PHIL COLLINS: Genesis won’t exist beyond 2021

• Phil was the reason The Turn It On Again tour did not continue into 2008, believe me the stage was in storage for that tour.

Phil was the driving force behind The Last Domino tour, clearly he has changed his mind.

But lets enjoy what we have before us, rather than pontificating about what we have no control over.

TGA

• 🤯

You didn't just diss the individual responsible for this?! The man's clearly a genius (and probably the best vocalist in history, although I confess I've never heard a syllable he's uttered, sung or spoken).

Ah yes, I keep forgetting about that. I feel chastened and contrite.

As staggering as that image is in various ways, I always hone in on the... whatever it is... on his head.

Abandon all reason

• Thanks for posting that. It's one of the better mainstream media pieces I've seen.

Always amuses me though that they're cited as having done "20-minute epics" (ie, one).

Interesting when artists mix up their own timeline; Rutherford says Duke was helped by Face Value's success.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• Thanks for posting that. It's one of the better mainstream media pieces I've seen.

Always amuses me though that they're cited as having done "20-minute epics" (ie, one).

Interesting when artists mix up their own timeline; Rutherford says Duke was helped by Face Value's success.

I'm assuming that he means in retrospect as Face Value was released a good 9-10 months (I think?) after Duke. Duke was extremely popular in the US at its release with Misunderstanding permeating the airwaves. I remember that cheesy video filmed on a convertible ride in LA.

• I still have hope, because Phil recognised he was "terrible at retiring". So, if the audience response is great, outstanding... then maybe... a new album, with songs suitable to his voice, hand percussion for him, Nic on drums...

My dream would a final studio album with everyone involved, with Peter, Steve, Ray and Anthony. Yeah, I know I'm dreaming, since there would be too many people in the studio to agree on anything...

They could all agree to agree with Tony 😁

• I'm surprised they're doing as many dates as they are tbh.

In the 2007 documentary Phil says "you can do more than 20 shows if you want but you'll be doing them without a singer"...

But in the recent documentary, Tony or Mike says something like "no doubt our manager is working on other dates".

From accounts posted here, Phil's voice appears to be improving with the tour. And I dare say that has bolstered his confidence.

But I can't see them doing much more if any. I really don't think Phil is in a good way in himself. I think he's doing this tour primarily for his son.

Quite what Phil will do with himself after this is anyones guess. I don't think it's going to be healthy for him.

A shame they didn't use lockdown to write just one new song... a swan-song. Floyd did Louder Than Words and whilst it didn't change the world, it didn't hurt either.

Enjoy it while it lasts, the show was great and I'm still debating going to London to see them again!

• I think Phil would go down hill without music. So i hope for his sake and the rest of us they carry on

Very wishful thinking

The ex - band member keeping Genesis alive is Steve Hackett. To be honest, his band is much better on the tracks than Genesis with Phil, Mike and Tony. I hate to say it, but IMHO is true.

• It’s a tough question—-when to call it quits. I saw Yes in 2019 and poor Alan White could barely walk….couldn’t hardly play the drums anymore. It was heartbreaking. Part of me was thrilled to see him in any capacity. Part of me wished I had just remembered him when he was on fire with the famous growl on his face. I think the same about Phil. I adore him, but hate to see him in such shape. I worry about him.

• The ex - band member keeping Genesis alive is Steve Hackett. To be honest, his band is much better on the tracks than Genesis with Phil, Mike and Tony. I hate to say it, but IMHO is true.

Another way to look at it is he's riding the coattails of the classic era of Genesis music. At this point it's fair to ask how many people would show up for Hackett shows if he was just doing his solo material in concert. I admit I'm a bit grumpy on the subject after Nad made that a**hole comment a couple of weeks back about which show people should choose to attend (Genesis or Hackett).

• Another way to look at it is he's riding the coattails of the classic era of Genesis music. At this point it's fair to ask how many people would show up for Hackett shows if he was just doing his solo material in concert. I admit I'm a bit grumpy on the subject after Nad made that a**hole comment a couple of weeks back about which show people should choose to attend (Genesis or Hackett).

I prefer Hackett, saw Steve in Chepstow and what a nice bloke!........

• Another way to look at it is he's riding the coattails of the classic era of Genesis music. At this point it's fair to ask how many people would show up for Hackett shows if he was just doing his solo material in concert. I admit I'm a bit grumpy on the subject after Nad made that a**hole comment a couple of weeks back about which show people should choose to attend (Genesis or Hackett).

Not sure what you mean:?:

But Steve Hackett show gives me goosebumps when they play the Genesis tracks. A lot better then Genesis

;)

Barely anyone is the answer. Just like no-one if going to see ray Wilson who is someone else really miking the genesis back catalogue

• ... At this point it's fair to ask how many people would show up for Hackett shows if he was just doing his solo material in concert....

Invariably, he would have to return to playing smaller clubs and theatres again - which is fine with me, but probably less satisfying for Steve and those who take care of his business affairs.

It would be nice if Steve could try to have his cake and eat it too - continuing to play these Genesis Revisited shows if he has to, but maybe book the odd small theatre where he could satisfy an itch to play just his solo stuff, perhaps performing some deep cuts from various albums over the years.

• The ex - band member keeping Genesis alive is Steve Hackett. To be honest, his band is much better on the tracks than Genesis with Phil, Mike and Tony

Of course absolutely fair enough that that's your opinion. Having seen SH's Genesis shows 2 or 3 times I totally disagree. Some of his band's versions have made me cringe.

Abandon all reason