PHIL COLLINS: Genesis won’t exist beyond 2021

• Official Post
  • I've assumed the whole time the ? wasn't needed, long term. The only way there'll be 2022 shows in any other territories is if, after a rest period, PC feels he can venture back out and is possibly buoyed up by these current shows.

(Or if Gabriel steps in).

Abandon all reason

• Seems to me like he's saying he'll be done. By extension of course that means Genesis, unless Tony and Mike decide to do something extremely unlikely. I needn't point out here that the band has two other front men they *could* call upon if they wanted.

• Also in the article:

"The Last Domino? tour will feature "a majority" of material from the Perer Gabriel era".

Which we know is total bs.

The tour will likely continue with more shows into 2022, pending how Phil holds up, ane how the early shows are received. But once the tour is finished, so is Genesis.

• Sad, but that was predictable...

The problem is that it's not because he doesn't want to, but because he can't anymore. Maybe he thinks he does only half of his duties, since he's not drumming for the band at all. Maybe touring will be definitively over after the tour.

But he does a great job singing, despite his condition. He's still in tune and quite convincing, and still has his musical sense. For me, it works, even if his voice is not as strong as before obviously..

I still have hope, because Phil recognised he was "terrible at retiring". So, if the audience response is great, outstanding... then maybe... a new album, with songs suitable to his voice, hand percussion for him, Nic on drums...

My dream would a final studio album with everyone involved, with Peter, Steve, Ray and Anthony. Yeah, I know I'm dreaming, since there would be too many people in the studio to agree on anything...

• Agreed.

I’m hoping that if he’s healthy and doing well that more dates could possibly be added for a second leg of the tour (as he did with he recent solo shows). Plus would they break even from a touring standpoint if they only did the shows that are on the books now?

• Agreed.

I’m hoping that if he’s healthy and doing well that more dates could possibly be added for a second leg of the tour (as he did with he recent solo shows). Plus would they break even from a touring standpoint if they only did the shows that are on the books now

If you've seen the BBC interview there is no way you could possibly think he'd be ok to do more shows in 2022. I'm going to be surprised if he makes it to London.

• I'm not convinced yet. The article is very light on full sentences and it's mostly a couple random words joined together by a lot of editorializing.

And we all know very well by now how Phil talks during interviews. Tony and Mike are quite careful with what they say during interviews, whereas Phil seems to be literally thinking aloud as if it's a therapy session. That's simply his way of talking! Remember all those times from 2008 to 2019 when there were false rumours of a reunion, only because an ignorant journalist misinterpreted Phil! Well Phil may have his doubts now, after not having performed for two years, but that may change once he has experienced the love and appreciation from the audience at the upcoming UK tour.

• Although it sounds a bit like that, I wouldn't bet this is the final word. The tour will surely be the final one but I assume they will enjoy the shows and add some more next year.

• Seems to me like he's saying he'll be done. By extension of course that means Genesis, unless Tony and Mike decide to do something extremely unlikely. I needn't point out here that the band has two other front men they *could* call upon if they wanted.

And if Tony and Mike REALLY don’t want to bring Peter or Ray back they could always get Martin Levac. The fella sounds exactly like Phil. Not saying that I want them to do that, just pointing out that they COULD. How would y’all feel if they got Levac? I’d personally prefer a Gabriel and Hackett reunion with Chester on drumming duty.. regardless I don’t think either’s gonna happen

• "Majority of material from Peter Gabriel era." Extremely doubtful that is the case. Music from SEBTP, TLLDOB, and Wind and Wuthering. I guess that means no Los Endos, no Squonk, and no Ripples. I'm guessing DWTMK, IKWIL, Firth of Fifth, Cinema Show, The Lamb, Carpet Crawlers, In that Quiet Earth and Afterglow. In other words, no big suprises (assuming the article is correct). No Supper's Ready, no Watcher of the Skies (they had me hoping for Watcher after the band sent out the email a couple of days ago with the article about the gear used on that song).

• And if Tony and Mike REALLY don’t want to bring Peter or Ray back they could always get Martin Levac. The fella sounds exactly like Phil. Not saying that I want them to do that, just pointing out that they COULD. How would y’all feel if they got Levac? I’d personally prefer a Gabriel and Hackett reunion with Chester on drumming duty.. regardless I don’t think either’s gonna happen

And if Peter and Ray REALLY don't want to come back to Genesis.

• And if Tony and Mike REALLY don’t want to bring Peter or Ray back they could always get Martin Levac. The fella sounds exactly like Phil. Not saying that I want them to do that, just pointing out that they COULD. How would y’all feel if they got Levac? I’d personally prefer a Gabriel and Hackett reunion with Chester on drumming duty.. regardless I don’t think either’s gonna happen

I don't know ML but wouldn't be averse to a line-up with a substitute singer as long as it wasn't Sylvan.

Abandon all reason

• It seems very strange that no USA/Canadian West coast dates are on the tour, I would say there is a 50-50 chance the band will resume those in early 2022. Just like they added the extra dates to several cities after the initial dates sold out.

• Regarding Peter or Ray returning as singer both these options are extremely unlikely. Tony and Mike never even talked to Ray back in 1999 about his postponement as a singer, so they are obviously not going to be begging him to come back in 2022. When it comes to Peter, well, I think all has been said long ago about his unwillingness to commit to a Genesis reunion - for various reasons.