In the Air Tonight in new Rolling Stone top 500 Songs

• Rolling Stone updated their top 500 songs list, which they made in 2004, to take a new broader look at pop and include more recent influential pieces. I scrolled through pretty quickly and only found one track by any Genesis-related artists:

Article here: In the Air Tonight is at 219

I was kind of hoping to see something like Land of Confusion or No Son of Mine make the cut, or M&tMs Silent Running, Miracle, or Living Years, or even Sledgehammer or In Your Eyes from Gabriel, but I didn't see them (perhaps I scrolled by too quickly)

• I was kind of hoping to see something like Land of Confusion or No Son of Mine make the cut, or M&tMs Silent Running, Miracle, or Living Years, or even Sledgehammer or In Your Eyes from Gabriel, but I didn't see them (perhaps I scrolled by too quickly)

I'd be amazed if any of those made a general top 500 list of pretty much any publication.

Abandon all reason

• There are two OutKast songs in the top 50, and no Pink Floyd ones? I like OutKast, but what the hell kind of list is this? Smells Like Teen Spirit is in the top 10 or something, but the Pixies song it's derived from (Gouge Away) isn't in the top 50. Or maybe not even the top 500, I'm not bothered looking through the whole thing.

And how will we ever know what the 501st best song of all time is 🥺??

• Solsbury Hill is at #472

Besides, these lists are pretty useless, aren't they?

Doubly so when Rolling Stone are involved. First consideration for them is "does it give us street cred?" ;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• There are two OutKast songs in the top 50, and no Pink Floyd ones? I like OutKast, but what the hell kind of list is this? Smells Like Teen Spirit is in the top 10 or something, but the Pixies song it's derived from (Gouge Away) isn't in the top 50. Or maybe not even the top 500, I'm not bothered looking through the whole thing.

And how will we ever know what the 501st best song of all time is 🥺??

As was said earlier, these lists are meaningless.

Doubly so when Rolling Stone are involved. First consideration for them is "does it give us street cred?" ;)

Yes! I was counting down in my head to your RS "cool/street cred" comment. You were slack off the mark there. Come on!

I don't think including Floyd is especially street. As with all mags who do these ridiculous pointless lists, the sole motivation is "it's been a while since we did one of those Top 10 Million type of lists, s'pose we'd better do one, dunno, songs or something."

It would be not much less stupid, but slightly more interesting and challenging, if they went the other way and did a Top 3 or even Top 1.

Abandon all reason

• Rolling Stone does this stuff & then wonders why people laugh at it. I was going to express some astonishment at how low some songs were ranked (never mind Solsbury Hill). When I got to Help! at 447 I realised it was pointless. A Day In The Life only at 24, Stairway To Heaven only at 61. Just one Dire Straits song would have been nice, but there you are.

• Official Post

In case you have some time …

This will make you get rid of the need to hear that drum fill again

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• In case you have some time …

This will make you get rid of the need to hear that drum fill again

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Excellent post. I took my parents to get a pre-travel covid test because, you know, FUCKING COVID, and in the waiting room In The Air Tonight was playing and the young guy opposite me did a little air drum just like I did and it made me enjoy life a little more for a few seconds.

Fyi the folks tested negative and will get to travel home. But still... Fuck covid.

• Excellent post. I took my parents to get a pre-travel covid test because, you know, FUCKING COVID, and in the waiting room In The Air Tonight was playing and the young guy opposite me did a little air drum just like I did and it made me enjoy life a little more for a few seconds.

Fyi the folks tested negative and will get to travel home. But still... Fuck covid.

I really think you have hit the nail on the head , this awful disease should officially be renamed Fucking Covid. BTW I have to point out the irony of having In The Air Tonight being played at a Fucking Covid testing site. Did they follow it with The Air That I Breathe? Glad your folks are OK.