RIP Thread!!

• Two very different music RIPs: Harrison Birtwistle (87), renowned modernist composer; and Art Rupe (104), US producer who helped launch the careers of Little Richard and Sam Cooke.

Abandon all reason

• Dennis Waterman left us today. He's most well-known and liked for The Sweeney and Minder, as well as New Tricks. He was a child actor in Just William. I really enjoyed his performance in a West End stage production of Mary Poppins when he played Bert. Instead of the cheerful cockney elbows-out "gor bloymoy moyt!" persona we tend to expect of that character he brought a more serious, unsmiling irascible edge to it which was very interesting and worked well. It made me wish I'd got to see more of his stage work.

Abandon all reason

• Dennis Waterman left us today. He's most well-known and liked for The Sweeney and Minder, as well as New Tricks. He was a child actor in Just William. I really enjoyed his performance in a West End stage production of Mary Poppins when he played Bert. Instead of the cheerful cockney elbows-out "gor bloymoy moyt!" persona we tend to expect of that character he brought a more serious, unsmiling irascible edge to it which was very interesting and worked well. It made me wish I'd got to see more of his stage work.

Very sad to hear this news 😢 @74

Huge fan of the Sweeney and Minder as I still watch those shows today. :).. Dennis will now join his good friend John Thaw up above in the clouds.

Started watching News Tricks which later starred Nicholas Lyndhurst from Only fools and horses fame.

RIP!!!! :(

• He could do comedy, and blended it skilfully with drama in Minder and New Tricks. But I don't recall him in Only When I Laugh.

You're right, he wasn't in it. Peter Bowles, another recent departure, was though.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• My only Vangelis album is Albedo 0.39. Always struggled to get into it but it has a certain quality that still gets me to go back to it now and again after all these years. I think most people will know his music without even realising or knowing his name.

• Two losses announced today: actor Ray Liotta, probably best known for his lead role in Goodfellas.

And drummer Alan White. Of course most of us here will think of his work with Yes, understandably. As a major Beatles fan I'm going to post a tribute to his work with John Lennon. Here he is playing on Instant Karma on the BBC's Top Of The Pops.

Abandon all reason

• Two losses announced today: actor Ray Liotta, probably best known for his lead role in Goodfellas.

And drummer Alan White. Of course most of us here will think of his work with Yes, understandably. As a major Beatles fan I'm going to post a tribute to his work with John Lennon. Here he is playing on Instant Karma on the BBC's Top Of The Pops.

Wow! Two greats. Loved both their works. RIP Ray and Alan :(

• Another Wow from me here! 8|.... Am a huge fan of Liotta 's work and got most of his movies and surprised me, @67 seems too young and I believe he was working on several films at the time of death. :(

Another surprise Alan White, have not checked his status, but again assume his age was too young to die.

RIP Ray and John :(