RIP Thread!!

• Always been a fan of them and this news is very sad indeed ;(

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• I'm a fan and I'm sad for Florian's passing. The 80s as we know them from the music simply would have been different without the influence of Kraftwerk, if not only that one of their biggest early fans was Brian Eno. Many synth bands went straight to the source for Kraftwerk's influence; however, think how many bands have been produced by Eno from the 80s onward, not to mention Eno's albums themselves from the late 70s onward.

Kraftwerk, simply put, were giants of music - not only for their very interesting output, but by the people they influenced. The combined influence simply altered the course of music, full stop.

R.I.P., Florian - your influence will, almost literally, live forever.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Little Richard, age 87. He was classic early rock and roll, screaming, hollering, whooping. Intense, manic, and a little unhinged. Amazing the songs he released in just a couple of years on Specialty.

• Little Richard, age 87. He was classic early rock and roll, screaming, hollering, whooping. Intense, manic, and a little unhinged. Amazing the songs he released in just a couple of years on Specialty.

Guiltily, I have to confess I thought he'd already left us.

Big influence on the Beatles, especially Macca, which makes him a significant artist for me.

Abandon all reason

• Indeed, Little Richard, a true original and a massive talent, he was a class act. He really set the music world in a new direction, probably without even realising it. RIP.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Oh man. Jerry Stiller, known to many of us as comically irascible Frank Costanza in Seinfeld, has died aged 92.

I also fondly remember him in films of the 1960s/70s, including a favourite of mine, The Taking of Pelham 123.

I'm now wondering which Frank episode of Seinfeld to watch in his honour later.

Here is Jerry talking about being cast in Seinfeld.

RIP :(

Abandon all reason

• Sorry to hear of Jerry's passing. His wife, Anne Meara, passed a few years ago. Together, they formed the 60s stand-up comedy duo Stiller and Meara. Very funny couple. Along with the shows Backdrifter mentioned, Jerry also played the role of Arthur Spooner on the very funny long-running King Of Queens comedy TV series. Rest in peace, Jerry :(

• RIP Steve Priest, the bassist from the band The Sweet dies aged 72.

:(

He was the forefront of glamour with his make up.

Hadn't heard this. Bit of a shock, given his age, not that old these days. The band has a bit of a tragic history, Brian Connoly died very young, and if you saw the documentary about him, he was in very poor health for years. Mick Tucker, the drummer, was actually too good for this band, he'd have been a good fit in Yes, or someone like that, he really was top notch. Died of Leukaemia at around 57. Only Andy Scott left, a local lad to me, from Wrexham. His sister worked for the council there.

Was a fan in the early days, as much for the b-sides as the singles.

Ian

• RIP Ennio Morricone, writer of many great film scores, and occasional hits, which is more than many film writers ever manage.

Genesis connection: Steve Hackett plays Cinema Paradiso on his "There are many sides to the night" live album.

Ian

• I meant to say when I heard a couple of weeks back, pianist Keith Tippett has left us, aged 72. Known for his energetic jazzy style, he worked with a wide range of artists and appeared on a huge number of albums, both his own and other people's, right up to April this year. The King Crimson fans among us may know him from the work he did on Poseidon, Lizard and Islands.

Abandon all reason

• I know he's not prog rock, but Charlie Daniels died today from a stroke. He was 83. I went thru a country rock phase in the late 70s and The Charlie Daniels Band was one of the best, a great live act. His biggest hit was The Devil Went Down To Georgia. RIP Charlie :(

• He played his entire career at Leeds United which is the club I support (not far off 800 games). Absolute legend, it is such a sad loss.

That is now 3 Leeds players who have died in the past 3 months;(

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• iconic manager of the Ireland team, an unpopular/controversial appointment at the time, he led them to unimaginable heights. The highlight was a giddy trip to the quarter finals of the world cup in 1990 that captivated the country. Magical memories. RIP.

• https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53382561

I was saddened the learn of the death today of Judy Dyble who was one of the founding members of Fairport Convention and had recorded several tracks with Giles, Giles and Fripp.

Recently, I had learned she and David Longdon were collaborating on a new release, and as a fan of both Big Big Train and the various bands she has been peripherally involved in, I was looking forward to hearing the fruits from that effort.

Her regrettable passing will no doubt play in my mind when that album is released later this year.

• That is really sad news 😪

Abandon all reason