What did you have for breakfast today?

• So far: one cup of good morning america. Beans roasted across the street last week, just short of espresso ground, shot made with my low-mid range De'Longhi and a splash of hot water. Black. It's damn fine.

• The frequently aforementioned oatmeal recipe.

What he said ^

I'm still loving this breakfast - a reminder: two spoonfuls of oatmeal into a bowl before you go to bed, add a handful of raisins, just enough cold water to cover it, stir, cover the bowl. When you're ready to eat, sprinkle a little ground cinnamon (enough to cover the tip of a teaspoon) and a generous teaspoon of coconut oil. Add milk of choice, a little more than the amount of water you added, stir, then into the microwave at full power for 1 minute. Stir well, return to the micro for another 45 secs, stir again, then a final 15 seconds or so. Allow it to sit for a minute and if it looks too 'solid' stir in enough cold milk to loosen to your satisfaction.

You can do the prep in the morning if you can't be bothered doing it before bed. It gives the oatmeal slightly more bite but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Either way it's GORGEOUS.

Plus of course 'the usual cup of tea' (one day another Dubstar fan will pick up on that).

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Sounds delicious.

• This sounds divine.

Q: do the raisins plump up in that space of time from being in water overnight? I soaked some in rum once (not for breakfast) and the recipe I found said to soak them for a few days or something! I know it's not the goal maybe, but just curious what state they are.

• This sounds divine.

Q: do the raisins plump up in that space of time from being in water overnight? I soaked some in rum once (not for breakfast) and the recipe I found said to soak them for a few days or something! I know it's not the goal maybe, but just curious what state they are.

They certainly soften during the soaking, maybe plump up a bit too. Then the cooking itself further softens them. They're pretty unctuous by the time I eat it. I originally made this with chopped prunes, which have pretty much disintegrated by the time I eat it, lacing their sweet goodness through the creamy oatmeal. I still occasionally use the prunes, sometimes mixing in with some raisins.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

I've seen similar rum-soaked raisins recipes, I'd imagine 24 hours is probably enough but a few more days wouldn't do any harm. Rum - oh yes indeed.

Abandon all reason

• The rare treat of a cooked breakfast for me today: into the griddle with 2 x streaky bacon crisped up, sliced chestnut mushrooms, 6 cherry tomatoes, handful of spinach leaves. In a small frying pan, a lamb kidney cut in half and dusted with spiced seasoned flour (they have to fry slowly in some foaming butter hence not in the griddle) and a fried egg. Fresh squeezed orange juice, topped up with fresh apple juice.

That should ensure a minimal (or no) lunch required ahead of tonight's strathdon blue cheese and walnut salad dinner.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

The rare treat of a cooked breakfast for me today: into the griddle with 2 x streaky bacon crisped up, sliced chestnut mushrooms, 6 cherry tomatoes, handful of spinach leaves. In a small frying pan, a lamb kidney cut in half and dusted with spiced seasoned flour (they have to fry slowly in some foaming butter hence not in the griddle) and a fried egg. Fresh squeezed orange juice, topped up with fresh apple juice.

That should ensure a minimal (or no) lunch required ahead of tonight's strathdon blue cheese and walnut salad dinner.

Wow! I say this with all due respect, because I’m amazed. Where are you? Who eats lamb kidneys with chestnut mushrooms for breakfast?! I had a piece of banana bread. You Brits don’t mess around with your meals. I’m

impressed.

• Wow! I say this with all due respect, because I’m amazed. Where are you? Who eats lamb kidneys with chestnut mushrooms for breakfast?! I had a piece of banana bread. You Brits don’t mess around with your meals. I’m

impressed.

I'm amused by your reaction that a lamb kidney and mushrooms in one breakfast is some sort of baffling bizarre combination!

As I said, it's rare for me to have a breakfast blow-out like that. Most mornings I'll have a bowl of oatmeal, or bran flakes, or museli, a croissant every now and then. Toast (usually with some marmalade on) makes an occasional guest appearance.

I can't speak for the eating habits of everyone else in Britain, though!

Abandon all reason