I have just Porridge on its own for breakfast - sounds boring but I like it

Breakfast's Ready

Walking across the kitchen floor, I turn the microwave oven on

Sitting beside it, I look and heave a sigh

As the sound of cooking food fades in the day time

I swear I saw your face change, it didn't seem quite right

And it's hello babe you can have some Porridge too

Hey my baby don't you know there's enough for two ^^

• I rarely have breakfast, but porridge is one of my go-to's. Not made with milk, water, sugar and Salt.

Good first verse. Over to PG for verse 2................

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• This, except bramble jam on sourdough toast.

Woah woah woah. Toasted sourdough? If memory serves you weren't a big fan back when there was a brief "what kind of bread toasts well" dialogue here.

At any rate, it sounds delicious. I had a nice strong black coffee (beans from the local roastery) and a banana. I also have a fresh plain croissant from this amazing french patisserie in town that I am contemplating smearing with a little blueberry jam we picked up on a farm in Maine.

• Woah woah woah. Toasted sourdough? If memory serves you weren't a big fan back when there was a brief "what kind of bread toasts well" dialogue here.

At any rate, it sounds delicious. I had a nice strong black coffee (beans from the local roastery) and a banana. I also have a fresh plain croissant from this amazing french patisserie in town that I am contemplating smearing with a little blueberry jam we picked up on a farm in Maine.

You are contemplating smearing a French patisserie in town with blueberry jam? Boy, they must really have annoyed you! :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Woah woah woah. Toasted sourdough? If memory serves you weren't a big fan back when there was a brief "what kind of bread toasts well" dialogue here.

Well remembered! I don't recall exactly what I said but it was probably along the lines of sourdough toast too often shattering like glass and feeling like it was going to lacerate my mouth. Since then I've learned that the things I tend not to like about sourdough - the above brittle toast, being full of big holes, being too chewy in its untoasted state - result from sourdough that's badly made and not properly 'knocked back' during kneading. When it's done properly it shouldn't have those properties I dislike. Sure enough I've had good-quality stuff that doesn't have those drawbacks. Our local bakery does very good sourdough, hence my now allowing its use for breakfast toast!

By contrast another bakery has opened nearby and its sourdough has all those problems so that's a one-off, we'll stick with the other bakery.

It bugs me that sourdough has become so prominent. Almost every restaurant and cafe menu now lists 'sourdough' instead of bread, and of course it's often got to have 'artisanal' stuck in front of it too. At some point the whole world will be sourdough.

Abandon all reason

• Well remembered! I don't recall exactly what I said but it was probably along the lines of sourdough toast too often shattering like glass and feeling like it was going to lacerate my mouth.

That's what it was! The description was striking enough that it struck in my mind. Interesting about the quality and process by which it's made. I've noticed the thing about big holes too and that can be irritating - a big glob of butter/jam can fall through and result in messiness.

At some point the whole world will be sourdough.

Haha. Now all I can picture is a huge ball of bread flying around the sun.

• Now all I can picture is a huge ball of bread flying around the sun.

Eventually creating sourdough toast, of course.

Today, one of my infrequent cooked breakfasts - smoked streaky bacon, lorne, black pudding, mushrooms, fried egg, tomato, onion, orange juice. Man it was good.

Abandon all reason

• I know this is a breakfast thread, but speaking of sourdough, yesterday for lunch I made a turkey melt on sourdough, with the most amazing homegrown beefsteak tomatoes, Sargento Swiss cheese and diced green chiles. I buttered both sides of each piece of bread, then grilled one side before flipping each piece and then piling on the most beautiful juicy sliced turkey breast plus the other ingredients, topping the sandwich with the other slice. I grilled this to perfection. It was a masterpiece created in the moment. I will definitely make it again.

• I know this is a breakfast thread, but speaking of sourdough, yesterday for lunch I made a turkey melt on sourdough, with the most amazing homegrown beefsteak tomatoes, Sargento Swiss cheese and diced green chiles. I buttered both sides of each piece of bread, then grilled one side before flipping each piece and then piling on the most beautiful juicy sliced turkey breast plus the other ingredients, topping the sandwich with the other slice. I grilled this to perfection. It was a masterpiece created in the moment. I will definitely make it again.

Don't forget the Food & Drink thread. But never mind, that's a delicious sounding concoction, regardless what thread it's in! Meat, cheese, chillies, tomato, grilling... what more could you need?

Did you wash it down with anything?

Abandon all reason