The Friday Rock show BBC

• Was chatting with a buddy about the late great Tommy Vance and his BBC Rock Show. He had an annual listeners top 10, which i had on tape and played until literally expired!

Managed to locate the details i had as below. Some classics on here...remember this was early 1981..SR in an no 2 pop pickers 😊

The third top 10, was broadcast on 13 November 1981.

• 10. (5) "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" - Pink Floyd - from copy of quadrophonic master mixed to stereo
    • 9. (8) "Smoke on the Water" - Deep Purple - from Machine Head
    • 8 (10) "Awaken" - Yes - from Going For the One
    • 7. (4) "Child in Time" - Deep Purple - from Deep Purple in Rock
    • 6. (9) "2112" - Rush - from 2112
    • 5. (7) "Xanadu" - Rush - from Farewell to Kings
    • 4. (6) "Stargazer" - Rainbow - from Rainbow Rising.
    • 3. (3) "Freebird" - Lynyrd Skynyrd - from Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd
    • 2. (2) "Supper's Ready" - Genesis - from Foxtrot
    • 1. (1) "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin from Led Zeppelin

• Wow. Classics one and all I'd say.

A decent showing from Rush on there! I'm not sure what my top 10 would have been then. But on 13/11/81 I was about 5 weeks away from seeing Genesis for the first time, (NEC 23/12/81) and my listening habits were never the same afterwards!

• Wow. Classics one and all I'd say.

A decent showing from Rush on there! I'm not sure what my top 10 would have been then. But on 13/11/81 I was about 5 weeks away from seeing Genesis for the first time, (NEC 23/12/81) and my listening habits were never the same afterwards!

Not meaning to change the subject but I just realized that you’re on record as an audience member for some of the performances on 3 Sides Live! How must that have felt?

• Interesting - two Rush tracks in this list! It surprises me they were that popular. Curious how this would look today ...

... make tomorrow today!

• Not meaning to change the subject but I just realized that you’re on record as an audience member for some of the performances on 3 Sides Live! How must that have felt?

Haha, yes it feels good actually! I didn't know Genesis stuff all that well on that day. I went in a casual fan and came out a Genesis nut.

That evening was a life changing event for me, so having some of it on 3SL is amazing.

I wonder if anyone on the board is on Seconds Out? :)

• Interesting - two Rush tracks in this list! It surprises me they were that popular. Curious how this would look today ...

1981, and after the release of Moving Pictures, Rush were on a roll!...Farewell to Kings and 2112, often appear in top prog album listings...both cracking albums!

• Haha, yes it feels good actually! I didn't know Genesis stuff all that well on that day. I went in a casual fan and came out a Genesis nut.

That evening was a life changing event for me, so having some of it on 3SL is amazing.

I wonder if anyone on the board is on Seconds Out? :)

Not on the Second out , but am on the WCD video from Earls Court...although only noticed this about 2 years ago! 😄

• Kinda thanks to Tommy Vance ("TV on the radio!" as I'm sure he either used to say, or had a jingle of)) that I'm here. He played Steve Hackett's 1979 Reading Festival performance on the show, (On 2 occasions actually, in 1979 and again in 1980) which got me hooked on Steve, and thus onto Genesis.

My friend Guy (discussed only the other day on the PG2 thread) used to know him a little, from memory, they were both on BFBS in Gibraltar in the 1980's.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• still got the SH Reading show in cassette that was played on the Friday rock show. Also the Genesis 80 Lyceum show and Knebworth 78, which were both aired as a special broadcast. Were played to death at the time!