24, 25, 26 March 2022 | Genesis live in LONDON | reports

• Yes/talking nonsense

Ahhh... I beg to differ. I don't think Steve and probably most of the posters here are under any illusions about how likely a re-union is, they're just practising the noble art of hanging on to hope in what seems like a hopeless situation. Doesn't make much difference, usually. But every now and then miracles do happen, and I'd say the last 47 Genesis shows constituted one such miracle, so even though I know you're absolutely right (in a sense) I prefer to see such talk as high spirited optimism.

• Steve has consistently stated that he'd be up for a reunion for the last 20 years or so. Possibly longer, he just wasn't on the internet much in the 90s. What did he say recently?

As for a new studio album, I strongly get the impression that they have no desire in making one. The Farm is no longer a working studio, no mixing desk any more...the control room is half empty from recent photos. I'm sure they could put together an album, perhaps using some of the newly worked songs alongside a few new ones. But in the end, Genesis is what Mike, Tony and Phil want it to be. And they want to lay it to rest.

I'd take the attitude that while there's life, there's hope. It is not impossible that Genesis could be reactivated but the chances are small and I'm at peace with this being the end. And what a way to bow out....one of the best stage shows they've ever had, the last song performed being The Carpet Crawlers, bowing out with the audience and fans worldwide wanting that little bit more but while still at the top. Biggest grossing rock tour of the first quarter of 2022.

What I do hope for, despite apparently a denial from their management, is a full live album.

• Here's a completely random thought. Like many, I'm still "cognitively" chewing on the Lamb re-arrangement that was performed on the last tour..... However, in flavor(u)r, it kept reminding me of something.... And it hit me this morning. The Light Dies Down on Broadway. I'm not saying that it sounds like that song but it has that kind of vibe to it, albeit with a modern "Don Henly-sh" sound to the keys. Have I lost my mind? That happened a long time ago.... Cheers.

• I just cannot see any reunion, it seems very unlikely that Tony or Mike will want to guest on Steve's shows, and accepting that Phil is done with Genesis, a new singer would have to be found and the last time this happened it wasn't a happy experience. I think Steve would have been up for a reunion anytime over the past couple of decades but this has always been unlikely as evidenced by the BBC doc. Also, Steve left abruptly in the 70s and I doubt Tony has forgiven him! It's just wishful thinking and teasing from Steve.

• I just cannot see any reunion, it seems very unlikely that Tony or Mike will want to guest on Steve's shows, and accepting that Phil is done with Genesis, a new singer would have to be found and the last time this happened it wasn't a happy experience. I think Steve would have been up for a reunion anytime over the past couple of decades but this has always been unlikely as evidenced by the BBC doc. Also, Steve left abruptly in the 70s and I doubt Tony has forgiven him! It's just wishful thinking and teasing from Steve.

I get the impression that Mike may not have fully forgiven him. Tony possibly has. He's even given a few interviews lately where he states that he misses writing with Steve. But with Tony, who knows? His sense of humour is a bit dark sometimes ("we mixed him out of the album" still does the rounds) and he's difficult to read emotionally....product of the English traditional public school system. Mike has learned to display his emotions more.

My knowledge of all things Tony Banks isn't infallible, but I don't recall him ever guesting with another live act or really appearing on anyone else's work. He's not especially fond of performing and still sees himself primarily as a songwriter, rather than performer. While he undoubtedly could guest with any Genesis tribute band, Steve's band, The Mechanics or pretty much anyone he asked....it just doesn't seem to be something that interests him.

As I've mused before, Tony Banks can do anything because he's Tony Banks....but what he wants to do may be to put on his slippers and play Return of The Giant Hogweed on his grand piano at home. Now personally I'd pay to hear that. But Tony himself would likely prefer behind closed doors.

Hi Keith. I can assure you, Tony does not dislike Steve and has showed up at some of his past gigs (he's even stated liking Steve's solo work quite a bit). Steve has also attended past birthday parties for Tony so it's all water under the bridge at this point. The "rags" like discord and though their relationship may have been a bit rough in the late '70s, that's 45 years ago.... As far as a "reunion", it ain't going to happen to use common vernacular.

• I think Steve was saying he wouldn't state publicly anything was 'final'. We never know what lies in the future, so keep the powder dry. Theoretically Genesis could decide to go for another last hurrah in a few years with PG and SH on board. In theory I might win the lottery.

In practice though, Genesis are done.

At least we have a new Gabriel album to look forward to now ... later this year. Or next year. Or in some future year.

• I think at this point Tony and Mike would feel like a Genesis reunion sans Phil would be a slap in the face to PC. At the risk of sounding melodramatic given Phil’s fragile state I think they’d feel a genuine concern over how Phil would deal with a reunion without him. At any rate, there is no reason to believe Peter feels any warmer about a reunion now. As has been said, it ain’t happening.

• The only glimmer of light regarding Peter is an interview he gave a few years ago when Phil was re-releasing his solo albums, before his Not Dead Yet tour. Peter mentioned that other bands of the era had lost members (likely thinking of Chris Squire and Rick Wright), while the members of Genesis were all still there. He mentioned something about considering doing it "while it was still possible".

One doesn't need to know much about Peter to know that isn't a commitment to perform with Genesis again. If anything, he still seems very reluctant to revisit the songs he sang with Genesis.

• Here's a completely random thought. Like many, I'm still "cognitively" chewing on the Lamb re-arrangement that was performed on the last tour..... However, in flavor(u)r, it kept reminding me of something.... And it hit me this morning. The Light Dies Down on Broadway. I'm not saying that it sounds like that song but it has that kind of vibe to it, albeit with a modern "Don Henly-sh" sound to the keys. Have I lost my mind? That happened a long time ago.... Cheers.

Don Henley-ish sound to the keys? You mean like Building The Perfect Beast where the synthesisers take over the entire album and ruin it (despite what all critics say)? I will have to listen to the original song.

• Finally found the bit on You Tube albeit audio only but that was fine . If I had been there my heart would have leapt and assumed that Peter was about to a number.

heres the video 1:40

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited 2 times, last by Random: better link ().

• Don Henley-ish sound to the keys?

I'd never have thought of that myself but seeing it expressed that way I totally get it.

The Lamb was especially nice on the penultimate show, I found it a pleasingly tranquil interlude.

I can't believe that was a week ago 😟

Abandon all reason

• I really liked the arrangement of The Lamb. It really made me realise how clever and creative some of those chord progressions are in that song.

I find it interesting that The Lamb has been the one song the band has been most comfortable with making radical changes to in terms of the arrangement (see the 1982 Encore Tour and the just-ended tour).

• Happy 1-week-versary everyone!!

Earlier, I said that the penultimate show felt more of an emotional occasion. That held true for me at the time but the impact of the final gig has matured in my mind and I've felt it more over this last week. I think that in the years to come it'll feel huge.

Abandon all reason