What did you have for breakfast today?

• My usual oatmeal concoction, but with the addition of a teaspoon of top-quality peanut butter stirred in.

Oh my word.... breakfast nirvana. Just one teaspoon - what a difference. But this won't be a frequent thing. Maybe once a month to keep it special.

Plus my usual mug of tea but annoyingly it didn't seem to brew properly, it was pale and weak despite my careful addition of barely a teaspoonful of milk. I like tea to be bordering on creosote (in colour, not taste).

Abandon all reason

• Big ol' bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on an everything bagel, with regularly applied dashes of Tabasco sauce. Washed down with a big, black Americano.

What's vacation for if not eating things you wouldn't normally eat in a blue moon, at sensible times of day when you would otherwise be working?

Sure, I felt like a beluga whale for a couple of hours but it was worth it.

• I felt like a beluga whale for a couple of hours

You still felt that hungry?!

I recently found a bottle of scotch bonnet sauce on sale in our local farm shop at reduced price so it had to be acquired. Man alive, it's that sweet spot just between pain and pleasure but just far enough on the pleasure side to work.

Abandon all reason

• You still felt that hungry?!

I recently found a bottle of scotch bonnet sauce on sale in our local farm shop at reduced price so it had to be acquired. Man alive, it's that sweet spot just between pain and pleasure but just far enough on the pleasure side to work.

Sounds divine. I'm a sucker for nice hot sauces, especially smaller batch fancy stuff. I've only found two or three that are too hot. One was called "million pepper sauce", acquired at a border crossing shop. Full of chopped up California reapers, I assume the name was an allusion to its point on the scoville scale.

Anyway, more modest this morning. A blood orange, some strawberries and grapes, a two bite orange cranberry scone and the customary black coffee (locally roasted beans as always, drip coffee this time around).

• A banana and cup of black coffee, as usual. Then I had a croissant from the best french patisserie I've been in outside Europe, so even though it was stale it was still delicious and a thousand per cent better than the big, soft balls of dough you get in the US that usually passes for a croissant.

On a coffee related note, at my daughter's school, they have a cute thing each year where there's a little shop that the elementary kids can buy gifts for their relatives. They are the gifts I treasure most each year. This year I got a small drink warmer. It's basically a cheap, small hot plate and it fills the office with the smell of burning plastic and gets *insanely* hot, so that the lower end of a disposable coffee cup ends up yellowed by the time I'm finished drinking it. I'm really careful not to walk away and leave it on, but there is a risk that the whole building will burn to the ground someday if I forget.

• I'm really careful not to walk away and leave it on, but there is a risk that the whole building will burn to the ground someday if I forget.

Ah, well. Still, that's SO nice.

Today, and this is why I rarely post here, the oatmeal etc (I have it most days). Slight variation, no raisins or prunes but a drizzle of maple syrup for that sweet touch.

Abandon all reason

• Fried mushrooms, fried eggs, slow-roasted tomatoes spread on a piece of wholewheat toast, glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice.

My slow-roasted tomatoes are the best. The best, I tell you.

Abandon all reason

• My slow-roasted tomatoes are the best. The best, I tell you.

Don't even attempt to tell me yours are better. They're not.

Today: a bowl of bran flakes with a few raisins and light sprinkling of oat museli. Keeping it light ahead of lunch and dinner out. Extravagance!

Abandon all reason

• Banana and black coffee. Then a nasty old nutri grain bar. I've had a week of trials and tribulations so I'm going to go and treat myself to a fruit cup, or yoghurt parfait I think. And another coffee.

• Mushrooms, black pudding, sweet potato, onion, poached eggs, slow-roasted tomatoes, orange juice (mix of normal and blood orange)

Nightmare breakfast for me. Don't like black pudding, sweet potato, slow-roasted tomatoes, orange juice:S

“Without music, life would be a mistake”