PHIL COLLINS: Genesis won’t exist beyond 2021

• It wasn't an interview. I believe it's a Tweet being referred to. Possibly this one: https://twitter.com/SylvanOffi…tatus/1439943879302713345.

I personally think more was read into it than he intended but as you can see he then clarified the comment the day after.

plus he followed up with this…

Can I just make one thing clear please? This post was never intended to be of a competetive nature. I love all era Genesis, (but maybe the earlier stuff speaks to me more). People so easily take offense and judge you in just a split second. Sorry if I stepped on anyone’s toes.

• That may be the case, technically. But there are quite a few Genesis tribute bands, and one of them is led by former member Steve Hackett. I saw a Genesis Revisited show by Hackett when he was in Stockholm a few years ago and it was a great experience, and I think I've managed to buy all live CDs he as issued during recent years. However, I definitely prefer the contemporary Genesis playing songs from their own past. In plain text Genesis in 2021 has three musicians who have been with the group for more than 50 years plus Daryl (40+ years). This means that when Genesis perform their songs there is the personal and emotional bond to these songs, that can't be achieved by putting together a tribute band. There's certainly nothing wrong when a solo artist performs songs from his former band, but it will always be a solo concert with things being a lot different than the mother band.

Technically, accurately, Steve's band is a spin-off, not a tribute.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Technically, accurately, Steve's band is a spin-off, not a tribute.

True, though when he does these tours that are 100% (or nearly 100% depending on the tour) Genesis songs it does have the feel of a tribute band. Having said that, I’ve seen Steve several times dating back to the early 2000s and I’ve enjoyed his shows. As for a real cover band I’m seeing the Genesis Show tribute band tonight. They’re doing a combo Three Sides Live/Reunion 1982 Show. Really looking forward to it.

Genesis Show tribute band

Their keyboard player, Matt Thomas, has a Youtube Channel, where he plays all the Tony Banks parts and shows the gear he uses. Amazing stuff for musicians and gear enthusiasts !

• Their keyboard player, Matt Thomas, has a Youtube Channel, where he plays all the Tony Banks parts and shows the gear he uses. Amazing stuff for musicians and gear enthusiasts !

This will be the 4th or 5th time I’ve seen the Genesis Show. We drove 3 hours to see their concert tonight. Those guys are fantastic. My lady friend and I are really psyched for tonight’s show.

• If he wants to live off 6 years of work from a band he left 44 years ago that's his prerogative.

Go into the street with a clipboard with £10 on it and ask them to name a hackket solo song.

You will keep your £10.

And yet those same people will likely be able to name a song by Kanye West, Rihanna, or any one of a 1000 other talentless autotuned computer-accompanied muppets. Just goes to show, you can fool some of the people all of the time.

1 K, 2 T's! Jeez, you can't even spell your own userid. ^^

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• And yet those same people will likely be able to name a song by Kanye West, Rihanna, or any one of a 1000 other talentless autotuned computer-accompanied muppets. Just goes to show, you can fool some of the people all of the time.

I don't share this attitude toward other artists and especially their fans. The world is big enough for Steve Hackett, Kanye West and Rihanna. The greater popularity of the latter two is multifactorial and not a big mystery. I enjoy some of their material myself although I'm not that familiar with most of it.

In fact - and I'm not trying to be controversial here, just honest - if I had an hour to kill, I'd rather take a punt on Kanye's new album than Steve's latest effort (I haven't heard either). I might go on to regret that decision but c'est la vie! Also, I'm not trying to make a point about one specific artist vs another, more a general point about attitudes towards other music fans and artists.

• And yet those same people will likely be able to name a song by Kanye West, Rihanna, or any one of a 1000 other talentless autotuned computer-accompanied muppets. Just goes to show, you can fool some of the people all of the time.

Blimey, what a bizarre sudden outburst of... not sure what to call it. Comparison griping?

I'm not convinced these citizens would in fact even be able to name songs by those two either, though they'd probably have at least heard of them.

SR will answer for themselves I'm sure but how do you know they didn't intend to call themselves Sliver Rainbow?!

Abandon all reason

• I don't share this attitude toward other artists and especially their fans. The world is big enough for Steve Hackett, Kanye West and Rihanna. The greater popularity of the latter two is multifactorial and not a big mystery. I enjoy some of their material myself although I'm not that familiar with most of it.

In fact - and I'm not trying to be controversial here, just honest - if I had an hour to kill, I'd rather take a punt on Kanye's new album than Steve's latest effort (I haven't heard either). I might go on to regret that decision but c'est la vie! Also, I'm not trying to make a point about one specific artist vs another, more a general point about attitudes towards other music fans and artists.

I'm the opposite, who's Kanye? LOL....:D I'm a huge Hackett fan and love most of his music.:)

I'm not into bland stuff!..... It just bores me silly.

• I’m 100% with Foxfeeder. I’m a music snob and honest about it. I detest mainstream hip hop, rap, snd modern pop. Cookie cutting, auto tuned tripe.

I adore Steve Hackett. If he wants to keep the prog era Genesis alive, God bless him for it because it’s almost like missionary work to share and keep alive the legacy of the band’s Gabriel/Hackett era stuff. I don’t give a fig whether or not people know who Steve is in 2021 in order to validate his work. When I last saw a Yes live show, all I heard was, “Yes? Who’s that?” “Steve Howe? What instrument does he play?” Ugh…..Did that stop me from going to that show and taking my wife and kids? Nope!

Steve made a few good albums, especially Voyage of the Acolyte and Spectral Mornings. But if we’re going to analyze solo albums, Tony’s stuff hasn’t exactly sold at MJ Thriller levels either. And yet, TB is my favorite keys man ever. Steve Howes solo stuff is fair, but his Yes stuff is other worldly!

I love Genesis, but I’d probably have a lot better time at Steve’s show than the official Genesis current show.

• I’m 100% with Foxfeeder. I’m a music snob and honest about it. I detest mainstream hip hop, rap, snd modern pop. Cookie cutting, auto tuned tripe.

I don't think strongly liking one type of music or detesting another type makes you a snob though. Those are just your preferences. How does detesting hip hip make you a snob? I think - but am open to correction here - that believing that your musical preferences mark you out as somehow superior to other people would make you a snob. This would be a point of view I could never understand.

Loving music passionately, hating other music with a passion? Sure. Same deal with paintings, movies and books, all art is supposed to evoke some sort of emotional response. It's a glorious thing really, and there such an abundance of all art forms out there you'll find plenty to love and hate. But no one's preferences make them better than anyone else, so I believe.

Sorry, bit of a long winded OT detour. Also, in the middle of typing it, I inadvertently hit a wrong combination of keys that yielded this result, hahaha:

:-((*_*)

It looks to me like an emoji for "who slipped this fatal toxin into my drink?"

• Official Post

A couple of unnecessary comments here recently. Please don't insult each other and stay on topic, thanks.