The building of every (insert artist)'s song

• Maybe you have seen these memes that show funny diagrams about how "every" song of genre XY is built, like "every jazz song: intro - lots of noodling - outro" and the likes. I thought this would be much more fun with artists or bands rather than genres. Disclaimer: this is just fun ;)

Let's try:

How every Frank Zappa song is built:

Intro in 5/8 - piss take on country music - "the CIA guys are so retarded" - "the US president is so retarded" - blues guitar solo (20 minutes) - vibraphone solo in quintuplets over a 15/8 signature - outro: piss take on Frank Sinatra

How every Pet Shop Boys song is built:
    Intro: lots of orchestra hits - disco beat - something about a dysfunctional relationship - some cynical bites at politics and society - catchy chorus guest starring The Russian Village People - fake applause sample to a spoken one-liner courtesy of Chris Lowe - repeat chorus - more orchestra hits

How every Tony Banks song is built:
    shortened 'Watcher of the Skies' intro - standard 80s pop rhythm - "I'm just a random pop singer" type of vocals - totally cryptic lyrics - chorus that tries to be catchy over some really weird chord changes - crappy synth guitar solo - 3 bars of 6/4 - repeat chorus and fadeout

You go ahead! :P (Feel free to move this in the games section or elsewhere if this doesn't fit in here)

• How every Phil Collins song is built:

intro usually keyboard or drums that sets the mood - verses that describe some sort of misery or happiness- chorus that tries to grab you at all costs - monumental / strange sound somewhere along the lines - outro makes you wonder why

How every Brand X song is built:

intro showcases the instrument worth paying attention to - rest of the song says “no” and throws everything at you

That being said I love both artists. All fun and games right? :)

• How every Eagles song is built:

Intro either acoustic or electric guitar (or if it's a REALLY slow, sensitive ballad, keyboards)

Verses that either moan about Los Angeles/the human condition/unfaithful women (sung by Don Henley) or try to be upbeat about Los Angeles/the human condition/unfaithful women (sung by Glenn Frey)

Chorus. HARMONIES.

Guitar solo. Repeat. Vocal improvisation (if Don Henley).

I wish I could be more 'technical' than that but I felt I had to contribute something.

• I wish I could be more 'technical' than that but I felt I had to contribute something.

No problem, this thread was meant to be on the fun side. :)

For the stereotypical Phil Collins song, I would have added: drum computer - Tourette-style brass - some lyrics about a woman that ruins Phil's love life and still she is sooo hot.

• True, though if you go far enough back in their catalog you have to add bluegrass-influenced songs (e.g. Midnight Flyer; Early Bird; Doolin-Dalton instrumental; Journey of the Sorcerer) driven by Bernie Leadon’s banjo.

• How every Steely Dan song is built:

natural blend of every style of American 20th century popular music - chord changes no human being can comprehend that still sound easy-peasy as anything - obscure sarcastic lyrics about historical figures playing losers of today's American society - pile of nervous wrecks of world-class session musicians

• True, though if you go far enough back in their catalog you have to add bluegrass-influenced songs (e.g. Midnight Flyer; Early Bird; Doolin-Dalton instrumental; Journey of the Sorcerer) driven by Bernie Leadon’s banjo.

Yes, you're right of course. I was describing more of the really well known stuff.

• How every Steely Dan song is built:

natural blend of every style of American 20th century popular music - chord changes no human being can comprehend that still sound easy-peasy as anything - obscure sarcastic lyrics about historical figures playing losers of today's American society - pile of nervous wrecks of world-class session musicians

I use an app which lists the chords for songs. It has an enormous database and I use it for convenience, and for the harder songs.

At the beginning of each song tab it lists all the chords that will appear in the song.

Typically for the songs on Aja for instance, there are about 3 pages of chords. Obscure variations of Eflat maj7 add9 sus4 etc. There are more chords in an Aja song that most artists use in a whole album. :)

• I use an app which lists the chords for songs. It has an enormous database and I use it for convenience, and for the harder songs.

At the beginning of each song tab it lists all the chords that will appear in the song.

Typically for the songs on Aja for instance, there are about 3 pages of chords. Obscure variations of Eflat maj7 add9 sus4 etc. There are more chords in an Aja song that most artists use in a whole album. :)

Musically and lyrically Steely Dan is so unique. They are a genre in and of themselves. Even Don Henley and Glenn Frey of the Eagles have cited them as a big influence. The line in Hotel California “They stab it with their steely knives but they just can’t kill the beast” is their tribute to Dan. Oh and who can forget “Have you ever seen a Squonk’s tears? Well look at mine.” SD song: Any Major Dude

• How every AC/DC song is built:

Monster riff starting with Angus, then bolstered by Malcolm. Add steady backbeat and bass to complete the groove. Add a throat-shredding vocal about doing something uncouth, illegal, or sexual. Add a chorus that is suitable for drunken screaming in a bar or at a concert. Add a wicked guitar solo. Finish with more scream-along choruses and perhaps another guitar solo.

How every Rolling Stones song is built:

Start with a slightly sloppy guitar riff that borrows equally from Chuck Berry and country. Add a great backbeat that always sounds like it is about to slow down. Add a slightly slurred, lascivious vocal singing lyrics that, when decipherable, are some cynical take on personal relationships or social-political issues. Add off-key harmonies, except when done by fabulous back-up singers.

• How every Alan Parsons Project song is built:

1. Hey guys, let's record this really cool mellow rock song I wrote!

2. Let's add the blueprint for any good guitar solo

3. Let's add some notes with this instrument I built which is NOT a mellotron

4. Let's add some lyrics based on something by Edgar Allan Poe.....again

5. Did you know we can enhance every rock song with a full symphony orchestra - without making it pretentious? Let me show you

6. Did you know French horns were meant for rock music? Let me show you

7. Did you know our main song writer can sing every song while he's falling asleep? Let me... err, Don't let it show

• I have to try this but again it will be simplistic. How every Dire Straits song is built:

Start with either some sort of weird sound effects/fade in/ acoustic guitar/electric guitar which depeding on the length of the song should at least take several minutes.

Continue with moody/reflective/wry/ruminative/narrative verses on any subject you like but ultimately you want the listener to think of the northeast of England.

A chorus isn't actually obligatory - what is needed is a quiet midsection whiich reinforces the mood and makes the listener either sing along or burst into tears at the profundity of it all. If there is a chorus or repeated section, that's a pleasant bonus.

Guitar solo. Listener must wonder 'is he using the Strat/Les Paul/Pensa/various acoustic brands here'.

Fade. May include keyboards or even sax at this point.

I think people know how much I love Dire Straits so this actually wasn't that easy to write. The Knopfler solo work is similar for the most part.

• I have to try this but again it will be simplistic. How every Dire Straits song is built:

Please don't overthink it. My intention was to sum up the most stereotypical trademarks of a band or artist in a few words, including exaggerations for fun's sake. You are doing way more than this, you are really good at analyzing! :)