RIP Thread!!

• You beat me to it. Also a keen and talented horologist, his documentary on Marie Antionette's watch 3 or 4 years back was superb. RIP Nicholas.

The watch docu is on BBC 4 tonight as a tribute!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• One of Hollywoods famous actors dies aged 103. Though frail, managed to survive the latter years after his stroke.

RIP Kirk Douglas. :( An actor I grew up with and admired...

Made a lot of iconic movies that are still loved today.

• One of Hollywoods famous actors dies aged 103. Though frail, managed to survive the latter years after his stroke.

RIP Kirk Douglas. :( An actor I grew up with and admired...

Made a lot of iconic movies that are still loved today.

Yes - a true great. His last speech at the Oscars a few years back was wonderful.

I am Spartacus!

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Lyle Mays has passed away at 66. He was the amazing keyboardist in the Pat Metheny Group. I was fortunate to have been able to attend one of their gigs a few years ago. RIP Lyle :(

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• 2 lost today.

Not to Covid19: Stirling Moss, the history books won't show it, but a better driver than James Hunt, Nigel Mansell and Damon Hill to name but 3.

Lost to Covid19: Tim Brooke-Taylor. Not only known for the Goodies, he was also a regular on "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue", before that "I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again" (Cast, the Goodies plus John Cleese, Jo Kendal and David Hatch, the latter became boss of BBC radio 2 some years later) and Hello Cheeky, a radio sketch show with John Junkin and Barry Cryer.

RIP both!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Yes, very upsetting to learn of Tim Brooke Taylor's death. A comedy fixture of my childhood and adulthood. I attended many ISIHAC recordings in the old much-missed BBC Paris Studios in Lower Regent Street.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• Yes, very upsetting to learn of Tim Brooke Taylor's death. A comedy fixture of my childhood and adulthood. I attended many ISIHAC recordings in the old much-missed BBC Paris Studios in Lower Regent Street.

How wonderful that you could do that. What a great man - my favourite Goodie.

• Sir Stirling Moss was regarded as one of the best F1 drivers ever. Highly regarded in F1......What a shame he never won a title. One of my heroes and often referred to highly by the public growing up.

Also bad news that Tim Brooke Taylor died. The Goodies was a show I loved a lot.

RIP to Sir Stirling and Tim ;(

• Stirling Moss

F1 regard him as one of the greatest ever. He often beat Fangio in races at other racing events... He won a total of 212 races in his career, but never got that F1 title... He won 16 races in Formula 1.

• RIP Brian Dennehy:(

Most famous roles started his career in Rambo First Blood and Cacoon... Success followed him after that. I quite liked him as an actor.

• RIP Brian Dennehy:(

Most famous roles started his career in Rambo First Blood and Cacoon... Success followed him after that. I quite liked him as an actor.

A great actor. Enjoyed him immensely. His latest role was on the series Blacklist as Elizabeth's grandfather. RIP Brian :(

• The sad news about Honor Blackman was picked up earlier here.

I was just reading some interesting stuff about her life. She described her childhood as not very loving, and had a conflicted relationship with her father who could be physically abusive yet also encouraged her to take elocution lessons then supported her when these led to acting lessons. She volunteered as a despatch rider in WWII biking packages across London during air raids.

As Cathy Gale in The Avengers she got bored of always taking a gun out of her handbag and actually learned judo to brown belt level to make her character a more distinctive action woman. She got heaps of fan mail mainly from women saying how inspirational she was. She made the role arguably the first action heroine on British TV. It even led to her writing a self-defence manual.

As a staunch republican she declined a CBE in 2002 and berated former Bond co-star Sean Connery for accepting a knighthood while a tax exile, saying "his principles aren't very high".

A very interesting person who led a full life. She died aged 94.

Abandon all reason

• Kraftwerk founding member Florian Schneider has died, aged 73.

I'm going to guess most here aren't too interested in Kraftwerk but will hopefully recognise nevertheless how groundbreaking and influential they were. I'm a big fan and very sad at this news.

It's depressing so far this year, music-wise - Neil Peart, Neil Innes, Bill Rieflin, Dave Greenfield earlier this week, now this.

😪

Abandon all reason