24, 25, 26 March 2022 | Genesis live in LONDON | reports

• I saw the March 24 show, only my second time seeing Genesis but that's probably due to my age (38).

I will freely admit that I was disappointed with the setlist upon learning it. I'm not trying to be negative for the sake of it, just being honest. I thought that for a final tour it was very safe and too similar to 2007.

I have my own ideas for what a setlist could have looked like, but if they added three songs we know they rehearsed - The Musical Box (Closing Section), Abacab, and Supper's Ready (either Lover's Leap for the acoustic section or Apocalypse In 9/8 as part of the medley -- that alone would have been much better. Perhaps replace Home by the Sea with Abacab, as the runtime would have been too much otherwise.

HOWEVER...

I still had a marvellous time. The band sounded great, the drums was booming and Phil's voice was very impressive and not all weak. He also nailed a lot of the lyrics with minimal flubs, and was in great humour as always.

I cried during Afterglow, first time I've ever got that emotional seeing a concert. I lost my nan in November and that combined with the fact I was seeing the guys for the last time set me off. The song sounded beautiful; it was a very powerful moment for me and worth the price of the ticket alone. I will never forget that performance.

Duchess, Domino, Home by the Sea, Land of Confusion, Fading Lights/Cinema Show, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, and Carpet Crawlers were fantastic, although the whole show was brilliant. Oh, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, while being somewhat of a polarising arrangement , was great, IMO!

Thank you for the memories, Genesis.

• I have my own ideas for what a setlist could have looked like, but if they added three songs we know they rehearsed - The Musical Box (Closing Section), Abacab, and Supper's Ready (either Lover's Leap for the acoustic section or Apocalypse In 9/8 as part of the medley -- that alone would have been much better.

Unfortunately it's all hypothetical now....but I like the idea of Firth of Fifth...Apocalypse as a piece....that would have blown the roof off!!

IKWIL would then have worked well as one of the encores.

• I keep having ideas... Even if it is pointless.

- They could have done the first 2 verses and choruses of Ripples during the acoustic medley;

- They could have played A trick of the Tail, in a similar way to That's All. They never played it ? That's the point ! That would have been a great surprise...

- Same for Lovers's Leap.

-Instead of going straight into Cinema Show, they could have played Unquiet Slumbers (same key of E Major !), to make a smoother transition. They never played it ? Again, that's the point !

Anyway...

- They could have played A trick of the Tail, in a similar way to That's All. They never played it ? That's the point ! That would have been a great surprise...

I couldn't agree more. I've been thinking during the tour that A Trick of the Tail would be a superb choice for three reasons:

1) It's a simple song that would fit well into the acoustic set, Phil wouldn't struggle too much with it at all nor would the musicians.

2) It's short, so it wouldn't extend the run time too much.

3) It hasn't been done before, making it a nice treat (and ensures Trick is represented).

Obviously this is all moot now; the tour's over, but still it's nice to dream! :D

• There's lots they could have done....but in the end they did what they wanted. Two years ago when they announced the tour, they said that Nic drummed like a young Phil and that gave them the opportunity to play some material that was *very* old and hadn't been done in a *long* time....but in the end they decided they didn't like how it sounded. Which is also probably why they haven't played certain songs since 1980 or 1982. Perhaps sad that they no longer love these songs that they wrote and which mean so much to us...but nothing much we can do to change that.

Yes, the set was "safe". But it was also the material Genesis collectively wanted to play/sing.

• Some time has passed ... I saw the first and third show in London and enjoyed them both. The first one was a bit difficult for me, for some reason I was really emotional. The final show then was more like a bittersweet farewell for me. I smiled more than I was sad. But of course it really was sad to hear Phil say that this was their final show. Same with the "Peter Gabriel is in the audience" part. There was this "get on the f''''' stage" moment.

In the end I was happy they didn't do it. They ended this tour as they have started it, just stronger. And it was a goodbye for Tony, Phil and Mike - Peter and Steve have nothing to do with that. A reunion show could have happened 15 - 17 years ago and they didn't do it, so that chance is lost forever.

Thanks for the music, that will stay! And unforgettable moments during their final tour, which was so much stronger than I expected.

Edited once, last by Harold ().

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Sum the Parts. ;)

• In my opinion, it is still possible that Phil will go on a solo tour in a year or two. In theory, Nicholas said it was the end of Phil's shows forever - but yesterday Phil was talking "only" about Genesis. We will see again, and I hope there will be this "last, farewell" solo tour in some time. Now let Phil rest, as he deserves it - and let him try to take care of his health.

In your opinion?

Having seen seven (7) Last Domino shows, including that on the 26th March. I would expect there to be no more live shows from Phil Collins. His 2017 solo shows were a sign he wasn't quite the performer he was, given his age and the amount of health issues it was not expected either. We were surprised he committed to a 2018 and 2019 leg of his solo tours.

But reality has to be reached, Phil Collins will not be performing live again.

TGA

• Official Post

Nic Collins said in an interview that Phil has now retired (there was a scent of "never say never", but I think that's it).

• I would have thought that it is quite clear that the men who once called themselves Genesis fully intend March 2022 to be the full stop.

Never say never, and all that, but the intention of everyone involved is that The Last Domino is their farewell. And they went out with a bang.

• I think this is definitely the end Genesis - we were only talking about Phil's solo concerts. :) I think that in some time there will be some last Phil's final 2-3 month long farewell tour - but it will be the definite end. And if this farewell tour will not be - nothing happened. :) Phil should then ask the engineers to do a good "research" about his best Genesis gigs and solo career archives for a future release. :) Especially DVDs and bootlegs from rehearsals. :) We will be waiting for it with longing.

• it would have been nice to have had one interview with them after the tour concluded to get their last thoughts on everything, especially Phil.

End of an era

I agree. Filming the PBS special during rehearsals when they did meant that Phil seemed pretty melancholy about the whole thing because he knew he wasn't anywhere near 100%. But he ended SO much stronger than he started and it would have been nice to hear them all reflect on the whole tour after ending on a high note.

• The "problem" is that Land Of Confusion just sounds better on these rehearsals in this movie. I can argue about it with fans hahaha. I never liked this song at concerts - but the 2020 version is great. Tony's darker sound, Nick's strong drums and finally Phil's voice - sad, nostalgic, touching ..... This version is better. Throwing It All Away or Domino sounds worse, but Land Of Confusion sounds better than in the past and at the concerts later, in my opinion, there was no better version.

• I suspect that if it wasn't for this version - Land Of Confusion and Mama - I would never want to release bootlegs from the rehearsals. :) And from that point on, I'm so curious to know what Genesis and Phil have played in rehearsals in the past that it's a massacre. :) Land Of Confusion from 2020 is simply nostalgic, great, touching and stimulating to act on various issues.

• Reading what Choccy and Winstonwolf have said has made me wonder how Phil is doing these days. I don’t expect to hear anything from Genesis again, or Phil solo for that matter, I would also imagine he would be glad never to do another interview, but is there anyone connected with this forum who is due to interview one of the guys or management in the near future who could ask them, firstly how did they enjoy the shows and secondly how is Phil now? I know we’d probably get fairly bland answers but it would be nice to try.

• I totally agree. :) !!!! After all, Phil has his own official Facebook account, he even made a video for fans in 2018. After all, it's not really a big deal to either ask Phil's friends about his health - or to have a video chat with Phil - even with the ability to ask questions. :) Phil Sam I think he would be pleased to see how many fans would like to talk to him. But perhaps his surroundings must convince him to do so.