20, 21, 22 September | Genesis live in BIRMINGHAM | reports **SPOILERS**

• That's cringe imo. Sounds like a ringtone

I mean, I get it, but I've heard it that many times in my life that it's latched on to my brain and I don't mind hearing it again. It's no 'Ecstasy of Gold' though

--------------------------------------

'When you wake in the morning

Wake and find you're covered in cellophane

Well, there's a hole in there somewhere'

--------------------------------------

• Official Post

Duchess from the 22nd

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

... and the Acoustic section

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Not much has been mentioned regarding the redition of "Afterglow" and I'm wondering what you others thought. ( I haven't watched any clips as I want to wait for the show). I ask because just before the pandemic I was in the process of putting a covers band together to do a charity concert of some of my all time favourite songs. I had difficulty finding a singer who could handle Afterglow because of the Key change part way through. This is when I realised that Phil was an even more awesome singer than I had previously thought. I'm a drummer by the way so not a musician. LOL!

• Some more thoughts. Obviously watching videos shot on phones and live streamed is not anything like being there. I have at least five friends who were at one of the first two concerts and they all had a great time, including one who was healthily sceptical about what to expect - in terms of Phil's singing and the set list.

I also have perfect pitch so I do always notice songs transposed....but Genesis are far from the only older artists to do this. Elton John has been for many years. The Lord Peter Gabriel himself did when he recorded Lamb overdubs back in the late 90s for the box set. It's not a surprise and not an option to do anything else other than not sing at all. We all get older. Mama sounds even more creepy in the new key than it ever did. And it's supposed to sound creepy. Duchess somehow sounds right. Other songs, feel a bit different. But I would rather hear them sung by the band who wrote them that way than not at all. Remember folks, after this it's Hackett, tribute bands and karaoke.

I'm surprised Apocalypse isn't in the set after everything Nic said. It now doesn't even appear to have been rehearsed in October 2020. I am stull unsure about the new arrangement of The Lamb but I do applaud the guys for spending time and effort on trying something different. Overall the concerts worked. Better than most expected. Musically the band is firing on all cylinders. Phil still sounds like Phil, just an older version. He does come alive on stage and is getting more enthusiastic about his banter with the audience. They'll be in the palm of his hand by the time they get to London.

Thanks for the write up. I'll be seeing them twice in Chicago.

During the 07 tour, there was a German guy who went to every European show and had front row. He was known by everybody. We hung out with him in Berne and Linz. Cool dude. I forgot his name, but did you see him there for these shows?

• thanks for the archive report, very good. I mentioned in an earlier post how apprehensive the band and audience seemed, which is understandable.

Reckon by the time roll into London, could be a very different vibe with the band in full flow and Phil much more confident...although don't expect a smile from Tony😄

• This video annoyed me

• This video annoyed me

Why though? It's all opinions and sure this video won't keep you from enjoying them.

• As Fabrizio said, it's just an opinion from a lover of Genesis. Having watched some of the videos posted on their gig, I was quite surprised how short tracks like Cinema Show and FoF were, considering Phils condition singing. These tracks are good examples of some of Genesis finest instrumentals bar a slightly shorter vocal section, ideal for Phil.

• What annoyed me the most was his constant use of "Phil Collins and Genesis". I'm reminded of attending Genesis concerts in the very early '80s when there were invariably people shouting out Phil Collins solo material, especially around 1981. Urghhhhh.

As far as his comments, yes, Phil is not doing great, yes the songs are significantly transposed to lower keys, yes, he needs to sit down because of disc-related issue and surgery. The past is gone, the future is not here and all we have is "now", warts and all. I also have serious misgivings about seeing this show (which I am seeing) but I've gotten to a place where I'm not expecting Genesis, circa 1977 or 1980 or even 2007. Just as when I look in the mirror in 2021, I don't see he 1976 version of myself lol.

People are free to attend or not at the end of the day but having these unrealistic expectations that can't possibly be met is .... fill in the blank.

• As Fabrizio said, it's just an opinion from a lover of Genesis. Having watched some of the videos posted on their gig, I was quite surprised how short tracks like Cinema Show and FoF were, considering Phils condition singing. These tracks are good examples of some of Genesis finest instrumentals bar a slightly shorter vocal section, ideal for Phil.

I could never bring myself to mock them, I love them and respect them too much but none of the things this guy said are incorrect or false, up to everyone to decide how to react to what is an objective state of the situation. There will be , in my view justified criticisms, just don't mind them.

People are free to attend or not at the end of the day but having these unrealistic expectations that can't possibly be met is .... fill in the blank.

See, I was on board and agreed up until this final comment, I don't believe not attending is having unrealistic expectations, if fact what could be more realistic than not attending because they are no longer able to deliver? Different fans simply have a different take on what's going on and it's quite Ok.

I'd be surprise to know the band are reading or even caring about the reviews, I really don't picture them browsing the internet with anxiety the next day. THEY KNOW, what their current level is.

What I really think it's important is the Gents are having a good time and so are the people going to the gigs. The rest doesn't really matter.

• Not much has been mentioned regarding the redition of "Afterglow" and I'm wondering what you others thought. ( I haven't watched any clips as I want to wait for the show). I ask because just before the pandemic I was in the process of putting a covers band together to do a charity concert of some of my all time favourite songs. I had difficulty finding a singer who could handle Afterglow because of the Key change part way through. This is when I realised that Phil was an even more awesome singer than I had previously thought. I'm a drummer by the way so not a musician. LOL!

Afterglow would be quite doable for a decent singer in the current key of E. Highest sung note is F# and much of it is considerably lower. The guitar part cannot be played with the same positions in this key, so that would need to be rejigged or the guitarist would have to tune down.

• Thanks for the write up. I'll be seeing them twice in Chicago.

During the 07 tour, there was a German guy who went to every European show and had front row. He was known by everybody. We hung out with him in Berne and Linz. Cool dude. I forgot his name, but did you see him there for these shows?

Ulrich Klemt, "Ulli" he is lovely we saw/spoke with him at Birmingham on Monday 20th September 2021.

TGA

• I've now watched a couple different videos of Duchess, and I have to say, I LOVE it! The opening is really great, and one of those pieces that I feel like I could just live in for a while (to quote Phil in the Mama Tour video ... "at least until the drugs wear off."). I'd love for that intro to continue even longer.

Then the heart of the song starts, and it just sounds great! The arrangement is really excellent, with some different keyboard and guitar bits. And while I know each audio recording is different (so it may be a function of the taper's mics), the two I've heard have both had a really booming low end that I liked.

I haven't watched / listened to every song they play on the tour yet, but a fair amount. This is the first that's really hit me in this way; really loved it!