Last 4 UK shows postponed due to positive covid tests within band

• Reading a statement the band released on YouTube it’s clear that a) they are very upset about having to postpone the shows, and b) they will almost certainly schedule new dates for these 4 canceled shows.

I've not located anything official on YouTube aside from other people's uploads quoting the press release only.

• UK tabloid headlines: PHIL COLLINS CANCELS TOUR DUE TO ILL HEALTH.

Predictable distortion bollocks of course, but no less annoying for that.

Yes, i saw that this morning....poor reporting to say the least. He was even credited with the statement that management put out!

Had a few drinks last night to get over not seeing them next week...hopefully be sooner rather than later when back on the road. Maybe before the US leg starts if the UK venues available ?

But there's nothing you can do when your the next in line!

• Oh my God... I was afraid some like this happened during the tour...

As a fan that could travel from Spain and see the show I understand 100% the frustration and sadness that all fans coming to England are suffering (paying for pcr, preparing the trip, other documents, worries about covid, caring for your son or daughter travelling with you -what a disappointment for a teenager-...).

Of course I understand the shock for the rest of fans too.

I hope and I am convinced that they will go ahead with the tour at some moment, and I hope at heart that these positive tests don't mean serious illness...

Hugs for all of you fans, the band and the crew!!

Edited 5 times, last by Al9000 ().

• hopefully be sooner rather than later when back on the road. Maybe before the US leg starts if the UK venues available ?

I think that's unlikely, I assume it'll be 2022. Both the Glasgow and London venues look pretty busy between now and the US tour.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• Very well said and saves me struggling to articulate my own thoughts on this! So basically - yeah, what you said.

Not trying to pick a bone at all but if I had watched a Genesis video from 1973, 1976, 1980, etc., at the time, should I also have not judged the performance and just "see them live"? I have tickets for Genesis too this time around, let me clear. But my level of enthusiasm is at about a "1" on a 1-10 scale, after seeing these videos. You can delude yourself into thinking that they sound great; they don't unless you're tone deaf. Phil Collins can't sing anymore, period. His timbre is horrible, he's off key a good chunk of the time and he can't sing to the tempo (just watch the damned videos). Yes, the visuals are great, yes, the musicianship (mostly) is ok but that's not enough for a professional show that's charging $150-$500 a ticket. Come on! You wouldn't accept this from any other act! Now if you want to enjoy the company of other G-fans and have fun for one night, I get that. But to push the argument that they sound great? Not even close, unless you're completely delusional or your only experience of them live is 2007.

• Not trying to pick a bone at all but if I had watched a Genesis video from 1973, 1976, 1980, etc., at the time, should I also have not judged the performance and just "see them live"? I have tickets for Genesis too this time around, let me clear. But my level of enthusiasm is at about a "1" on a 1-10 scale, after seeing these videos. You can delude yourself into thinking that they sound great; they don't unless you're tone deaf. Phil Collins can't sing anymore, period. His timbre is horrible, he's off key a good chunk of the time and he can't sing to the tempo (just watch the damned videos). Yes, the visuals are great, yes, the musicianship (mostly) is ok but that's not enough for a professional show that's charging $150-$500 a ticket. Come on! You wouldn't accept this from any other act! Now if you want to enjoy the company of other G-fans and have fun for one night, I get that. But to push the argument that they sound great? Not even close, unless you're completely delusional or your only experience of them live is 2007.

Oh well, never mind.

Abandon all reason

• I read somewhere here that Youtube videos tend to highlight flaws in a live show. And I think it's true. I've never been to Genesis show, but being in the moment it is happening changes the whole perspective (and it's probably true for nearly every artist). We get more of a general feeling being there, rather than paying attention to details (even if you can, especially when you're a musician also).

Every member of the audience, particularly the fans, and most importantly the band itself acknowledge this is not their best show they put on, because of physical problems and age. They're giving the best they can.

This is expensive, yes. But there is a context for the whole thing : this is their last tour, Phil is tired, and there is a pandemic, so setting a tour is a real bet. So it's quite emotional, not so rational. And it's a good thing. Judging by the amount of people coming, price does not seem to be a problem to most of them, even if the music is not perfect. There is a lot more than that.

I'm a musician and I know all the songs by heart, so I notice every little mistake or flaw happening while playing. But it doesn't bother me. I'm too happy to see everyone happy... And this is what makes a great concert also.

You wouldn't accept this from any other act!

Probably not. But since it's Genesis in 2021, then...

• UK tabloid headlines: PHIL COLLINS CANCELS TOUR DUE TO ILL HEALTH.

Predictable distortion bollocks of course, but no less annoying for that.

I saw another, maybe from the Express or something, along the lines of "Tony Banks storms off stage after fight with Mike Rutherford".

😂

• I saw another, maybe from the Express or something, along the lines of "Tony Banks storms off stage after fight with Mike Rutherford".

😂

Oh yes I saw that - "Visibly shocked fans gasped as the normally reserved veteran rockers tussled in an undignified manner, at one point ending up on the floor in an unseemly melee of flailing limbs. Witnesses reported shouts of 'You b*st*rd' and 'Get your f*****g hands off me' in a display of violence and profanity contrary to the normally urbane duo's customary gentlemanly demeanour.

The band's management were unavailable for comment."

Abandon all reason

• Is not only Genesis in 2021... It's rock in 2021. Rock is not what it used to be.

• Oh yes I saw that - "Visibly shocked fans gasped as the normally reserved veteran rockers tussled in an undignified manner, at one point ending up on the floor in an unseemly melee of flailing limbs. Witnesses reported shouts of 'You b*st*rd' and 'Get your f*****g hands off me' in a display of violence and profanity contrary to the normally urbane duo's customary gentlemanly demeanour.

The band's management were unavailable for comment."

Yes and all this because Genesis singer Peter Gabriel refuses to take up his band leading duties! You know who you are, you don't give a damn...

8o

• I've not located anything official on YouTube aside from other people's uploads quoting the press release only.

For reasons that escape my famously feeble mind when it comes to anything tech I can’t figure out how to upload the link to the statement and put it on here. The normal option to copy the link is not appearing on YouTube (I have managed to copy links to videos and pasted them here in the past). Long story somewhat shorter what’s on YouTube is simply the statement that the band released that I believe by now everyone has probably read somewhere.