What is the best Genesis concert tour?

• My observation: This poll voting reflects more the result of the tastes for the album quality and not the tours.

I am old enough to say that I saw the early tours 1973-1974 (4 times) and the Lamb tour was my #1 for many years. But with the advent of the grandiosity of later tours (including other bands besides Genesis) during the 80's and 2000's, that tour has fallen down a little on my list.

About having a time machine, I would have loved to see the 76-78 tours that I missed but recovered in the 80's going to the Duke (2), Abacab (2) and Mama tours. Never saw the '82 Encore tour tho but Duke is still my new #1 even having seen the 1992 and 2007 tours that technically and visually are more stunning.

• My observation: This poll voting reflects more the result of the tastes for the album quality and not the tours.

I am old enough to say that I saw the early tours 1973-1974 (4 times) and the Lamb tour was my #1 for many years. But with the advent of the grandiosity of later tours (including other bands besides Genesis) during the 80's and 2000's, that tour has fallen down a little on my list.

About having a time machine, I would have loved to see the 76-78 tours that I missed but recovered in the 80's going to the Duke (2), Abacab (2) and Mama tours. Never saw the '82 Encore tour tho but Duke is still my new #1 even having seen the 1992 and 2007 tours that technically and visually are more stunning.

Interesting comment from someone who was fortunate enough to see the early '70s tours (I go back to '77 so that's my baseline). I actually didn't like the Duke tour (which I saw in Ottawa); I preferred ATTWT and Abacab/Encore tours. I just thought the setlist in '80 was unbalanced (they only had 4 post-Gabriel albums) with only a couple of Gabriel era songs played. The lighting was also super pared down compared to '78 and '81 (which of course featured the introduction of Varilights). All opinion of course....

• Interesting comment from someone who was fortunate enough to see the early '70s tours (I go back to '77 so that's my baseline). I actually didn't like the Duke tour (which I saw in Ottawa); I preferred ATTWT and Abacab/Encore tours. I just thought the setlist in '80 was unbalanced (they only had 4 post-Gabriel albums) with only a couple of Gabriel era songs played. The lighting was also super pared down compared to '78 and '81 (which of course featured the introduction of Varilights). All opinion of course....

Agreed, it's all a matter of opinion.

I recall about that '82 Tour that I missed when my friends raved about the massive show at Jarry Park in Montreal that a couple of years before had Supertramp & Jean-Luc Ponty a that venue. Incredible.

Back to Genesis, I agree that the "mirrors" '78 tour and of course, Seconds Out '77 were far superior to Duke but I can't compare them since I did not see them live in '77'-'78.

Oh yes, when the Vari-lites were first used, that really pared down the Duke '80 tour but maybe it's because I have a special memory of it having met Phil & Mike at the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ at an intimate warm-up show before the MSG-NYC concert that made that memorable night very special.

• The Duke tour is special for me as my first time seeing them but before the gigs I was disappointed I wasn't going to get mirrors and lasers. That said, given the smaller venues and the unavoidably trimmed-back light show they showed how creative they could be with a relatively sparser set-up. Even with just static lights and no other add-ons it was still better than other acts' light shows I saw at the time.

Abandon all reason

• the Blu Ray of the Three Sides Live concert.

Does any one know it you can watch the concert by itself with out the those annoying interviews breaking up the live songs? Thank you in advance.

• the Blu Ray of the Three Sides Live concert.

Does any one know it you can watch the concert by itself with out the those annoying interviews breaking up the live songs? Thank you in advance.

It's a terrible format isn't it. It was made at a time when live music films were mucked around with, as though the makers felt that just showing the performance wasn't enough and it needed to be interspersed with other stuff. One of the worst bits is just before that exultant climactic segment of M&SJ it cuts to another interview and doesn't return.

I think it is what it is, there's no 'show-only' version, sadly.

Abandon all reason

• It's a terrible format isn't it. It was made at a time when live music films were mucked around with, as though the makers felt that just showing the performance wasn't enough and it needed to be interspersed with other stuff. One of the worst bits is just before that exultant climactic segment of M&SJ it cuts to another interview and doesn't return.

Yep, it’s almost as bad as the concert film of the ATOTT tour. Arguably the two greatest instrumental sections Genesis ever did—the end of Cinema Show and Apocalypse in 9/8–and we get to see very little of the band actually playing those sections. I have no idea how the idiotic silent movie clip was supposed to represent Cinema Show, and the war scenes superimposed over A in 9/8 was completely unnecessary.

• It would be good if Management worked on releasing new full show's because we don't have these and even more fitting now to have

We can talk ourselves numb over all the things that would be good if..., but as mentioned in archive discussions elsewhere we all know they are not, never have been and never will be a clear-out-the-attic band. There won't be any full shows releases beyond what there already is.

Yep, it’s almost as bad as the concert film of the ATOTT tour. Arguably the two greatest instrumental sections Genesis ever did—the end of Cinema Show and Apocalypse in 9/8–and we get to see very little of the band actually playing those sections. I have no idea how the idiotic silent movie clip was supposed to represent Cinema Show, and the war scenes superimposed over A in 9/8 was completely unnecessary.

I can only guess the silent movie clip represents "cinema". I saw that godawful film twice on the same day, in a cinema in the late 70s. It was the support film - remember them? - for a feature-length Incredible Hulk, as in the Bixby/Ferrigno TV series. How on earth that shotgun marriage of features occurred is anyone's guess. I went with a schoolfriend and fellow fan. A couple were within earshot, before the programme started she said of the support film "What's Genesis?" for that's how it was listed, just that word, and her partner said "Oh I expect it's some nature documentary" which caused us mild amusement.

We watched it, sat through the Hulk, then watched the Genesis film again - you could do that back then. But it was just as crappy the 2nd time. That's both the times I've ever seen it

Abandon all reason

• We can talk ourselves numb over all the things that would be good if..., but as mentioned in archive discussions elsewhere we all know they are not, never have been and never will be a clear-out-the-attic band. There won't be any full shows releases beyond what there already is.

I can only guess the silent movie clip represents "cinema". I saw that godawful film twice on the same day, in a cinema in the late 70s. It was the support film - remember them? - for a feature-length Incredible Hulk, as in the Bixby/Ferrigno TV series. How on earth that shotgun marriage of features occurred is anyone's guess. I went with a schoolfriend and fellow fan. A couple were within earshot, before the programme started she said of the support film "What's Genesis?" for that's how it was listed, just that word, and her partner said "Oh I expect it's some nature documentary" which caused us mild amusement.

We watched it, sat through the Hulk, then watched the Genesis film again - you could do that back then. But it was just as crappy the 2nd time. That's both the times I've ever seen it

That sort of mix of films was typical back then. My mum and aunt went to see the film of the investiture of the Prince of Wales back in 1971, and dragged me along. The support film was the then 2 year old Bullitt. Guess which I enjoyed most!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• That sort of mix of films was typical back then. My mum and aunt went to see the film of the investiture of the Prince of Wales back in 1971, and dragged me along. The support film was the then 2 year old Bullitt. Guess which I enjoyed most!

Classic!...Charlie over Steve Mcqueen everytime 😂

• Classic!...Charlie over Steve Mcqueen everytime 😂

Ironic! The cinema in question was called the Classic. Was pulled down later that year or the following, to be replaced by a new C&A, then that closed, it became a Woolworths, then when that closed, a Primark. Not a good omen for Primark then!

"Anyway", that was the last "Cinema Show" I ever saw there! ^^

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• That sort of mix of films was typical back then. My mum and aunt went to see the film of the investiture of the Prince of Wales back in 1971, and dragged me along. The support film was the then 2 year old Bullitt.

Yes I think they'd just see what was available. Thematic linking wasn't a priority. Your double bill there is one of the starkest examples of that I've heard of.

The other main thing I recall about the ATOTT film is that they stuck IKWIL at the start - in itself not necessarily a bad thing as it makes a reasonable opener - but during it PC does cringey stuff like pretending to 'steer' himself around with the tambourine, and going around putting hats on everyone's heads. It's all very naff, but I suppose to be fair the guy was still feeling his way around being the front man.

That 'setlist deconstruction' approach crops up in the 3SL film as well if I recall correctly.

I don't think MR and SH's announcements are in that 76 film are they? In fact does it even show PC making any announcements?

I might have to seek the film out and maybe give it a go for the first time in over 40 years. Then find the Hulk 'film' to complete the experience.

Abandon all reason

• We can talk ourselves numb over all the things that would be good if..., but as mentioned in archive discussions elsewhere we all know they are not, never have been and never will be a clear-out-the-attic band. There won't be any full shows releases beyond what there already is.

I unfortunately missed the ATOTT tour by a smidgeon, age wise, but perhaps those who saw a show can answer this question. Was the backdrop film shown on the '79 film (the people chasing the earth ball) actually projected live as one of the films? I know they used a lot of films/slides on that tour as it was sort of meant to be Lamb part 2, visually. I do have a friend who saw that tour but he doesn't remember (either way) whether Cinema Show had projections. He does remember Carpet Crawlers having a film and numerous other slides. Thanks.

• I might have to seek the film out and maybe give it a go for the first time in over 40 years. Then find the Hulk 'film' to complete the experience.

I just did this. No point waiting, eh?

Those stupid film inserts spoil what would have been a nice little film, the performance is great and I love seeing BB on drums. I suppose the director was too scared to just show a band playing, especially one not known for outrageous on-stage antics (at least at this point).

I know concert films intercut audience shots that aren't necessarily from the song currently playing, fair enough but it's done laughably badly in the intro to Los Endos when it shows ecstatic reactions to, most likely, the end of SR. (And also a woman looking somewhat distracted and just starting to yawn).

Abandon all reason

• Is it just me, or in the ATOTT concert video does the opening scene of the band walking from from their dressing room to the stage remind anyone else of that scene in Spinal Tap where the band gets lost trying to find the stage? Lol

• It's a terrible format isn't it. It was made at a time when live music films were mucked around with, as though the makers felt that just showing the performance wasn't enough and it needed to be interspersed with other stuff. One of the worst bits is just before that exultant climactic segment of M&SJ it cuts to another interview and doesn't return.

• Is it just me, or in the ATOTT concert video does the opening scene of the band walking from from their dressing room to the stage remind anyone else of that scene in Spinal Tap where the band gets lost trying to find the stage? Lol

I suppose pretty much any such sequence will likely make someone think of that brilliant scene if they've seen it!

Abandon all reason