Last 4 UK shows postponed due to positive covid tests within band

• After seeing manchester i watched newcastle a couple of nights ago and was v impressed by the progress phil was making. He sounded much better and They seemed to be really enjoying themselves again. The O2 shows would’ve been wonderful. Who knows what happens now. Gutted for them and all the fans.

• I feel really bad for fans who were so looking forward to seeing these shows - especially those who had made travel arrangements and booked hotels.

Devastating news.

• I predict they'll just tack these make-up shows, along with Ireland, onto the schedule of the inevitable 2022 tour dates.

Yes I know Phil said they would not be continuing next year, but I do not believe it. I still fully believe they'll do a few months' worth next year, before wrapping it up.

We shall see.

• After seeing manchester i watched newcastle a couple of nights ago and was v impressed by the progress phil was making. He sounded much better and They seemed to be really enjoying themselves again. The O2 shows would’ve been wonderful. Who knows what happens now. Gutted for them and all the fans.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful by posting this but after listening to the Glasgow video.... Eeeekkkk. Phil's voice was horrible, off-key, off tempo, etc. I'm willing to give the guy some love and slack (lower keys, change in tone, etc.) but this was beyond the bounds of what a professional musician should be able to deliver, especially at the ticket prices charged for this tour.

• Sooo

Reading about the band leaving the stage without a bow etc.. And tony banks frustrations with gear (Glasgow)

I actually noticed it at Liverpool too. He wasnt happy about something at some stage. Maybe a monitor mix.

It was after duchess. And something didnt sound right to me on duchess. Like something wasnt working during verses.

Anyway. I was seriously looking at going to another concert. My favourite band of all time and the reason i became a musician.

Maybe i will get to see them again afterall.

No maoning from me. Its was an absolute privilege to see the guys live again. The production is amazing.

Covid is no joke even with the vaccine.

Im vaccinated. Pretty fit guy, and i am still struggling months later with lack of energy.

I hooe they are ok. And if they need to. Take as long as it takes to recover.

Doing a big concert would be the last thing to with the after effects of covid if any of them get this fatigue bullshit a lot are suffering with.

• I predict they'll just tack these make-up shows, along with Ireland, onto the schedule of the inevitable 2022 tour dates.

Yes I know Phil said they would not be continuing next year, but I do not believe it. I still fully believe they'll do a few months' worth next year, before wrapping it up.

We shall see.

I would guess 2022 shows are now more likely too. But it may still just be playing out existing obligations. Might spur on some extra dates though to make it more worthwhile. I saw the show but I'm genuinely gutted for those that won't for the time being.

• I don't mean to sound disrespectful by posting this but after listening to the Glasgow video.... Eeeekkkk. Phil's voice was horrible, off-key, off tempo, etc. I'm willing to give the guy some love and slack (lower keys, change in tone, etc.) but this was beyond the bounds of what a professional musician should be able to deliver, especially at the ticket prices charged for this tour.

Also with no disrespect but I think there's a lot of confusion with people watching videos and making judgements about the quality. Remember it is first and foremost a live show and live shows are rough and ready at the best of times. They're also very forgiving in a way that videos aren't (particularly phone videos on youtube).

The atmosphere in that room was electric and Genesis on 50% functioning power is still better than most other bands on 100%. Also this is the first time Genesis has toured in the smartphone/youtube era so people are seeing them in a whole new way. I bet the early shows in 2007 were rough too but by the time they filmed them they're on fire.

It's 2021 and you have to set different standards, but really the show isn't diminished by the situation, it just forces us to confront new realities and appreciate that somehow they used to be even better!

• So gutted.

I think that if the Band head of to North America before rescheduling the UK dates first and playing them, I fear they won't return after that schedule and more than likely other postponements ahead.

Sad times, but I'd rather everyone be healthy and Phil last another 15+ years doing whatever he wants to for himself.

• Also with no disrespect but I think there's a lot of confusion with people watching videos and making judgements about the quality. Remember it is first and foremost a live show and live shows are rough and ready at the best of times. They're also very forgiving in a way that videos aren't (particularly phone videos on youtube).

The atmosphere in that room was electric and Genesis on 50% functioning power is still better than most other bands on 100%. Also this is the first time Genesis has toured in the smartphone/youtube era so people are seeing them in a whole new way. I bet the early shows in 2007 were rough too but by the time they filmed them they're on fire.

It's 2021 and you have to set different standards, but really the show isn't diminished by the situation, it just forces us to confront new realities and appreciate that somehow they used to be even better!

Very well said and saves me struggling to articulate my own thoughts on this! So basically - yeah, what you said.

Abandon all reason

• Few mistakes from everyone aside and Phil getting used to singing, let alone the complex Genesis songs, they are doing great and still command the stage from everything I've seen and heard.

• Official Post

Phil wasn’t tested positive, our sources say. But anyway, they had to do it. Whether or not they knew before the show on the 7th is subject to speculations. Their behavior during that show might indicate they knew. Maybe they learned about this just before the show.

• A great shame and a health worry as they all get older, especially Phil. I’m so sorry for those who have tickets and in many cases reasons why the gig would be especially important to them. At least we know that Genesis do not like to let concert goers down ( reissues and websites are another matter ……) so they will do these dates as soon as they can but very disappointing in the meantime.

• Phil wasn’t tested positive, our sources say. But anyway, they had to do it. Whether or not they knew before the show on the 7th is subject to speculations. Their behavior during that show might indicate they knew. Maybe they learned about this just before the show.

Sounds like something like that happened and explains the hasty exit. They must be gutted, they've had a bumpy ride on this tour so far but they've been killing it on stage!

• Someone from the VIP host team yesterday said the question of further touring in 2022 is pretty much dictated by PC's feelings about it, and that at the moment he's feeling very positive. He's enjoying the touring and the feeling among tour personnel is that US West Coast and mainland Europe will likely happen... but as I say, this was the hospitality team leader - he travels with the tour but I couldn't honestly say how plugged in to the crew he is. He was at pains to say that of course none of this is confirmed.

But if the Europe dates are added they might roll the Glasgow/London dates into those.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• They probably found out within an hour even 2 of the show beginning and was too late to cancel and well they were all together at that point so probably limited backstage access to band only etc.

• Reading a statement the band released on YouTube it’s clear that a) they are very upset about having to postpone the shows, and b) they will almost certainly schedule new dates for these 4 canceled shows.

• Reading a statement the band released on YouTube it’s clear that a) they are very upset about having to postpone the shows, and b) they will almost certainly schedule new dates for these 4 canceled shows.

I think so. I feel very concerned for the band members, and upset for those of you who won't see the shows now, but I think this sums it up. To coin a phrase 'it's gonna get better', which I think sounds better than a previous post which said something like 'the tour was doomed'. <X:saint: