20, 21, 22 September | Genesis live in BIRMINGHAM | reports **SPOILERS**

• Duchess:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I have a strong feelin that will be the high point for me when I see them. Brought a tear to my eye that did.

• The problem with the segue between fading Lights and Cinema Show is that it feels like a bad edit: there is no transition into it, just BANG. In my opinion, it felt clumsy.

There are other new 'junctions' between songs: only short musical phrases, but some are quite interesting.

Yes, I agree this did seem a little sudden. Also disappointing not to have the Fading Lights instrumental too, but if you have to replace it with anything, I guess Cinema Show is a good option.

I thought a full version of Fading Lights would have worked well as a finale, given the theme of the song. Mind you, I might have dissolved into a tearful mess had they done that. :)

• That could be it.

I know it was mentioned somewhere earlier that in the programme they also list a third guitarist.

Almost certainly a guitar tech as he seemed to be tuning one of the guitars in the early part of the clip. He's looking down at a tuner, more than likely.

• If anyone is going tonight and recording videos, please record and show clips that haven't been seen as yet, a lot of people posted the same songs and parts, so woul dbe nice to see other songs and sections etc

• The programme lists Anthony Drennan as a member of the band - I think I read that unfortunately Daryl's wife isn't very well so is AD on standby in case he's not available for any of the shows

Daryl's wife has been battling breast cancer.

Daryl went with Michaela to her treatments at Aurora Cancer Care in Grafton. But about five weeks into her therapy, he had to leave for a world tour. Knowing she was in such incredible hands made it easier for Daryl to leave, “I almost didn’t go, but everyone there was so comforting and so personable. It helped to keep you out of the dark places.”

https://advocategiving.org/202…a-cancer-care-in-grafton/

• Coming back to the setlist, I really wonder why they kept Throwing It All Away, Tonight and Invisible Touch...

Phil played 2 of these songs on his solo tour, exactly the same way.

And TTT does not have any purpose played that way, I think.

I know IT is "the big hit", so it's complicated to do without it. But you know...

2 songs from IT is enough - but essential ! - for me (and these two songs, LOC and Domino are the basis of the show in a way).

I would have left room for other songs (From Trick...).

I really like Carpet Crawlers (personal favorite), but I would have preferred a more energetic closing. They did it in 1998 and 2007, so it would have been a nice change. Musical Box in E or D Major could have worked, I think.

Anyway...(;)) what a great show it seemed to be !

• TTT has to stay in, but yeah, I can happily do with IT and would have liked Abacab to have been in the set personally.

• I'm sorry but I just can't stop comparing 2 "recent" versions of DOWTMK, the one form last night and this one from 5 years ago:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• "Duchess" sounds really powerful.

Was just thinking how two of my favorite bands - Genesis and the Rolling Stones - played their first of very significant and heavily scrutinized shows of their twilight years last night. Not sure who made out better.

I think Genesis made out better.

I watched a few of the clips from the Stones' Gillette Stadium show, and I don't think Steve Jordan is a good fit at all. It sounded very jarring to me. They don't sound like the Stones.

• It’s such a disappointment that they’re not playing Tonight, Tonight, Tonight in full. Surely there isn’t a single fan who prefers it this way?

I prefer the long version of course. But the shorter version allows for additional song(s), so I'm not too bothered.

I still say that Tonight, Tonight, Tonight would have made a great opening song, instead of Duke's Intro/Turn It On Again for the 2nd tour in a row. TTT would have been been nice moody intro to the show... set the atmosphere.

• I still say that Tonight, Tonight, Tonight would have made a great opening song, instead of Duke's Intro/Turn It On Again for the 2nd tour in a row. TTT would have been been nice moody intro to the show... set the atmosphere.

I’ve only seen the last few tours and they seem to swap between ‘dark and moody’ intros, like Mama, and ‘bright and confident’ starters like Abacab or the Duke suite. Like you, I think I prefer a moody start. Going back, historically they’d start with numbers like Watcher or Squonk, so there doesn’t seem to be a pattern.

I wonder what thinking goes on when they’re planning the order?

• I’ve only seen the last few tours and they seem to swap between ‘dark and moody’ intros, like Mama, and ‘bright and confident’ starters like Abacab or the Duke suite. Like you, I think I prefer a moody start. Going back, historically they’d start with numbers like Watcher or Squonk, so there doesn’t seem to be a pattern.

I wonder what thinking goes on when they’re planning the order?

Don't get me wrong. I like Duke's Intro/Turn It On Again as an intro. But it's a new tour, so why not try something else in that slot? Same goes for ending with Carpet Crawlers.