What did you have for breakfast today?

• Grapes & Coffee

That's one of the most unusual ones so far.

Also, it sounds like the title of something. A book perhaps. If you ever write your autobiography, that's what you should call it: Grapes & Coffee.

It could also be a good name for a cafe-bar.

Me this morning: two bowls of honey-nut cornflakes, mug of tea.

Abandon all reason

• Toast with marmalade and blackcurrant jam (separately, that is), mug of tea.

martinus made this reply in another thread and I've commandeered it to the Breakfast thread as I believe there are unanswered questions here.

You can't just say 'bacon'. That's borderline meaningless. Back or streaky? Smoked or unsmoked? Grilled, griddled, fried, oven-roasted? Where from?

For me it's smoked streaky from the local butcher. I lay the rashers out on a board and press the flat of a sturdy knife firmly down on to them and run it along their length to further flatten and spread them; this aids crisping-up. Kitchen paper is then patted on to both sides to maximise dryness. On to a dry pre-heated griddle pan (or standard frying pan) and cooked, with turning as necessary, until the rashers are crisp but not over-done. Place in folded kitchen paper on a warm plate then add to either your cooked breakfast or your breakfast sandwich.

I realise that mentioning a bacon sandwich in itself opens up a whole other arena of debate....

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Umh... I always assumed that there is such a thing as generic British breakfast bacon... And what on earth is "griddled" (one search engine request later - I see).

Anyway, breakfast this morning for me was a cappuccino with extra milk foam. I get up way too early for my stomach to accept solid food, so this is a kind of compromise.

• Umh... I always assumed that there is such a thing as generic British breakfast bacon... And what on earth is "griddled" (one search engine request later - I see).

Sorry, I was intending to be quite light-hearted but re-reading my post I see it does come across as quite hectoring and serious! Even so - no siree bob, there is no such thing as "generic British breakfast bacon". I suppose the closest you'd get is that if you went to a cafe or "greasy spoon" you would probably get back bacon rather than streaky. Here in the Scottish Highlands, and I'm sure elsewhere too, you also get middle bacon. There's also specific breeds such as Gloucester Old Spot, the bacon of which is extremely distinctive in look and flavour.

All that said, I'm sure many will be perfectly happy with the notion of generic breakfast bacon and will shake their heads at my fussy pernickety bacon ramblings.

I also use it as an ingredient in cooking. e.g. some main dishes can be very nicely started off with gently frying finely chopped smoked streaky bacon or pancetta, removing the crisped-up meat and frying your chicken or fish in the subtly smoky bacon fat.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Through necessity ie work demands it, or your body just naturally catapaults you out of bed at that time? How early is early?

Early means 5.30am. No, work does not demand it, neither does my body catapult me out of bed (though we have a 2'8" catapult of the offspring persuasion capable of emitting noises in the 100dB+ range in our house that makes us get up pretty dang fast ... and that may be well before 5.30!)

I work flexible hours, so the earlier I get to work in the morning the earlier I can clock off in the afternoon and spend time with my dear "catapult".

FWIW, I didn't take your bacon post as hectoring and what have you. Others feel strongly about wine or bread or cheese, you know what you like in your pan and I'm absolutely fine with that! (plus... The Highlands... I'd love to go there again some time, bacon or no bacon ;) )

• Early means 5.30am. No, work does not demand it, neither does my body catapult me out of bed (though we have a 2'8" catapult of the offspring persuasion capable of emitting noises in the 100dB+ range in our house that makes us get up pretty dang fast ... and that may be well before 5.30!)

I work flexible hours, so the earlier I get to work in the morning the earlier I can clock off in the afternoon and spend time with my dear "catapult".

FWIW, I didn't take your bacon post as hectoring and what have you. Others feel strongly about wine or bread or cheese, you know what you like in your pan and I'm absolutely fine with that! (plus... The Highlands... I'd love to go there again some time, bacon or no bacon ;) )

^^

I'm guessing your "catapult of the offspring persuasion" is pretty young then!

When I'm in London for work a few times per month I get up at about 5.15-5.30 to ensure I get a train I can actually sit down in, and also similar to your workplace although there isn't official flexi-time as such, it's understood that the earlier you start, the earlier you leave so I'm able to knock off about 4 to 4.30 (it helps that as a consultant I'm not a member of staff so while obligated to my client, I can also come and go pretty much as I please). But when I'm up at 5.15, by the time I've showered and dressed, I'm definitely up for some breakfast solids.

A few replies here have mentioned yogurt-based breakfasts but it's the one thing that I've found over the years I simply cannot stomach in the morning, yet by lunch time and onwards, I'm fine with it.

Abandon all reason