Another interesting reaction to Genesis music

• The only red flag for me with this whole genre of reaction videos is how few times you watch a video and the person reacting says they don’t like the song. That virtually never happens. I figure they know that people who stumble across their reaction video are fans of the song (that’s how it comes up as a suggestion on YouTube in the first place) and they feel a need to give the viewer what they want. The one I’ve seen that stands out from that general approach was one I posted in this thread last week where a couple reacts to Supper’s Ready. The husband loved it and the wife seemed to barely tolerate it.

• The only red flag for me with this whole genre of reaction videos is how few times you watch a video and the person reacting says they don’t like the song. That virtually never happens. I figure they know that people who stumble across their reaction video are fans of the song (that’s how it comes up as a suggestion on YouTube in the first place) and they feel a need to give the viewer what they want. The one I’ve seen that stands out from that general approach was one I posted in this thread last week where a couple reacts to Supper’s Ready. The husband loved it and the wife seemed to barely tolerate it.

Very interesting point. I'd like to see one in reaction to some cherished classic like Stairway To Heaven, Hotel California or Freebird with the listener finding it a tedious load of old wank. Which of course, those songs are.

Abandon all reason

• I really don't see the problem. Young people promoting Genesis to other young people has to be good thing. Hasn't it?

Yes. Ultimately, who cares if a video of someone going wide-eyed and tearful at Musical Box is scripted and acted? To me it's just another angle on reviewing a song, just in a way that's aligned with the contemporary practices of internet influencers etc. If even just a small percentage of the audience is persuaded to investigate the music further and like it, as you say that's a good thing. I don't see any problem.

Who knows, maybe the ones we've been seeing here are commissioned by Tony Smith.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

I agree, it’s a way for people to experience the music anew. Not too dissimilar to what we are all doing on this forum. It’s an outlet for people to share their love of the band. It’s getting your thoughts out of your head, and into a common area where like minded people can discuss their likes and dislikes. I’ve watched a few of these videos since we’ve started discussing this, the only one that has bothered was the couple listening to carpet crawlers. Not sure why. The rest seem fine.

• Official Post

As has been outlined in various posts here, there are various levels of authenticity to those "reaction videos".

As has also been outlined in various posts here, though there are some markers that hint at those levels of authenticity we cannot usually say for sure whether they are genuine or fake or somewhere in between.

There is not much to be gained from going on in that vein.

Bringing up the vaxxing/antivaxxing topic serves only to poison the discussion. Please refrain from doing that! You're all above that.

To put it all in a nutshell:

Please remember your manners, and do return to the subject.

• As I said elsewhere it doesn't matter Well it doesn't matter to me as a genesis fan if it's a positive reaction . This is very old music . Years ago the reaction/ analysis was as a written critique in a music paper . We never saw the actual or any reaction to first hearing. It's entirely possible and probable that the critics never even bothered to listen or maybe gave it a passing listen . Most of the critical reaction was based on fashion , selling papers and looking cool. So maybe not so different. Difference today is that at least we see a reaction and know they have listened . A good reaction/ critique should always be received positively by fans .