GENESIS - "The Last Domino?" on 2CD and 4LP-set

• Official Post
  • Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “GENESIS will releae a new compilation: "The Last Domino?" comes this September” to “GENESIS will release a new compilation: "The Last Domino?" comes this September”.
  • Thanks Christian. I initially, in my haste to read the news release, misinterpreted it as a live release. It's really odd that they would put out (another) greatest hits album when I"m willing to bet all of us have every track listed. To each his own, I suppose.

• Pretty interesting release. I have a feeling some of these songs will be performed on the tour.

Well, that is what they said in the release notes:

[...] with the majority of tracks to be performed on the tour [...]

I am wondering if I Can't Dance has ever been played back to back to Dancing with the Moonlit Knight?!

At least the topic is dance.

No!

• Official Post

Thanks Christian. I initially, in my haste to read the news release, misinterpreted it as a live release. It's really odd that they would put out (another) greatest hits album when I"m willing to bet all of us have every track listed. To each his own, I suppose.

the target group for this release surely are not the die hard fans. It isn’t that unusual to have a new compilation after not being on tour for 14 years

• the target group for this release surely are not the die hard fans. It isn’t that unusual to have a new compilation after not being on tour for 14 years

Band managements often take the view that a co-ordinated package is required. It makes sense that for a band who've been inactive for so long, a tour will coincide with a compilation - there being no new stuff, of course. It all adds to the visibility and general buzz.

A few interesting choices there, eg opening with Duke's End/TIOA which kind of mirrors the 07 tour. I favour the mixed-up compilation, chronological ones are so dull. Odd that apart from In Too Deep, all the IT ones are bunched together.

Nothing pre-SEBTP. Which is likely to match the set, also as per 07.

The target group for this release are surely not graphic designers because they know how to cast shadows correctly.

You're assuming the grey splodge is meant to be a shadow.

Abandon all reason

• the target group for this release surely are not the die hard fans. It isn’t that unusual to have a new compilation after not being on tour for 14 years

Then it's going to be an awfully small "target group". A casual listener is probably not going to plunk down $$ to buy (yet another) compilation. Now, if it's part of a broader marketing strategy to increase ticket sales (I thought the shows were mostly sold out anyway?), I suppose there's some justification for that. Clealry, I"m bored if I'm micro-analyzing a greatest hits package lol.

• questions:

is Duke's End actually an edit of Behind the Lines' beginning, bumped next to its counterpart at the end of Duke's End and mixed in transition to TIOA? (i.e. like the live track from the 07 tour?)

Will Cinema Show segue into Afterglow? If not, is there a fade-in to Afterglow? (otherwise you get a bit of In that Quiet Earth when Afterglow's drums start)

Duchess will fade in/out? (lookin' for clean edits here people)

Is Firth of Fifth the whole song or are they recreating the '07 live cut with a segue into IKWIL?

Is Tonight, Tonight, Tonight the whole song or a shorter version (again, like the live '07) and segue's into IT?

Moonlit Knight: at one time they did the beginning of this song and after the "selling England by the pound" lyric, they went into CC -- is that what they're doing here?

... okay if this is a studio version recreation of live versions, then I'm in. I've edited some tracks like that myself but would enjoy a pro version.

• On the US leg of the Duke Tour, rather than leading into Carpet Crawlers SEBTP led directly into Squonk.

• questions

They certainly are.

The above and eg HMV listing doesn't suggest 'edit' for anything other than Abacab so it's safe to assume the rest are as normal with segued tracks obviously fading out, with it remaining to be seen if Duchess fades in or starts as the single did, which would be better.

Abandon all reason

• Yup, I remember it well. Truth be told, I wasn't keen on the "lounge lizard" version of Dancing Out. It was really slow and none of the high bits were sung by Phil at the time.

Listening to the one time Phil sang DWTMK in its entirety (Chicago 1978) you can hear him struggle with the high notes. I’ve always figured after that those parts of the song were off limits from Phil’s perspective.

• They certainly are.

The above and eg HMV listing doesn't suggest 'edit' for anything other than Abacab so it's safe to assume the rest are as normal with segued tracks obviously fading out, with it remaining to be seen if Duchess fades in or starts as the single did, which would be better.

with some calculations, if we take all these as full album versions (except abacab) then runtimes are:

CD1: 1h 17m 11s

CD2: 1h 19m 45s <-- that's really close to the max, full abacab couldn't fit

here's my excel math in the attached image (for funsies):

• Full versions of Cinema Show, Firth of Fifth, TTT and DWTMN. Sign me up!