Your next gig

• The Charlatans, tonight at Aberdeen Music Hall. Just waiting for the train from Inverness, building a 2-day trip around the gig.

Over about 20 years I've been trying to see them but there's always been something preventing me - I'd be already booked into something else or it coincided with my being away. I was scheduled to see this Aberdeen show last December but it got postponed due to the inevitable covid. Of course.

When I got news we were about to complete on the sale of our London flat I thought, this is going to clash with the gig isn't it! But luckily the sale completes next week. Phew!

That said I'm still not going to believe I'm finally seeing them until they actually walk out on stage and start playing...

Abandon all reason

• I've extended my Glasgow trip so that, along with seeing Bob Mould at Oran Mor as originally planned, I'm now also seeing Sharon Van Etten the previous night at the iconic Barrowlands. My first visit to either venue.

Heading down tomorrow, back up on Friday. There'll be much strolling, looking, eating and drinking involved too.

Abandon all reason

• I realized that I forgot to update upcoming shows recently. ^^

Over the past 10 days, I have seen The Musical Box, Kraftwerk 3D (which was truly excellent), and, just last night, Tears For Fears. They are now off to the UK for their tour there after tonight.

If you are a fan of the band (TFF, that is), do yourself a favor and see this show - it was outstanding! The new album is a bit mellow, but still very good. Along with the new album, the album that got the 2nd-most songs on the setlist was their debut album, “The Hurting”! This was a bit of a surprise, but a very good one; I like their debut album almost every bit as much as their more-famous “Songs From The Big Chair”. Also, their light show was stunning! So, again, if you’re in the UK and you like them, do yourself a favor and catch a show.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I realized that I forgot to update upcoming shows recently. ^^

Over the past 10 days, I have seen The Musical Box, Kraftwerk 3D (which was truly excellent), and, just last night, Tears For Fears. They are now off to the UK for their tour there after tonight.

If you are a fan of the band (TFF, that is), do yourself a favor and see this show - it was outstanding! The new album is a bit mellow, but still very good. Along with the new album, the album that got the 2nd-most songs on the setlist was their debut album, “The Hurting”! This was a bit of a surprise, but a very good one; I like their debut album almost every bit as much as their more-famous “Songs From The Big Chair”. Also, their light show was stunning! So, again, if you’re in the UK and you like them, do yourself a favor and catch a show.

My favorite TFF album is the Seeds of Love. It’s one of those rare albums that doesn’t have a single song I feel the need to skip over to the next song.

• My favorite TFF album is the Seeds of Love. It’s one of those rare albums that doesn’t have a single song I feel the need to skip over to the next song.

Different strokes for different folks…I certainly like that album; however, of their first three albums, it’s easily my least favorite. The production on it is a bit too slick for my liking. They played 3 songs from it in concert (in fact, the first 3 songs on the album are the ones they played).

I expected more from that album, but, as I already mentioned, I was very pleasantly surprised that their debut album got such prominent presence in the setlist.

• I love music and gigs, but I rarely get to go any more because of life. Even when bands I love play nearby I can almost never go. Sharon Van Etten and Beach House played this summer and I missed them.

I just found out Suede are playing in the US in November, a headlining tour with the Manics. This is remarkable because Suede aren't that big in the US, and never tour here since their gear was stolen on a tour in the 1990s. I got tickets to see them in a theater in November.

I also saw Genesis in Jan, and have a ticket to see the Smashing Pumpkins in October.

...meaning that, improbably, I *should* be seeing my top 3 favorite bands from the past twenty years* ALL IN THE SAME YEAR 🤯.

All in the same year. Holy fuck. HOLY FUUUUUUUCK LET'S GOOOOOOOOO!!! 😃😃😃

*Foals have since joined the ranks but only in the last 6 months so I'm not counting 'em, also can't be too greedy.

• Not heard much Beach House but what I have heard, I like and must conduct further investigations. Great news re Suede and hey, the manics aren't too shabby a live act either. Lipsmacking stuff.

To my previously mentioned itinerary of 10CC and Angel Olsen I can now add Maggie Rogers of whom I've become a bit of a fan this year (see the 'new to me' thread for her in a lovely outfit doing a really nice song).

I've booked for KT Tunstall in March and am considering Hillage/Gong, same month. I always try to see KTT as she is one of the best live performers, and I saw the Hillage/Gong combo in 2019 and thoroughly enjoyed it. They seem to be playing at the same Glasgow venue, a converted warehouse next to some railway arches down the end of a long dark road of the type where you think there's a slight chance you might, just possibly, get stabbed. I like that feeling! (as long as it doesn't come true).

By the way -

because of life

- this is crying out to be the title of something.

Abandon all reason

• Hoping to get tickets for Sting in February. I haven't seen him since 1986, the year of the legendary Brothers In Arms tour (and no, he didn't join Dire Straits at the show I saw).

• I just found out Suede are playing in the US in November, a headlining tour with the Manics. This is remarkable because Suede aren't that big in the US, and never tour here since their gear was stolen on a tour in the 1990s. I got tickets to see them in a theater in November.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this!

I have now gotten a ticket to see them in Philly in November. I had to do quick investigative work to find the presale password (if you are a fan of one/both bands, go to the Manics website to the tour announcement section for the password). I also found out that they are alternating which band is the closer in each city; fortunately for me, Philadelphia is a city where Suede are the closing act - I'm a MUCH bigger fan of Suede.

I have been a fan of this band since they released "Coming Up" (1996). The Bernard Butler era is still my favorite (i.e., their albums before "Coming Up" - "Dog Man Star", IMHO, is one of the best albums of the 90s and is still my all-time favorite of theirs); however, I love virtually everything they have ever recorded (I even don't hate "A New Morning", the album that divides opinion the most among the Suede fanbase - it's not their best album, to be sure, but it still has some decent tracks on it).

As you alluded to, they have not toured here since their single ill-fated tour here back when Bernard was still in the band. (Along with the theft of their gear, another negative about the tour is that they toured here just after Bernard endured the death of his father - this, among other reasons (including the oft-appearing "creative differences"), contributed to his leaving the band.) Thus, I have never seen them live. I even didn't manage to see them when I was living in England (2009 - 2016) - the tickets just sold out too fast. They mostly played London, and, when they ventured further afield, they always played very small places.

This drought now ends in 2022 - thank goodness! :thumbup:

I'm a little miffed that the Suede fansite mailing list didn't send out info about the presale; I've been on that for years. If I had gotten the password on time, I would have been in the GA pit for certain! However, I am very, very happy to have an actual ticket to a Suede show happening in North America. Thanks again for mentioning it! 8)

• Oh, by the way, my next gig is Porcupine Tree at The Met (yes, the same Met as mentioned in the previous post). I haven't seen them live since 2009 at Colston Hall in Bristol (See? I even got to see them in England, but not Suede! :rolleyes:^^).

I wonder if they are back for good or just for this one tour - either way, I am very happy to see them again. :thumbup: