RIP Thread!!

• Eddie Money passed away from esophageal cancer this last week. He was 70. Not the most important of acts in music history, but still a big part of the 1980s, at least he was here in the states. RIP Eddie :(

• Ric Ocasek died yesterday (Sunday) in his sleep. He was 75. I have been a fan of The Cars from the beginning, since 1978. The band finally got into the RARHOF last year. Ric wrote some really good New Wave/Punk hits for about 10 years. I think I'll play a few of The Cars albums this morning. Their debut is near perfect. RIP Ric :(

• Ric Ocasek died yesterday (Sunday) in his sleep. He was 75. I have been a fan of The Cars from the beginning, since 1978. The band finally got into the RARHOF last year. Ric wrote some really good New Wave/Punk hits for about 10 years. I think I'll play a few of The Cars albums this morning. Their debut is near perfect. RIP Ric :(

Yes it certainly is! Fond memories of playing it repeatedly on car journeys in the 80s. Not a track on there that isn’t instantly memorable years (decades!) later.

For me the Cars are one of the greatest American bands.

RIP Ric :(

• Eddie Money passed away from esophageal cancer this last week. He was 70. Not the most important of acts in music history, but still a big part of the 1980s, at least he was here in the states. RIP Eddie :(

Ric Ocasek died yesterday (Sunday) in his sleep. He was 75. I have been a fan of The Cars from the beginning, since 1978. The band finally got into the RARHOF last year. Ric wrote some really good New Wave/Punk hits for about 10 years. I think I'll play a few of The Cars albums this morning. Their debut is near perfect. RIP Ric :(

I liked both acts, especially The Cars. The debut album is so good that it's pretty much their first volume of their "Greatest Hits" all by itself. "Candy-O", "Shake It Up", and "Heartbeat City" are great too (especially the last two - "Panorama" and "Door To Door" being their only semi-underwhelming releases, but neither were bad either. I never listened to "Move Like This", so I can't comment on it).

R.I.P., Ric!

As far as Eddie is concerned, I wouldn't have enjoyed 1982 as much as I did without his "No Control" album. That album was fantastic - even the videos from it were entertaining! "Shakin'", "Think I'm In Love" and the title track from that album are great songs.

R.I.P., Eddie!

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

Huge fan of both Cars and Ric's solo albums. Shocked at the news.

• Also, pernickety as it sounds, could the double exclamation marks be edited out of the thread title? It makes a somewhat sad and respectful thread sound inappropriately breathlessly excited.

Self-regarding as it is to quote myself, and as pernickety as it still no doubt is, again - could the "!!" be cut from this thread title? It just doesn't seem right.

Abandon all reason

• Ginger Baker: Legendary Cream drummer dies aged 80!!!.......:(

One of the very few drummers in rock who could put together a 10-15 minute drum solo that made me want to put up the volume and listen. He was best known for his work in Cream, but I also quite enjoyed his playing in Blind Faith and his post-BF project, Airforce.

RIP Ginger.

• Marie Fredriksson, of Roxette. She has had a long, difficult and ultimately unsuccessful battle with cancer, taking one of the truly great vocalists from us. Her performance on "It must have been love" is beyond outstanding. RIP.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• As with Neils Peart and Innes I find myself shedding a few tears at the horrible news that Monty Python's Terry Jones has died. What a crap start to 2020.

Python seemed to connect with the rock music world. Investors in Holy Grail included Genesis and Pink Floyd, and of course George Harrison helped to get Brian up and running, appeared in the Rutles film and became a close friend of Eric Idle.

In a way - indulge me here - Python were sort of The Beatles of comedy. As the Fabs took their 50s rock'n'roll, easy listening and show tunes influences and made something unique and hugely influential, the Pythons all said they were hugely indebted to The Goons but they took that surreal approach and did something that was very much their own and had a major ripple effect on comedy and other aspects of culture.

It appeared to be Jones and Cleese that were the two tent poles of Python, opposing poles at that as they often had scathing arguments. Cleese (with Chapman) brought the rigid logical approach that led to sketches involving arguments, shouting and violence whereas Jones (with Palin) was more interested in the weird and surreal approach, which was my preference as a viewer. That's always more the stuff I think back to.

A couple of years back Palin spoke in a heartbreaking interview about Jones's dementia, and broke down in tears during the interview as he described the pain of seeing this sharp inquisitive creative mind being lost.

As with those other losses, at least we have a great legacy of work to still enjoy.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• Sad news indeed!

Probably just as well considering his condition.:(

RIP Terry Jones!!!;(

• You can watch Palin break down again on the BBC site.

Very upset today. RIP Terry.

• Probably one for UK members, Nicholas Parsons leaves us, aged 96. Actor, comedian, presenter, raconteur, quiz host, and for decades the lynchpin of Just A Minute.

You beat me to it. Also a keen and talented horologist, his documentary on Marie Antionette's watch 3 or 4 years back was superb. RIP Nicholas.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!