RIP Thread!!

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Breast cancer survival rates have increased from about 40% in the early 1970s to nearly 90% now. So it's a sobering alert that people can still die from it - desperately sad any time but it feels more so when you think how the death rate has dwindled so much.

Abandon all reason

• As a child I was a fanatical supporter of Leeds , that great team from 1970 to to around 78. So big Jack was a childhood hero of mine.

• RIP Q magazine.

Remember buying many editions in the 90s when the big music story in the UK/Ireland was britpop and oasis v blur. They put suede on the cover a lot too if I recall. Been around a long time. Haven't bought it in a while but was a bit sad to hear it was folding. Seemed like something that would just be around forever.

• RIP Q magazine.

Remember buying many editions in the 90s when the big music story in the UK/Ireland was britpop and oasis v blur. They put suede on the cover a lot too if I recall. Been around a long time. Haven't bought it in a while but was a bit sad to hear it was folding. Seemed like something that would just be around forever.

Me too. I have made a comment in the random thread.

• Very sad. Was lucky enough to see him with the Splinter Group must have been about 15 years ago.. I believe he got past his major and well documented health problems. His legacy was both the great music he made and was responsible for as well as giving much hope for those with mental health problems. A great man.

• Huge loss. One of my favourite guitarists, with a beautiful tone and sound.

I can listen to Peter Green and Danny Kirwin play off each other during a 25-minute version of Rattlesnake Shake and time just flies by.

Maybe, those two can meet up in the afterlife and play some amazing music together again.

RIP Peter.

• Yes indeed, RIP to Peter Green, from the best era of Fleetwood Mac. Shame his life went so far astray.

Also, RIP to Olivia De Havilland. I'll be honest, I thought she had passed long ago, but 104 is some age to reach, last of the stars of Gone With The Wind to die, which puts it in perspective, as that film was released in 1939.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Yes indeed, RIP to Peter Green, from the best era of Fleetwood Mac. Shame his life went so far astray.

Also, RIP to Olivia De Havilland. I'll be honest, I thought she had passed long ago, but 104 is some age to reach, last of the stars of Gone With The Wind to die, which puts it in perspective, as that film was released in 1939.

Wow! 104 8|... RIP Olivia De Havilland.

Also to Peter Green, who was friends with Pete Bardens(Camel)...RIP.

• We appear not to have mentioned Carl Reiner, who died earlier this month aged 98.

He was a writer, comedian, actor and director, probably best known for creating and writing The Dick Van Dyke Show. It was based on his own life and indeed he was going to be the main character but he decided to step back and play Van Dyke's egomaniacal boss. He was also on the writing team for the Sid Caesar show that also included Mel Brooks, Neil Simon and Woody Allen. He and Brooks remained friends until Reiner's death, apparently meeting every day for dinner and then during lockdown chatting by phone every night.

Sorry to learn of his death, I always liked him.

Abandon all reason

• We appear not to have mentioned Carl Reiner, who died earlier this month aged 98.

He was a writer, comedian, actor and director, probably best known for creating and writing The Dick Van Dyke Show. It was based on his own life and indeed he was going to be the main character but he decided to step back and play Van Dyke's egomaniacal boss. He was also on the writing team for the Sid Caesar show that also included Mel Brooks, Neil Simon and Woody Allen. He and Brooks remained friends until Reiner's death, apparently meeting every day for dinner and then during lockdown chatting by phone every night.

Sorry to learn of his death, I always liked him.

I hadn't heard that he had died. Notable to me for his involvement with some of Steve Martin's best films. RIP Carl.

Ian

• And farewell Denise Johnson... she sang on screamadelica and collaborated with Bernard Sumner/Johnny Marr, pet shop boys and a favorite of mine via Suede, Bernard Butler. Check out her backing vocals on his track Stay on Jools Holland.

• The latest very saddening news is that Diana Rigg has died.

Of course some media are already announcing it by referring to "Bond girl and Game of Thrones star" which I suppose are two things many will know her from as well as The Avengers. But her stage career was varied and extensive as well as her screen work, including a long run at the RSC early in her career. I was fortunate to see her on stage twice and she had a great presence.

Obviously The Avengers did a lot to put her in the public eye but she was uncomfortable with the attention, especially being thought of as a sex object. Although she was sometimes critical of feminism, she was also vocal about e.g. the disparity of pay between male and female leads - indeed while in The Avengers she lobbied for equal pay but sadly was criticised for this, even by other actresses.

One of my favourite screen roles of hers was a recent one, as the mother of the character played by real-life daughter Rachael Stirling in the wonderful Detectorists.

Abandon all reason

• Very sad news indeed!. :(

She was very much loved back in the day and a very attractive lady.

The Avengers was very much my TV favourite during the 70s.

RIP Diana Rigg.

• Very sad news. Loved Diana Rigg in The Avengers. Yes, even here in the states we got to see the Avengers. RIP dear soul :(

Oh, I know the States got the Avengers, I've known Americans on other forums who still rave about Emma Peel (Allegedly derived from "M(an) Appeal"). RIP Diana.

Ian