24, 25 September | Genesis live in MANCHESTER | reports **SPOILERS**

• Full show, audio only, from the 9/24 show

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think it's well documented historically that Tony, Mike and especially Phil don't like rehearsing much.

Problem is, when you're in your seventies and charging that much for tickets, winging it just isn't acceptable. I really do love this band but the more footage I see, the more I think this tour is a Domino too far.

• Problem is, when you're in your seventies and charging that much for tickets, winging it just isn't acceptable. I really do love this band but the more footage I see, the more I think this tour is a Domino too far.

On the contrary, I think they play quite well and I'm even surprised by Mike's enthusiasm on stage. He seemed to have less enthusiasm in 2007. Tony seems to be less comfortable on the other hand but nothing too serious from what I could hear. The problem is Phil. With all due respect to him, his voice always seems to be on the edge. Since he has less power than before, his voice becomes really TOO nasal which is very unpleasant over time.

• Agreed that Phil's nasality is the main drawback to his current voice...it's like he has a kazoo in his throat. He's also missing and blowing lyrics more often than usual on some songs. Does Phil stand on any songs? I know he'd get up for "In the Air Tonight" in his solo shows, and that was routinely the best sung song of the NDY shows. I believe sitting down while singing constricts your diaphragm or something, which probably makes it all the more difficult for him.

That said, I have "Mama" from Manchester on now and I'm not hating it. The passion in his delivery is still as palpable as ever, and this is coming from someone who regards the original as one of the best vocal performances in all of music (and he arguably eclipsed it live in 1983-84). Overall, I'm enjoying the show and will probably go in December at MSG.

The big highlights of this tour for me so far are "Fading Lights," the acoustic "Follow You, Follow Me" (I'm in love with this version), and "Duchess" which is powerful and poignant as Phil has basically become the character he's singing about. "Carpet Crawlers" also sounds great.

• Lots of technical difficulties yesterday! Generator problems and flat tire on the tour bus. I guess that's what happens with such a large production. Glad they still played the whole set!

Well I’m really glad I saw the show in Manchester on Saturday night not Friday, since my last train home left from the opposite side of Manchester at 11.38pm!. There were fewer problems on Saturday than were reported on Friday.

A few thoughts on the Saturday show:

The Manchester Arena is back to its old self: very crowded, bar queues blocking the whole concourse, very few masks to be seen & no one asked to see Covid passes. It was great to be somewhere that felt normal rather than the dreaded “new” normal.

Tony played a few bum notes in several numbers.

Phil interacted well with the crowd.

During the band intros it was Nic who got the biggest cheer from the crowd.

The more stripped down performance they did in the middle of the set worked well for That’s All but not at all for The Lamb Lies Down & Follow You Follow Me.

The big screens behind the stage showed plenty of close-up footage of Phil, Mike, Tony & Nic, & some of the 2 backing singers, but virtually none of Daryl except during his erm... reinterpretation(?) of the Firth of Fifth guitar solo.

It was sad to see Phil hobbling off stage very slowly with his walking cane at the end. Someone even asked whether he had Parkinsons.

Overall it was a very good packed show, & I’m glad I finally got to see them live.

• A few thoughts on the Saturday show:

The Manchester Arena is back to its old self: very crowded, bar queues blocking the whole concourse, very few masks to be seen & no one asked to see Covid passes. It was great to be somewhere that felt normal rather than the dreaded “new” normal.

Not starting a Covid row but my thought were not the same as yours on this. I have quoted and replied to this on the political thread . Didn't really want to start a Covid one. Of I reply with my thoughts here I know it take the thread off track .

• Finally, I can check the forums again! I have been avoiding spoilers for the past 2 weeks.

The show was exactly what I expected, other than a somewhat safer set list than I had hoped for, but that's a small point for me.

In terms of the band, we all know about Phil and his capabilities at this point. I couldn't care less that he can't sing like he used to and can't drum at all.

Seeing those guys on stage again was just such a thrill for me. They've been hugely important a part of my life since 1980 and in the end, I didn't greatly care what they played.

In all honesty, a bit more old stuff would have been nice, but I'm not going to complain. For me, Duchess was the highlight, along with Mama, IKWIL, and the acoustic set.

It was a great atmosphere on the saturday, there was a lot of love in the room, and I thought that Phil looked like he was enjoying it.

Anyway. Hope you all enjoyed it. To paraphrase, we'll never see the likes of them again

• Spot on Well put .my thoughts exactly.

• On the Friday . For the.firsr time ever at a Genesis show a fight nearly broke out near me. Just behind. Earlier some people behind , don't know if it was same ones, were talking so loudly during the magic of Fading Lights it was distracting. We had some empty seats by us . I heard a woman shout "Will you shut the fuck up, no offense!" ,then climbed over to a spare seat to get away. It seemed to work.