RIP Thread!!

• Also to the legendary F1 presenter Murray Walker, who presented motorsport for almost 50 years. He was such an icon and much loved throughout the world.

RIP Murray Walker aged 97. :(

Yes dear old Murray really was a legend, & F1 was never as interesting without him to enliven it. Loved how excited he could sound over some minor manoeuvre (“...and Christian Danner has just overtaken Volker Wiedler for 14th place!”). Murray & James Hunt made a wonderful team.

A shame about Sabine Schmidt too. I remember first seeing her on the old Top Gear driving Jeremy Clarkson round the Nurburgring in under 10 minutes - in a transit van! ^^

RIP to both of them.

• Two big stars of the movie screen left us this week: George Segal and Jessica Walter.

To be dearly missed as their contributions to the Art of Drama & Comedy entertainment will always keep their memory alive.

• Two big stars of the movie screen left us this week: George Segal and Jessica Walter.

To be dearly missed as their contributions to the Art of Drama & Comedy entertainment will always keep their memory alive.

I'll always remember the first time I saw a George Segal movie. It was a midnight showing of 'Where's Poppa?' (1970) produced by none other than Carl Reiner. Starring George Segal and the amazingly funny Ruth Gordon (of 'Harold and Maude' fame) RIP George

Plot taken from IMDB "When New York attorney Gordon Hocheiser meets Louise Callan, the girl of his dreams, he schemes to eliminate his aging, senile mother, even though he promised his late father that he'd always take care of her. He fears that his batty mom's eccentricities will shortly lead to Louise's departure.."

• RIP Paul Ritter, brain tumour, age 54, gone far too soon.

Not exactly a household name to many, but you will have seen him, recent roles include Friday Night Dinner, Belgravia, Chernobyl, Vera, and The Limehouse Golem. Good in all of them, and more.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Indeed, the end of an era. The majority of Brits have lived under the same monarch and consort all their lives. Quite an achievement, for want of a better word. RIP

Ian

• Indeed, the end of an era. The majority of Brits have lived under the same monarch and consort all their lives. Quite an achievement, for want of a better word. RIP

It kinda feels weird now as the challenges of the new monarchy when that happens will never be the same as the old.

Most loved of them all, very witty and loved most people he met. Served during WWII and awarded a bravery medal through his actions. Made thousands of public appearances and created loads of charities around the world. Hated the press and said exactly what he thought at the time. He was the first to make public interviews to social media and was never afraid to tell the truth.

Loyal to his wife and beside her all the way.

When the Queen passes, this new era of Royalty will never be the same as now. :(

RIP Prince Philip. :(

Duke of Edinburgh. WW2 veteran and rock to Queen Elizabeth 2nd and a man with a wicked sense of humour...

I will certainly miss him.

Edited once, last by Noni ().

• Helen McRory, like Paul Ritter, far too young to go, and also prolific and a great talent. A sad reminder that Covid is not the only departure lounge!

RIP

Ian

• Jim Steinman 😢

This shocked me when I saw the headline. He was only 73 but apparently had been sick. He has written some of the most enduring songs of the past half century including Bat Out Of Hell and Total Eclipse of the Heart. He seemed to have a love-hate relationship with Meat Loaf, in that they frequently ended up in court suing each other, but they always seemed to come back around and did their best work together.

If I recall correctly, he was also going to sing some early song himself (maybe even Bat out of Hell, or more likely an earlier song from some stage production) but a female biker broke his nose so he was unable to and the job fell to Meat Loaf. The favor was somewhat repaid when Meat Loaf ruined his voice touring Bat out of Hell, and was unable to sing the follow up album (Bad for Good). Steinman lost patience waiting for it to recover, and sang it himself. It was a relatively minor hit; when Meat Loaf was finally able to sing again, they released Dead Ringer which was much more successful that Steinman's solo attempt.

Anyway, a larger than life character, a nice guy too by all accounts, and a certified giant in the songwriting world of rock. RIP.

• Just heard of the sad death of Nanci Griffith, aged 68, singer, songwriter, guitarist, and chronicler of life in smalltown America for about 4 decades. No cause of death given yet, but she has had cancer twice, so it seems likely it was involved.

Although her music went off the boil a few years back, there's lots of great stuff in there, and the 2 disc set "The complete MCA recordings" is a good place to get a flavour of her best work. Here's one of her best, with a superb intro by the lady herself. RIP.

Nanci Griffith Love at the Five and Dime - YouTube

Ian

• Sean Lock, UK comedian, aged 58 from cancer. He had talked of having skin cancer in the past. Such a shame, he was one of my 3 favourite comedians of the current crop * (Lee Mack and Rhod Gilbert, since you're asking), he looked like any bloke you might meet in a pub, but his comedy took you on surreal trips you'd never expect. RIP, Purple Van Man!

* Jasper Carrott, who I was lucky enough to see live in the 70's, is unparalleled by any crop!

Ian

• Sean Lock, UK comedian, aged 58 from cancer. He had talked of having skin cancer in the past. Such a shame, he was one of my 3 favourite comedians of the current crop * (Lee Mack and Rhod Gilbert, since you're asking), he looked like any bloke you might meet in a pub, but his comedy took you on surreal trips you'd never expect. RIP, Purple Van Man!

* Jasper Carrott, who I was lucky enough to see live in the 70's, is unparalleled by any crop!

OMG!!! =O;(

Such a funny guy. Loved him too bits. RIP

After you posted this a few days ago, been watching some great tributes, mainly from comedians. Bill Bailey was a great friend of his and knew he was suffering from cancer. The same for Lee Mack, who again knew of his condition. Nice tribute from Susan Dent from Countdown. 58 is too early. I turn 60 in 2 months.=O

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'd never heard of Sean Lock. Thanks for sharing the video. Had me in stitches with tears of laughter. RIP Sean :saint:

• I'd never heard of Sean Lock. Thanks for sharing the video. Had me in stitches with tears of laughter. RIP Sean :saint:

There is loads of his stuff on youtube, I have 3 of his DVD's, "Live", "Lockipedia" and "Purple Van Man", and you can find lots from them on YT. Here's a good one, from UK TV show "Live at the Apollo" (Hammersmith, the same place Steve Hackett has played!) which includes one of my 2 other favourites, Lee Mack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsewl5cY6oQ

Ian

• This isn't specifically Sean Lock, but is a clip from QI featuring him among the panellists and is one of my favourite bits from that show, and he makes a couple of his characteristically amusing contributions. I haven't watched the above video, so apologies if this clip featured in it.

Various performers have been making very heartfelt tributes to him, he was well-liked in the industry.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().