2. Solsbury Hill (31) 63%
    3. Humdrum (30) 61%
    4. Moribund The Burgermeister (21) 43%
    5. Modern Love (16) 33%
    6. Slowburn (5) 10%
    7. Down The Dolce Vita (4) 8%
    8. Waiting Tor The Big One (3) 6%
    9. Excuse Me (2) 4%

Following the albums poll about Phil Collins and Genesis, we'd like to do the favorite tracks poll also for PETER GABRIEL.

This one is about his first solo album, also known as "Car", released in 1977.

So far available:

Rated PG

Scratch My Back

UP

US

So

IV

III

II

• I didn't vote for it but the one song that has come the longest way for me after being dismissed for decades as a mere oddity is "Excuse Me."

For some reason, it was hearing the demo of the song which drew my attention more so to the chorus than the barbershop quartet motif, and I started thinking this is actually a bit of a catchy tune.

• Not a huge fan of DTDV or WFTBO, but I don't dislike them. Other than those, this is Prime Grade A Gabriel.

I went for SH, Modern Love and HCTF.

HCTF because well, how could it not be?

I've been listening to this album for about 40 years and my favourites have probably varied over that time. Solsbury Hill would not have been in my top 3 for much of that time. But in the end, it still sounds fresh as a daisy. When I hear that intro, it's still amazing, and gets me excited about what's to come. I love the lyrics too.

I was lucky enough (with 60,000 others) to see Genesis and Peter perform this at Milton Keynes in 1982.

• Peter's first album is probably my least favorite. I do have sympathies for Moribund and I acknowledge the quality of Solsbury Hill (didn't vote for that track), so I picked Humdrum, Flood and Moribund.

• Top 2 were easy (Humdrum and Slowburn). Went with Moribund as the third choice (Waiting.....narrowly missed out).

Love Flood, but have maybe heard it too many times. Solsbury Hill is overplayed (is it on every Live album?).

Regardless, my favourite if all his albums.

• "Modern Love" is my favorite - he didn't do many songs in this style :thumbup:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Then: "Flood" and "Humdrum"

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• Official Post

"Modern Love" is my favorite - he didn't do many songs in this style :thumbup:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Then: "Flood" and "Humdrum"

interesting video, never saw that one before.

• I would like to know what people think of Waiting For The Big One, which I have read is supposed to be a tribute to Randy Newman - the piano, the drawling vocal, the cynical lyrics. I listened to it yesterday. For a start, it's far too long. Newman's songs are short & to the point.WFTBO just meandered around and went nowhere. I should point out that Newman is one of my heroes, and to be honest I think he could do a better impersonation of Peter than Peter did of him. I actually think it's my least favourite track on this album.

• Official Post

I never really thought WFTBO is a great track. To me, his first album ist music by somebody who is seeking his way. WFTBO was surely a dead end, so it remains quite unusual in his career.

same applies to Moribund, but that became a secret fan favorite. And I was blown away when he did that live in 2007

• I would like to know what people think of Waiting For The Big One, which I have read is supposed to be a tribute to Randy Newman - the piano, the drawling vocal, the cynical lyrics. I listened to it yesterday. For a start, it's far too long. Newman's songs are short & to the point.WFTBO just meandered around and went nowhere. I should point out that Newman is one of my heroes, and to be honest I think he could do a better impersonation of Peter than Peter did of him. I actually think it's my least favourite track on this album.

It was my number 4 choice!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I never really thought WFTBO is a great track. To me, his first album ist music by somebody who is seeking his way. WFTBO was surely a dead end, so it remains quite unusual in his career.

same applies to Moribund, but that became a secret fan favorite. And I was blown away when he did that live in 2007

I picked Moribund

And Solsbury hill, plus Humdrum

• I never really thought WFTBO is a great track. To me, his first album ist music by somebody who is seeking his way. WFTBO was surely a dead end, so it remains quite unusual in his career.

I much prefer Moribund to WFTBO. Moribund was my fourth choice, or was it Humdrum...

• Solsbury Hill

Humdrum

Here Comes The Flood

My picks also. Even though Solsbury Hill is played a lot, I never tire of it. Humdrum is a great little track. Here Comes the Flood is one of my favourite Gabriel songs. However, I do find this version a bit too bombastic and over the top. I prefer the one on Fripp's Exposure or the solo piano version he plays on that Kate Bush special.