GENESIS - "The Last Domino?" on 2CD and 4LP-set

• Like most of us here I’ll be glad just to see them together on stage. But if this is an indicator of the set list it confirms my fears about the unadventurous nature of things. Basically a re-hash of the last few tours. Hopefully there will be at least one surprise and I’d be very disappointed not to get a bit of Supper’s Ready, which they wouldn’t put on this CD I suppose, so there is still hope.

• But the listing on the website is pretty forensic, specifying which remasters etc, Domino (parts 1&2) and Abacab as the edit. So they'd probably say if your guesses were the case.

Makes sense. Not sure how the playlists would work if that's the case. Only other thing I can think is that the whole thing is haphazardly put together, incorrectly listed and not well communicated! Someone asleep at the wheel maybe...

• I have no idea who this release is supposed to appeal to. Existing fans of the band? Hardly, as they already have everything on it, in all likelihood. New fans? Seriously, there are more white rhinos in the wild than there are new Genesis fans.

This is just the lamest release, which may as well have been titled “We’ve run out of ideas of what to do with the music of Genesis”.

Look at King Crimson. Unbelievable riches. Sets based around a single album that run to 20+ discs. Look at Jethro Tull. Fantastic book-sets that explore each album at length, with around 100 pages of interesting reading, and discs of additional material (studio and live). I’m a fan of the band, but this is poor. It seems only five minutes ago that they put out R-Kive.

Why this? I’ve no idea, in all honesty. Maybe had one glass of wine too many tonight, so feel free to correct me...

• Can certainly understand your disappointment. But it has to be said, there's no way in hell the record company would put this out if they didnt think there was a market for it.

• I have to admit I won’t be buying it. I might consider it if it was a single CD of the best non-album cuts from across the entire history of the band. Just the choicest cuts.

• Not sure there's anything to correct. It's been pointed out before, Genesis seem very 'unemotional' about their archives, or maybe they feel there's not enough interest, or that there's nothing left to release. In the same vein as the bands you mentioned, two of my (other) favorite bands, Suede and Smashing Pumpkins have released sprawling multi disc deluxe editions of their albums, dozens of extra tracks, unreleased live versions, demos, remixes, other shit from the vaults. It's not to say that because they did it, Genesis should, but there is and has been a trend for band to do these bumper versions of albums that Genesis seem to have zero inclination toward. I guess they did the box sets and those archives boxes but compared to what other bands seem to be able to excavate, it falls short. The more likely route for them to expand their releases I would think is the supposed trove of soundboard recordings but again, motivation seems to be hovering slightly below nil.

• I don’t think this compilation would have anything to do with the setlist. Nick Collins himself said there were songs they tried to rehearse but were eventually abandoned. Their setlist choices could still be evolving. It’s just another hits package to coincide with the tour ... nothing more, nothing less.

• I don’t think this compilation would have anything to do with the setlist. Nick Collins himself said there were songs they tried to rehearse but were eventually abandoned. Their setlist choices could still be evolving. It’s just another hits package to coincide with the tour ... nothing more, nothing less.

They filmed a version of the final show from rehearsals though, in case the tour never happened. I doubt it's 'evolving'. And there's some form of statement from the band or their representatives that the majority of the tracks on this release will be played on the tour. I think the show is done. I think this compilation represents the bulk of the show, improbable as it is that it landed on us like this. I think none of the findings are a big surprise. Maybe there'll be a small something in the show no one was expecting - many too many or squonk maybe - but overall I think we have a blueprint, and a fairly predictable one at that. I'd like to be wrong, and I'm intensely excited for the show, whatever they play.

Not sure where the bit about Nic saying they rehearsed songs that were abandoned comes into all this...

My impression is that the setlist is in fact set. From the interviews I’ve listened to with Daryl and Nic it sounds like it was set before they had to postpone the tour. Daryl and Nic were given a list of songs for rehearsals and some of them were dropped after rehearsals. Also Nic said they had everything completely ready before the postponement. Given the lighting cues, all the special effect images, and Phil’s well-known obsession with striving for perfection on stage I highly suspect the setlist is done.

• I will buy it - I collect this stuff and this will add up nicely on my shelf. Whether or not this is a useful release for fans… not sure. I don’t care really. I can decide what to buy and what not. So they make an offer and we say yes or no.

But obviously most of us would be more excited about board tapes or a Lamb boxset (what happened to that by the way?)

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• This release comes as no surprise. Its lazy and it requires very little effort.

Compilations for the band are nothing new.

Hits 1999

Platinum Collection 2004

TIAO tour edition 2007

R-Kive 2014

and now

The Last Domino 2021.

For a band with an archive full of multi track live recordings, its a lost opportunity. But then its easy money, very little outlay etc.

We shall not be buying it.

TGA

• For a band with an archive full of multi track live recordings, its a lost opportunity.

Yes. Anyone remember this?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• To be fair to the band, they have put out some decent archival releases. Archive 1 and 2 had plenty of unreleased or hard to find stuff. The boxed sets compiled all the main tracks, had a more complete Rainbow concert, and had interviews for every album. That's pretty good. A number of artists haven't done this much.

I think it becomes frustrating when we compare what has been released to what we know exists for possible release and when we compare to other artists that have gone into their archives more thoroughly.

• Official Post

Yes. Anyone remember this?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That’s really cool. How wild would it be to have the complete set of tapes for all their concerts?

• The new compilation is nothing to worry about. Don’t know why some fan discuss about this for days. Just don’t buy it. Or do if you want.

The Farm Tapes thing is indeed frustrating. I believe Mike said a while ago in one of the interviews that this project is no longer … sad!

• “Don’t know why some fan discuss about this for days. Just don’t buy it. Or do if you want.

I think it’s discussed because it’s one of the very few new things to discuss. If not this, then what?

As someone who likes the band, I have all the available studio recordings, but would love to hear more. Alas, there appears to be no more in the war chest.

I have a faint hope that someone associated with the band/record company comes here from time to time to ascertain what people want.

I use this platform to say that I don’t want this, but would give them my money if something more interesting was offered.

Plus, it’s sometimes good just to get things off your chest!