Has any other band produced so many solo albums?

• Title says it all really! Has any other well-known band produced so many solo projects and albums? I can't think of another, but then I know Genesis inside and out, more than any other band. With Genesis you had 6 incredible talented members all producing high quality solo work over several decades. Is there any comparable band?

• Official Post

I don’t think so. Even the Beatles did not have that many solo albums. Steve Hackett alone has 30 albums.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• With Genesis you had 6 incredible talented members all producing high quality solo work over several decades.

6 members? There have been 7 Genesis members making solo albums (though whether or not you'd call all of them "incredible talented members" is up to you).

BTW, I have at least one solo album by each of the 7 members. And I'm sure lots of other Genesis fans could say the same.

As far as other bands go, Yes has had more members making solo albums, even if it's not a larger number of albums. I can think of 9 members off the top, and I'm not totally sure if that's all of them.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• 6 members? There have been 7 Genesis members making solo albums (though whether or not you'd call all of them "incredible talented members" is up to you).

BTW, I have at least one solo album by each of the 7 members. And I'm sure lots of other Genesis fans could say the same.

As far as other bands go, Yes has had more members making solo albums, even if it's not a larger number of albums. I can think of 9 members off the top, and I'm not totally sure if that's all of them.

I know Rick Wakeman(Yes) has a huge collection in his name around 80 albums and that does not include his live albums.

• 6 members? There have been 7 Genesis members making solo albums (though whether or not you'd call all of them "incredible talented members" is up to you).

ha ha, it wasn't a deliberate snub I assure you! Ray just slipped my mind. I don't personally think of him when I think of Genesis, but he was of course a member with a solid solo career of his own.

• I know Rick Wakeman(Yes) has a huge collection in his name around 80 albums and that does not include his live albums.

Really? I had no idea. I'm only aware of his big 70s albums I suppose.

I'd guess Ant Phillips must be the most prolific of Genesis members, in terms of albums in his name?

• Really? I had no idea. I'm only aware of his big 70s albums I suppose.

He went through a prolific stretch in the '90s where he was releasing multiple albums a year.

By the way, if you like those "big 70s albums," I highly recommend Red Planet which came out last year. A real return to form; fully instrumental, very much in the style of Criminal Record and Six Wives.

• Am a big fan of RW and have most of his stuff but not if he counts. The six essentially started with Genesis and branched out afterwards whereas Ray was doing his own thing anyway.

• Genesis does have the advantage of having many members, former and current. So if we go with all 7, I count 100 studio albums, including side projects and bands. As mentioned above, Steve Hackett contributed the most albums by far. I would be surprised if there is another major band that produced as much solo work and side projects.

The members of The Beatles had 69 studio albums by my count. That's an average of 17 per member, which isn't bad considering that both Lennon and Harrison's lives were cut short. The average for Genesis members is about 14 per member, but needs to take in account that Genesis continued as an entity through the decades whereas The Beatles did all their solo work after the band broke up.

• I'm not sure about Soft Machine, but for the sheer number of members that passed through this band there should be a high number of solo albums. At least by some of them. I think they might suffer in this contest for having put out albums of side projects rather than literal solo albums...

• I'm guessing that Anthony Phillips has almost as many studio releases as Hackett does, maybe even more. I've got at least 25-30 CDs by AP

Actually you are right, I miscounted (should do this better than a messy bunch of scrawl on a scrap of paper). He has a few more than Hackett. The total for studio albums by Genesis members should be pushed up to around 110.

• Genesis does have the advantage of having many members, former and current. So if we go with all 7, I count 100 studio albums, including side projects and bands. As mentioned above, Steve Hackett contributed the most albums by far. I would be surprised if there is another major band that produced as much solo work and side projects.

The members of The Beatles had 69 studio albums by my count. That's an average of 17 per member, which isn't bad considering that both Lennon and Harrison's lives were cut short. The average for Genesis members is about 14 per member, but needs to take in account that Genesis continued as an entity through the decades whereas The Beatles did all their solo work after the band broke up.

From the band Yes.... Not including live albums

Jon Anderson 15

Rick Wakeman 80

Chris Squire 2

Bill Bruford 8

Alan White 1

Geoff Downes 7

Trevor Robin 6

Patrick Moraz 13

Oliver Wakeman 12

So far I counted 144 albums from the band members of Yes.

• You could add others by Peter Banks, Igor Khoroshev and Billy Sherwood.

• Are you counting the 2 Bruford/Moraz albums under 1 of them? :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!