Fascinating 1974 interview with Peter

• Just found this interesting interview with Peter recorded in Cleveland in 1974 during the SEBTP tour.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

Fascinating what has appeared on youtube recently. Thanks for sharing.

• Yeah that was very interesting. Funny how when talking about the early days of Genesis it all seems quite fresh in his mind - only a few years back of course! Do we have anything earlier than this, in terms of a full and frank interview? I'm sure we don't. I liked the piano improvisation (kept expecting to maybe hear a Genesis or early solo song in there, but no!). The tape is more like a fly on the wall recording so its fascinating for that alone - a snapshot of Genesis on tour in the early 70s. I do think he sounded quite bored and slightly uncomfortable though!

• Official Post

Yeah that was very interesting. Funny how when talking about the early days of Genesis it all seems quite fresh in his mind - only a few years back of course! Do we have anything earlier than this, in terms of a full and frank interview? I'm sure we don't. I liked the piano improvisation (kept expecting to maybe hear a Genesis or early solo song in there, but no!). The tape is more like a fly on the wall recording so its fascinating for that alone - a snapshot of Genesis on tour in the early 70s. I do think he sounded quite bored and slightly uncomfortable though!

Yes I thought the piano part was pretty cool. Haven’t gotten a chance to listen to the whole interview. He probably had his “game face” on for work, as he was about to take the stage for a show. Focused and all. That’s how I feel in the mornings before work. But something tells me from seeing other interviews, that Peter is kind of a reserved and quiet guy. Just an assumption. Very cool find, thanks for sharing.

• For some of the songs he discusses I never knew who wrote the lyrics (other than Supper’s Ready, which I knew was 100% Peter). It’s interesting to hear PG give credit where credit is due for individual songs. Not that it surprises me that he would be willing to credit others in the band for lyrics to iconic songs, it’s just refreshing given the degree of backbiting that you see in some other bands of that era (The Band and Eagles come to mind) over who deserves the credit for the music and lyrics in certain songs.

• He probably had his “game face” on for work, as he was about to take the stage for a show. Focused and all. That’s how I feel in the mornings before work. But something tells me from seeing other interviews, that Peter is kind of a reserved and quiet guy.

You've reminded me, my brother who's a graphic designer used to work with a photographer called Peter Gabriel. As a huge Genesis fan he of course remarked on the name and the guy took it all in good grace, saying that unsurprisingly he frequently had this same conversation. He told a story of how back in the early 70s he was introduced to PG by a mutual acquaintance who must have worked in their crew or at a venue, because the guy only chose to make the introduction backstage at a gig, moments before the band were due on stage. The acquaintance really just wanted the chance to say "Peter Gabriel, may I introduce Peter Gabriel" but obviously the moment he chose for it wasn't ideal and the photographer said PG was understandably very distracted and just about mumbled "Er, yeah, hello" before rushing off. Although as you say, I'm not sure how much more of a response there'd have been if the introduction took place in more relaxed surroundings.

Abandon all reason

• God damn, Peter's explanation of Supper's Ready makes me understand the song even less!

Yep. I've been absolutely happy with my understanding of, SR and now nearly 50 years ago PG goes and confuses me all over again!

• Official Post

Yep. I've been absolutely happy with my understanding of, SR and now nearly 50 years ago PG goes and confuses me all over again!

It’s like in interviews when he describes The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway as a sort of Pilgrim’s Progress. Like that even begins to describe the story behind the Lamb! Haha. I think Peter is great, but his explanations about the meaning behind songs is mysterious.