Hello from Italy / Vacation thread

• Official Post

Hi everyone

i usually spent most of my summer holidays in Southern Europe, and Italy is always part of that. This year it’s only Italy. We are currently in Ferrara over nicht, then down south to the “toe”, Calabria. Later on we will also be in Tuscany for a while.

Glad we can do this in 2021. We are both vaccinated and my partner’s daughter has been tested negative, so that wasn’t a big problem. A lot of traffic on the road, though …

do you have vacation plans this year?

• Congratulations! What a fabulous vacation! Great that you have both been vaccinated. and your partner’s daughter tested negative. Our vacation was much less exotic: a week at the beach in North Carolina. Hope you all have a great, relaxing time.

• I'm stupidly excited because on Tuesday I head off for 8 days at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. It's just about my favourite thing, my favourite city and usually do it every year but of course it didn't happen last year. I'll be in my usual apartment just along from the Grassmarket, going to see about 25 productions and 3 films, and meals at 4 of my favourite restaurants. Pure indulgence.

I'll be on the early morning train from Inverness, in Edinburgh by 11.30, first show at 5pm... staged on a beach. Sure it might rain but I couldn't care less.

Mrs B has to work, unlike Mr Leisure that I am, but she joins me for the last 4 days. She'll come to a couple of the shows with me but otherwise will keep herself occupied, she loves the city too.

I've just finished all my packing today, made the final arrangements so can relax tomorrow. Oh man, I can't wait.

(Oh and we're both fully vaccinated. Just thought I'd mention it).

Abandon all reason

• I mentioned in another thread I'm in the middle of two weeks off right now. Spent the first week in a basic cottage on a lake in Maine. No moose were sighted, but had fun swimming, among other things. Also found a dealer of rare-ish Stephen King books at a roadside shack!

Next week, something similar but in Massachusetts, somewhere called the Berkshires.

Would ordinarily spend holidays visiting family in Ireland or Canada, but that's difficult to impossible at the moment.

• Travelling is the activity I love most but I can't afford it, and I am currently in lockdown in Sydney, so even if I could afford it, I can't. The last place I went was Gosford on the NSW Central Coast to see my Rugby League team play. I can't even go to games any more as the competition has been moved to Queensland. So I envy everyone here who can travel.

• Had a week in Tenby, south Wales (the old one) back in June, going back to the same cottage in Sept for another week.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I am in Denmark right now for three weeks. We are at the West Coast boarding at a holiday house in the dunes. The weather is quite cold but mostly fine. We did long trips with the bike across the fantastic dune landscape and visited the lovely little towns all around. Weather permitted a bath in the North Sea on two days so far. Wifey is still waiting for a SUP trip on the firth once the permanent wind goes down a bit.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• Had a week in Tenby, south Wales (the old one) back in June, going back to the same cottage in Sept for another week.

As an aside, Tenby is mentioned in the new Manic Street Preachers single!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I am in Denmark right now for three weeks. We are at the West Coast boarding at a holiday house in the dunes. The weather is quite cold but mostly fine. We did long trips with the bike across the fantastic dune landscape and visited the lovely little towns all around. Weather permitted a bath in the North Sea on two days so far. Wifey is still waiting for a SUP trip on the firth once the permanent wind goes down a bit.

Have you been up to - Skagen is it? - where you can actually see 2 seas converging? Somewhere I'd like to visit.

I always like Danish people I meet. They tend to have a really pleasant slightly off-beat character.

Abandon all reason

• We are around 120miles South of Skagen. We will go there for a day trip next week. And yes, the Danish are a very friendly people. They are said to be the happiest people in Europe.

Christian, aren`t you melting away in the South European furnace right now?

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• Official Post

I'm very much looking forward to spending a couple of weeks with my family at my parents' place, and a week on an island in the North Sea. We planned to go there through the Netherlands, but recent developments made that unfeasible.

I really need that vacation. I just hope I get through the remaining seven working days without telling them they can, ah, "copulate away" with their intellectually challenged requests.

• Official Post

We are around 120miles South of Skagen. We will go there for a day trip next week. And yes, the Danish are a very friendly people. They are said to be the happiest people in Europe.

Christian, aren`t you melting away in the South European furnace right now?

I do. 38° today, but tomorrow will be less, around 30° they predict. And although this region is not THAT affected by the fires, we can small it in the air sometimes :(

Found a top class winemaker here and a great beach. And this is only day 1.

• I killed some time sat on a bench on The Meadows so was possibly very nearby you genesis1964 assuming you're at home. Now at the excellent Three Birds enjoying a reliably good dinner before strolling over to the Cameo to see The Sparks Brothers.

Sometimes, life is Good (deliberate cap).

Abandon all reason

• I killed some time sat on a bench on The Meadows so was possibly very nearby you genesis1964 assuming you're at home. Now at the excellent Three Birds enjoying a reliably good dinner before strolling over to the Cameo to see The Sparks Brothers.

Sometimes, life is Good (deliberate cap).

Hope you enjoying your time in Edinburgh. Last year when there was no festival it was a strange time here but hopefully the buzz will now be back.

Ah the Meadows - such a large area. I am at the end near the tennis courts.

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Official Post

If you want to can check my Instagram account for some impressions from my vacation

https://instagram.com/iphret?r=nametag