The Tragically Hip Road Apples Blu Ray CD

• I don't know if any one here has even heard of the Canadian band called , The Tragically Hip???

They are releasing a 30th Anniversary version of their second album called , Road Apples.

It will have both a vinyl + a Blu Ray disc and CD/blu ray versions of the box sets.

The CD version has 5 discs.

1. The full red book CD remastered in , 2021

2. Live at the Roxy 1991 , remastered 2021. It has the version of the song New Orleans Is Sinking [the Killer Whale Tank version].

3. A CD of SASKADELPHIA. The amazing 5 lost songs from the original Road Apples album.

4. A CD of unreleased songs and alternative versions of Road Apples songs.

5. Road Apples on Blu Ray [Atmos , 5.1 etc...] including 5 songs from Saskadelphia

The vinyl version will also have this Blu Ray Disc too.

For anyone interested go too

thehip.com

• As a Canadian, I am very familiar with The Tragically Hip. I must admit I have mixed feelings about their music. Their songs - really Gord Downie's lyrics - tell many great stories from Canadian history and the Canadian experience. However the music can be pretty pedestrian at times, not much better than a competent bar band. Rob Baker in particular can play a lot of solos that seem to go nowhere. However, when the music comes together (and it usually does a few times per album), the result can be a great song.

Given this, the compilation Yer Favourites is really enough Hip for me, though Road Apples is probably one of their strongest albums overall. I haven't listened to the Saskadelphia material, so have no opinion on that. The package looks great overall for fans.

Live they were worth seeing, particularly for Downie's performance as a frontman. Live shows also covered their stronger songs for the most part, so I didn't half to sit through what I considered their less-interesting material. My favourite gig was seeing them in the basement of a Middle Eastern restaurant in Boston (they never caught on in the U.S., so it was easy to see them in small places while they were selling out arenas in Canada). While most of the customers were eating dinner, the band put on a great show although Downie had difficulty with the very low ceiling, whacking it with his mic stand a few times.

• I'm a big fan, I have all their albums and most of Gord's solo output and Road Apples is my favourite Hip album.

But I'm never keen on repurchasing albums I already have.

I picked up Saskadelphia - a collection of unreleased tracks recorded during the Road Apples sessions - upon release this past summer.

It wasn't reported at the time, but if I had known it was going to be part of a box set coming out later in the year, I would have waited to get the whole set.

Instead, I think I'll stick with what I've got and give it a pass.

• ALL of the CDs are recently remastered including LIVE AT THE ROXY 1991 including the the ,

" The Killer Whale Tank . rant from the song , New Orleans Is Sinking " And the "HIGHWAY GIRL" rant.

ROAD APPLES on blu ray combined with SASKADELPHIA on 1 disc.?

plus a newly remastered , LIVE AT THE ROXY 1991.?