RIP Thread!!

• Robbie Coltrane passed away today at 72. Loved him in the 'Cracker' British crime drama series. He also played Hagrid in the Harry Potter franchise. RIP Robbie :(

Was going to mention him, found him on the BBC today. :( Very funny bloke.

He also played in 2 James Bond movies and a number of excellent British comedies during the 80s.

Blackadder, The Young Ones, Girls On Top and Yes Minister.

Also appeared in Frasier.

RIP Robbie, sadly missed! :(

• I thought he was good in that as one of Daphne's brothers

I hated all the stuff in Frasier about Daphne and her variously-accented brothers, I found it cringey and detracted from an otherwise good show (as did Daphne herself with her utterly bizarre "Manchester" accent). I thought they wasted RC.

But anyway, plenty of much better stuff by which to remember and celebrate him. By all accounts he was a very nice bloke too.

Abandon all reason

• Sad to hear of the passing today of Dan McCafferty, the former lead singer of Nazareth.

This comes just four months after the death of another key member, Manny Charlton, who was the lead guitarist from the band's heyday.

I was a big fan back in the day, saw them in concert a couple of times in my teens and early 20s. I have very fond memories of seeing them perform.

• Sad to hear of the passing today of Dan McCafferty, the former lead singer of Nazareth.

This comes just four months after the death of another key member, Manny Charlton, who was the lead guitarist from the band's heyday.

I was a big fan back in the day, saw them in concert a couple of times in my teens and early 20s. I have very fond memories of seeing them perform.

Wasn't aware of Manny passing. A truly inventive, original and capable guitarist, IMO easily one of the ten best, yet overlooked in favour of many who I'd say are over-rated. Dan too, was a great frontman. RIP to both.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Wasn't aware of Manny passing. A truly inventive, original and capable guitarist, IMO easily one of the ten best, yet overlooked in favour of many who I'd say are over-rated. Dan too, was a great frontman. RIP to both.

To be honest, I hadn't heard about Manny either.

I was reading an article about McCafferty having died today and there was a passing reference made to Manny who passed away in July.

That is really sad and has a special poignancy for me, as Nazareth's version of This Flight Tonight was the first 7" single I bought. I still like it and it retains a special place in my heart.

Abandon all reason

• I'm going to mention actor Charlbi Dean Kriek as her death probably won't otherwise register here. I only say that as it's likely her name wouldn't feature on most people's radar, indeed she only just caught my attention last week when I saw a film with her in. It was an odd but very well-made and compelling, if occasionally nightmarish thing called Triangle Of Sadness. I took note of this beautiful female lead whose performance I thoroughly enjoyed, and afterwards looked her up. I discovered that she died in August aged just 32. She'd been tipped to have a very promising career, which I can see based on her work in this film.

So anyway that's my tiny wee belated tribute to Charlbi Dean Kriek, a terrific performer who died tragically young.

Abandon all reason

• Really upset to hear Nik Turner passed away on Thursday. Founder member of Hawkwind. I saw him with Hawkwind at a couple large gigs and big festival in the 80's, and with Inner City Unit at a small basement college gig wearing a sparkly cape with shaven head except for one long peace of hair in shape of a horn! Mainly though I will remember him for the many many times he gave Mrs Farmer and I great nights with several bands over the last 20 years. We went to see him whenever we could with Inner City Unit , The Nik Turner All Stars , Hawklords and especially Space Ritual. Back in the early 2000s he would wear a strange red.spikey top covering his whole upper half and head making him look like a bizarre red Sonic the Hedgehog as he would walk amongst the crowd playing his saxophone. These gigs were always at small venues, sometimes with less than hundred people but he always seemed to love playing and had a broad smile and a handshake before and after the show . When the Space Rock show finished he'd often come back and play the Pink Panther theme . We last saw him about 3 years ago guesting with Hawklords at age of 79. His playing wasn't up to what he used to do but remained an entertaining presence. . I remember going see Space Ritual at the same time Led Zeppelin played their reunion gig at the O2 . As usual we had a great night and.I distinctly remember thinking that I knew that we were exactly at the right place.

• Gutted to learn we've lost Keith Levene, a founder member of The Clash and PIL. His guitar playing was a definitive ingredient in the post-punk era and made a striking impression on the teenage me. I'll always remember a Whistle Test appearance of PIL doing Careering, Levene coaxing these angular textures from his guitar while triggering synth sounds by dipping his machine head on the keyboard. Sounds daft I know but it just looked so cool to me!

I know I've moaned about it before but it hacks me off posting these sad RIP notes in a thread headed with breathlessly excited-sounding !!s.

Abandon all reason

• Gutted to learn we've lost Keith Levene, a founder member of The Clash and PIL. His guitar playing was a definitive ingredient in the post-punk era and made a striking impression on the teenage me. I'll always remember a Whistle Test appearance of PIL doing Careering, Levene coaxing these angular textures from his guitar while triggering synth sounds by dipping his machine head on the keyboard. Sounds daft I know but it just looked so cool to me!

I know I've moaned about it before but it hacks me off posting these sad RIP notes in a thread headed with breathlessly excited-sounding !!s.

Punk killed certain genres of music.:(

Where is Punk today?... Unless you you look at the nakedness of some of these performers. Not an act off music!. Glad that you enjoyed it, in it's time.

Edited 2 times, last by Noni ().

• Punk killed certain genres of music.:(

No it didn't, that's a myth.

Where is Punk today?... Unless you you look at the nakedness of some of these performers. Not an act off music!.

Please see other threads for discussions of this. I came here to pay tribute to a musician whose work I liked at a formative time of my music listening, not start arguing about punk.

Abandon all reason

• Wilko Johnson has left us. One of the great distinctive rock guitarists, a terrific energetic performer and by all accounts a lovely bloke. He'd had a terminal diagnosis a few years back and in a great gesture of giving death the finger, immediately went out on tour on the basis of, what better way to go? But he survived and was in remission. Very sad that he's now made his final exit.

Abandon all reason

• Wilko Johnson has left us. One of the great distinctive rock guitarists, a terrific energetic performer and by all accounts a lovely bloke. He'd had a terminal diagnosis a few years back and in a great gesture of giving death the finger, immediately went out on tour on the basis of, what better way to go? But he survived and was in remission. Very sad that he's now made his final exit.

Very sad. Saw him a couple times in recent years.i heard the most fascinating interview with him a few years ago. It was about his depression and cure form his terminal cancer. Don't know if it came back. He believed he was going die , did all the things he wanted to, including working with Roger Daltry and touring Japan..He spent all his money and when in Japan he came across a doctor that said he could cure him and he did! Then the Roger Daltry album came out and sold really well and Wilko earned a whole load money than he had ever done from a record! The insights he gave into depression was a real eye opener. He sounded like a wonderful man.