RIP Thread!!

• George "W" Bush spoke well at the funeral. It's seems incredible to think of all the jibes he came in for during his presidency. The World would give it's right arm to have him back right now! ;)

Bush Sr. was a pretty good president, though, like Reagan, he seems to get a lot of credit for the fall of the Iron Curtain, yet the guy who should get it, Mikhail Gorbachov, gets little or none.

And with all the presidents on the front row, it was nice to see the only one who pre-dates the 90's, Jimmy Carter. For my money, the best man there and still sharp as a tack, mentally, judging by recent interviews I've heard.

Surely one of the most decent people ever to have graced frontline politics.

And to add to your list, still - or at least until quite recently - building homes for the underprivileged.

Could there be a greater contrast with the cruel, ignorant waste of skin currently dragging the office of US President through the dirt?

Yes, as far as former Presidents are concerned, I put Carter right at the top. He has been nothing but admirable since he left office. Many weren't fond of his presidency, but I would argue that the late 70s was probably the worst time to be a president/prime minister of a country. The only countries who were doing well financially back then were the OPEC nations; they effectively had the rest of the world over a barrel (pun partially intended). Both of you pointed out many of his good work after his presidency; he also coordinated with the UN to monitor elections abroad in an attempt to expose potential corruption in them.

Amazingly, Carter is the same age as George H.W. Bush (94) - as you pointed out, you'd never know it by hearing him speak even today; he's completely lucid. Another thing they had in common was the military - everyone has been properly recounting GHWB's exemplary military record, but Carter himself served and was even a graduate of the US Naval Academy (an underreported fact). A bit sad that he (Carter) will eventually be the next one (most probably) to have all of these ceremonies.

I have to say that it was illuminating to hear all of the commemorations for GHWB this week - he certainly had grit. He lost a LOT of elections before he started breaking through. He also deserves a star for having to endure being the head of the RNC (Republican National Committee) during the Watergate era! That couldn't have been fun...

Well, again, R.I.P., George H.W. Bush.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Surely one of the most decent people ever to have graced frontline politics.

And to add to your list, still - or at least until quite recently - building homes for the underprivileged.

Could there be a greater contrast with the cruel, ignorant waste of skin currently dragging the office of US President through the dirt?

Yes, I was aware of his Homes for Humanity organisation, I used to be on a forum with one of it's committee, Michael Crook. Lost touch a few years ago.

I never understood the US electors ditching him the way they did, he was standing up for his country.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Jeremy Hardy dying aged 57 is a real sad loss. Radio (& TV) comedy in the UK is pretty dire now, with cartloads of tiresome nonentities competing to prove how “woke” they are. Jeremy & his mate Mark Steel are just about the only ones who've remained consistently funny.

RIP Jeremy :(

• Jeremy Hardy dying aged 57 is a real sad loss. Radio (& TV) comedy in the UK is pretty dire now, with cartloads of tiresome nonentities competing to prove how “woke” they are. Jeremy & his mate Mark Steel are just about the only ones who've remained consistently funny.

RIP Jeremy :(

My husband was a huge fan of both of them, even though he didn't share their politics. RIP Jeremy.

• Bruno Ganz, a fine actor. A sad loss.

Oh my... ;(

I am quite saddened over this passing. He was a wonderful actor. I can think of so many films where I loved his performances: Wings Of Desire, Faraway So Close, Unknown, the modern remake of The Manchurian Candidate, among many others. I even loved the way he spoke English with his Swiss/German accent.

Oh, a very sad day for cinema. R.I.P., Bruno - if it turns out that angels can visit with human beings like you did in the first two films I mentioned, you have my permission to pop around sometime.

• Oh my... ;(

I am quite saddened over this passing. He was a wonderful actor. I can think of so many films where I loved his performances: Wings Of Desire, Faraway So Close, Unknown, the modern remake of The Manchurian Candidate, among many others. I even loved the way he spoke English with his Swiss/German accent.

Oh, a very sad day for cinema. R.I.P., Bruno - if it turns out that angels can visit with human beings like you did in the first two films I mentioned, you have my permission to pop around sometime.

Beautifully put. Those films you listed, especially Wings, are wonderful. And let's not forget the way he handled the ultimate difficult role in Downfall.

The American Friend is another favourite.

Abandon all reason

• R.I.P., Peter Tork - the bassist of The Monkees:

https://www.washingtonpost.com…on&utm_term=.62188444a3b1

I grew up with The Monkees goofy TV show and I couldn't imagine my childhood without it. Peter was one of two Monkees (w/ Michael Nesmith) who actually had musical performing/songwriting ability. Their movie "Head" proved they could be edgier if they had been given rein to be so.

Well, I hope he enjoys his reunion with Davy. Coincidentally, Michael and Micky are touring this year; I'm sure he will be remembered at the shows now.

R.I.P., Peter.

• Every year during the Oscars, there is someone who passes where I wonder how in the heck did I miss this person’s passing.

A belated R.I.P. to Neil Simon, a man whose film adaptations of his scripts made me laugh a LOT back in the 70s.

• Agreed.

BTW, there's an "R.I.P. Thread" already here:

RIP Thread!!

Perhaps Christian can combine this post there...

• Official Post

done ;)

About Mark .... I was listening to Spirit of Eden again yesterday. I still have my problems with this album, I must say

• Just back from holiday, we heard of Mark's passing on the car radio as we were on the way to Manchester airport, and hitting the new road network around it. it was such a shock we missed a turning, and were about 20 minutes later than we would have been, luckily, we'd left plenty of time. My wife new Mark back in the late 70's when she lived down in Rochford, long before he found fame, so it was a bit more of a shock.

Also RIP Keith Flint. Never a fan of the Prodigy, but the reasons and cause of his death are particularly sad, and we all here know how it feels to lose a musical hero, so sympathy to all the family, friends and fans, along with those of Mark.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!