GENESIS: Your favorite B-Sides / Non-Album tracks

• Official Post

Perfect choices. I think the ones you listed are the cream of the crop among their non album tracks. As one of the guys in the band said, it’s an embarrassment of riches; many of their b sides and such are better than most bands’ best tracks.

• You Might Recall and Evidence of Autumn are my top two for sure. Beyond that I chose On The Shoreline, It's Yourself, Feeding The Fire, and Twilight Alehouse.

The rest of that list has an incredible number of really good songs, it's incredible they didn't make the cut. I think that's proof just how "in the now" the band operated. I know some unused bits came back for later albums, but even when they were cranking out an album a year it's amazing they had enough great new material they rarely drew from that backlog to pad out the next album.

• tough choices ...

You might recall is obvious, so is On the shoreline

Do the neurotic should have been on the album

Anything now as well.

then Inside and out and It's yourself

• I totally agree re: Do the Neurotic. If they had to choose one instrumental to put on IT in my opinion DTN is vastly superior to The Brazilian.

• Official Post

I totally agree re: Do the Neurotic. If they had to choose one instrumental to put on IT in my opinion DTN is vastly superior to The Brazilian.

😧 Whatttt! Lol. No way; the Brazilian belongs as the instrumental. Mike’s guitar part at the end is sick. Do the Neurotic rocks, but better than the Brazilian..nah.

• Another Do The Neurotic fan here! For some reason, this one doesn't concern me as much as say Inside And Out. Might be because I always seem to turn off IT after Domino. Never liked Throwing It All Away either...

• 😧 Whatttt! Lol. No way; the Brazilian belongs as the instrumental. Mike’s guitar part at the end is sick. Do the Neurotic rocks, but better than the Brazilian..nah.

Don't know about sick but the guitar adds nice colour. I agree TB is way better, I find it much more distinctive and interesting. DTN is OK but for me doesn't live up to the opening with the percussion loop and guitar riff, and the way the dipping bass line comes in under. Once it gets going it's a bit generic, though with a nice energy. The edit is much better as the removed section is a bit naff. Probably the right decision to leave it off but I think the album would've stood having both instrumentals on.

Abandon all reason

• Shepherd

It's Yourself

Evidence of Autumn

You Might Recall

Do the Neurotic

Anything Now

But could happily have voted for many others. Some of my favourite G tracks are in this list. Evidence of Autumn and You Might Recall are favourite *songs* of mine, by any artist

• Official Post

Don't know about sick but the guitar adds nice colour. I agree TB is way better, I find it much more distinctive and interesting. DTN is OK but for me doesn't live up to the opening with the percussion loop and guitar riff, and the way the dipping bass line comes in under. Once it gets going it's a bit generic, though with a nice energy. The edit is much better as the removed section is a bit naff. Probably the right decision to leave it off but I think the album would've stood having both instrumentals on.

Good analysis. Do you think they will play TB on this upcoming tour?

• Don't know about sick but the guitar adds nice colour. I agree TB is way better, I find it much more distinctive and interesting. DTN is OK but for me doesn't live up to the opening with the percussion loop and guitar riff, and the way the dipping bass line comes in under. Once it gets going it's a bit generic, though with a nice energy. The edit is much better as the removed section is a bit naff. Probably the right decision to leave it off but I think the album would've stood having both instrumentals on.

I find DTN to be more creative than TB. I love the longer version, and the end is classic “It sounds the way joy feels,” similar to that really uplifting section near the end of Cinema Show that always gets a roar from the crowd. As they say, different strokes for different folks :)

• Do you think they will play TB on this upcoming tour?

My instinct is no they won't but I also think it'll be a tour in which some of the usual Genesis live rules won't apply so you never know.

When they announced the tour on BBC radio a listener suggested they include TB in the set. Banks seemed quite up for it while Rutherford groaned and said "oh god" as I recall.

Abandon all reason

• My instinct is no they won't but I also think it'll be a tour in which some of the usual Genesis live rules won't apply so you never know.

When they announced the tour on BBC radio a listener suggested they include TB in the set. Banks seemed quite up for it while Rutherford groaned and said "oh god" as I recall.

hahahaha.

It is funny as I seem to remember one of the documentaries where they are talking about The Brazilian, and Tony says in the direction of Mike, something along the lines of "you didn't do very much on that one, it was mostly me and Phil" to which Mike replied "well, there wasn't any space left, was there?!"

Maybe The Brazilian is to Mike what Deep in the Motherlode is to Tony!

As an aside: I agree, TB > DTN. I love them both, but TB is much more distinctive.

• It is funny as I seem to remember one of the documentaries where they are talking about The Brazilian, and Tony says in the direction of Mike, something along the lines of "you didn't do very much on that one, it was mostly me and Phil" to which Mike replied "well, there wasn't any space left, was there?!"

Maybe The Brazilian is to Mike what Deep in the Motherlode is to Tony!

As an aside: I agree, TB > DTN. I love them both, but TB is much more distinctive.

Tony doesn’t like Motherlode! :o

• You might recall and Evidence of autumn are my favorites. I also like Feeding the fire and On the shoreline from the later period. :thumbup:

#5 and 6 were tougher. I went for Let is now make love and then Anything now from the CAS sessions