the ‘80’s. Many people had questionable fashion choices.

I think it was Wembley stadium. 80 or 90 thousand people. Agree their clothes are irrelevant. I love this version of that song.

• I think the IT tour is the best live version of Abacab. Yes it was definitely sped-up, which I think worked well. Also I remember them (well, Banks I think) saying they felt it was a bold move opening stadium shows with the downbeat atmospheric Mama and wanting the 2nd number as a stark contrast. So maybe with that in mind they gave Abacab an extra kick up the arse. The extra tempo and the energetic playing gave it a fiery feel.

I'm sure MoonlitKnight isn't being 100% serious with his wardrobe comment. Amusing to think white shirt and dockers = "dad"! But yeah, this was a time when we thought it was cool to push up jacket sleeves. Ahem - I, er, um.... (gulp) did it myself. And wore baggy pastel t-shirts and billowy trousers. 😖

Abandon all reason

• I prefer the earlier shows in the tour when "Follow You, Follow Me" was in the set and "Apocalypse in 9/8" was part of the oldies medley. I find myself gravitating towards the 10/15/86 Forum show a lot. "Apocalypse" sounded so damn good and seemed to be in there as a not so subtle reminder that Genesis weren't going to forget their roots in the face of commercial success.

While I do enjoy this tour, it kind of reminds me of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." tour, where the scope of the supported album's success turned the shows into less intense, more crowd pleasing affairs. Certainly Genesis approached most songs with the same attack they always had, but's there's a more polished, stadium ready sheen to some of the later performances.

Already on this tour, which also makes it not quite a favorite of mine, is that Phil was already past his prime vocally midway through. I know that sounds weird and a casual listen still shows he sang with the same power he always had, but compare "Mama" and "That's All" from this tour to the 1983-84 versions. On the former he's nailing every part of these songs: the gritty distorted screams, the high belts, everything is on point. Fast forward to the Wembley shows and he can't hit the "my eyes!" scream or the "one bite" modulation on these respective songs. I think this may also be part of the reason "Apocalypse" was dropped, and I think they even lowered keys beginning with this tour. As a performer, Phil's charisma and energy was still off the charts here.

Overall, a very good tour but not up there with the previous runs. Some great shows and some songs that were consistent highlights, and obviously one of the more significant periods in the band's history.

• I'm sure MoonlitKnight isn't being 100% serious with his wardrobe comment. Amusing to think white shirt and dockers = "dad"! But yeah, this was a time when we thought it was cool to push up jacket sleeves. Ahem - I, er, um.... (gulp) did it myself. And wore baggy pastel t-shirts and billowy trousers. 😖

Thank you Backdrifter for “catching my drift” re the band’s onstage wardrobe during the Invisible Touch tour. Indeed that part of my comment was meant to be in part a smart a** observation on the clothing styles at the time. I am as guilty as anyone else of dressing the part during the mid-80s. In my case it was wearing nothing but black and having spiked hair. Cringe-worthy indeed! But I was also trying to offer a critique of the music as well. I mentioned the 1982 Encore Tour because Genesis sounded so big and full and raw during that tour. Go back to that tour and listen to the monstrous drum fills during Abacab and Supper’s Ready (the Saratoga Springs soundboard recording not withstanding; soundboard recordings always seem to muffle the sound of the drums). And listen to the unrestrained joy of the reworked Lamb that was played on that tour. To me it was Genesis at its best: a rock band with great chops and enthusiasm putting on a helluva show.

• Thank you Backdrifter for “catching my drift” re the band’s onstage wardrobe during the Invisible Touch tour. Indeed that part of my comment was meant to be in part a smart a** observation on the clothing styles at the time. I am as guilty as anyone else of dressing the part during the mid-80s. In my case it was wearing nothing but black and having spiked hair. Cringe-worthy indeed! But I was also trying to offer a critique of the music as well. I mentioned the 1982 Encore Tour because Genesis sounded so big and full and raw during that tour. Go back to that tour and listen to the monstrous drum fills during Abacab and Supper’s Ready (the Saratoga Springs soundboard recording not withstanding; soundboard recordings always seem to muffle the sound of the drums). And listen to the unrestrained joy of the reworked Lamb that was played on that tour. To me it was Genesis at its best: a rock band with great chops and enthusiasm putting on a helluva show.

Nothing so bad about wearing all black and having spiked hair. On a tangent: in the original novel of Jurassic Park the mathematician is asked why he always wears only black and he gives an explanation I really like.

I think you're right about the 82 tour, they were absolutely on fire. It's fitting that the final full performances of Supper's Ready occurred on that tour, it never sounded better.

Abandon all reason

• The musicianship on the IT tour was great and the above Abacab performance is a good example. Not that the musicianship was ever poor on a Genesis tour, but the energy and further elaborations they did on instrumental passages were excellent. I agree it was on the fast side, but that was fine by me. They also had great energy performing Domino.

I also agree that Phil's range was slipping a bit on the high notes compared to the Mama tour. He was always pushing himself hard through this period and I wonder if he had been a bit more careful with his voice, he might have gotten through this better.

I was lucky enough to see this tour on the earlier leg, when they hit Toronto. So I got the ITC-full ITQE-Apocalypse/ASAEIE medley. I was thrilled when I realized they were heading into the full ITQE and then had to pick my jaw off the floor when it then went into Apocalypse.

• Official Post

The musicianship on the IT tour was great and the above Abacab performance is a good example. Not that the musicianship was ever poor on a Genesis tour, but the energy and further elaborations they did on instrumental passages were excellent. I agree it was on the fast side, but that was fine by me. They also had great energy performing Domino.

I also agree that Phil's range was slipping a bit on the high notes compared to the Mama tour. He was always pushing himself hard through this period and I wonder if he had been a bit more careful with his voice, he might have gotten through this better.

I was lucky enough to see this tour on the earlier leg, when they hit Toronto. So I got the ITC-full ITQE-Apocalypse/ASAEIE medley. I was thrilled when I realized they were heading into the full ITQE and then had to pick my jaw off the floor when it then went into Apocalypse.

That must have been incredible to see, Dr. John.

• That must have been incredible to see, Dr. John.

It was really cool. I was 18 and it was my first Genesis concert. I bought a cheap seat at the back end of CNE stadium and then "migrated" in the stands to a spot much closer by the time of this medley. There was an interesting reaction from the crowd when they started Apocalypse. There was a smaller roar of recognition and excited gestures from some. There was also puzzlement and some heading for the bathrooms/concession stands (which had already started during In the Cage). For me, I was filled with both energy and awe. By the time Phil hit the final "Jerusaleeeeeem!!" I felt elevated up by the music. I was probably still basking in the afterglow when they next went into Invisible Touch, which I frankly don't remember at all.

• Official Post

For me, I was filled with both energy and awe. By the time Phil hit the final "Jerusaleeeeeem!!" I felt elevated up by the music. I was probably still basking in the afterglow when they next went into Invisible Touch, which I frankly don't remember at all.

That's ... well, how to put it ... let's say "understandable" :D

• Did they play Apocalpyse in Australia and Japan as well or only in North Ameria during the first leg?

The last time Apocalypse was played on the IT tour was in New Zealand. Phil completely blew his voice out trying to sing the “666” section. It’s so painful to hear that I’ve only been able to bring myself to listen to it once.