GENESIS - "The Last Domino?" on 2CD and 4LP-set

• We had some of the 1994 Definitive Edition remasters, all of the box sets.

Why would we want compilation after compilation.

There's demo's in their archive, but supposedly the Mama demo on Archive got a luke warm reception, so that put them off.

There's full show, multitrack tapes from pretty much all of the tours from the Lamb onwards.

Yet, no live archival releases... just this compilation. Which was cheap to put together.

Another missed opportunity.

TGA

• Official Post

we don't want a compilation like this. But this is a major tour and such a release is pretty normal. This is not for hardcore fans. This compilation is not a problem.

The problem is that they don't release relevant stuff for fans.

• I like all eras but much prefer earlier albums. I suppose we have to remember that there are 761 members of this forum at the moment. We probably represent a bigger number of fans but I’m not sure enough to convince a reluctant band to invest time and money in revisiting the vaults. I wish they would. I do think they show a disregard for this part of their fan base and I’ve said before that the websites- when they bother to have one at all- are woeful and the fact that the box sets are out of print is very poor. Let’s hope they do eventually produce a Lamb box set; I’m sure it would be critically acclaimed and if enough people bought it, that might spur them on to do more. Otherwise I’m not optimistic. The live tapes would be an easy one as someone else would do all the work but I think they would have done that by now if it was going to happen.

• Most interesting bit of this album is the mention of the 2021/2022 in the promo text 😎

Despite earlier plans they might have had - now they have to find new dates for Dublin and I am quite sure they won’t do it this year…

... make tomorrow today!

• Compact Disc 2

01 Mama (2007 Remaster)

02 The Carpet Crawlers (2007 Stereo Mix)

03 Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (2007 Remaster)

04 Firth of Fifth (New Stereo Mix)

05 Abacab (Edit)

06 Los Endos (2007 Remaster)

07 Fading Lights (2007 Remaster)

08 The Cinema Show (New Stereo Mix)

09 Dancing with the Moonlit Knight (New Stereo Mix)

10 The Musical Box (New Stereo Mix)

What New Stereo Mix means? ?(

A shorter version? 8)

Who Dunnit...Nick Davis? 8)

Edited 2 times, last by rkive ().

• Official Post

Could be the versions from the Platinum Collection or the 2008 remixes.

• Not sure I am the target audience....not entirely sure who the target is unless it's completists.

There doesn't appear to be much, if anything, new here. I wouldn't buy CDs or a download. If I were to buy anything it would be the vinyl and I think I'll save my 60 quid for the 4LP live album that I hope to see next year.

However it is intriguing how many of these might make the set. The two different track listings do make me wonder if they've settled on two sets, one for UK and one for the USA? Then combine both for the live releases? Possibly wishful thinking.

• Official Post

Not sure I am the target audience....not entirely sure who the target is unless it's completists.

There doesn't appear to be much, if anything, new here. I wouldn't buy CDs or a download. If I were to buy anything it would be the vinyl and I think I'll save my 60 quid for the 4LP live album that I hope to see next year.

However it is intriguing how many of these might make the set. The two different track listings do make me wonder if they've settled on two sets, one for UK and one for the USA? Then combine both for the live releases? Possibly wishful thinking.

What would make me excited and probably many of us would be a new album. New material. I’m kind of hoping a successful tour will prompt some creative juices and, wishful thinking on my part, a new album. Not gonna happen though.

• While all of these guys seem content to do their own thing I wonder if being together in the same room would help get the creative juices flowing knowing they don't have to do 100% of the work to put a song together.

• Just looked it up ..There will be rare and unseen images of the band within the hardback gatefold book style package . Fantastic. We really need more photos. So it's bound to be worth it whatever the cost.!!

• Ah, I wonder if this means we'll finally see the pic of Rutherford painted purple and wrapping tagliatelle around a concrete bollard, as mentioned in the Acting Very Strange thread (rejected cover image idea, and in my view much better than the lame final version).

Abandon all reason

• What would make me excited and probably many of us would be a new album. New material. I’m kind of hoping a successful tour will prompt some creative juices and, wishful thinking on my part, a new album. Not gonna happen though.

Would be lovely....but everything they do and say suggests they're not interested.

Personally I think they theoretically could if they went back to the pre-Abacab ways....Phil has been working on some songs for a few years. Mike probably has some ideas that he hasn't used with The Mechanics. Tony? He's not mentioned working on any new music as far as I know, has even talked about going into semi-retirement after his classical albums. But they don't want to bring existing material into a Genesis project like they used to 30+ years ago. And the failure of CAS still weighs heavily on both Mike and Tony.

But...if Phil and Mike did bring in their existing song ideas, and the three did some jamming....I am sure they could come up with 45 minutes of decent music. They just don't appear to want to. At all.

Mr. Hackett can still put out music that sounds somewhat like 70s Genesis....but the chances of them asking for his assistance in putting together one final album are in the realms of the infinite improbability drive....

So I'm holding out for a 3 or 4LP live box set and Blu Ray.

• Bizarre thought. If it comes out on cassette I might just buy it.....because I still use a Walkman and a compilation is good for train journeys and flights - when the latter are feasible again.

I am struggling to find a reason to buy the box set as things stand....but I did buy Pink Floyd's Echoes.....having said that, I didn't own a couple of Floyd albums at the time.

• I think he means INCLUDING. If they are different, he'd want both. Myself, I want neither! ;)

same here. What for? Don’t care about this release really. Doesn’t bother me one way or the other.

... make tomorrow today!

• Official Post

Out today!

Feel free to post some impressions, especially about the packaging and the LP-set.

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “GENESIS will release a new compilation: "The Last Domino?" comes this September” to “GENESIS - "The Last Domino?" on 2CD and 4LP-set”.