Last 4 UK shows postponed due to positive covid tests within band

• Official Post

We have compiled facts and observations

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…aining-UK-shows-n750.html

• For reasons that escape my famously feeble mind when it comes to anything tech I can’t figure out how to upload the link to the statement and put it on here. The normal option to copy the link is not appearing on YouTube (I have managed to copy links to videos and pasted them here in the past). Long story somewhat shorter what’s on YouTube is simply the statement that the band released that I believe by now everyone has probably read somewhere.

It was probably just the press release.

• Is not only Genesis in 2021... It's rock in 2021. Rock is not what it used to be.

Since when was live rock and roll ever perfect? Give me some talented musicians live on stage without a net, warts and all every time over a band trying to be album perfect.

To me that’s what a rock and roll live show is. It’s spontaneous, it’s living and breathing right there in front of me. There’s nothing in music like a band on stage rocking and giving it their all.

Sure, sometimes it’s tighter than others but it’s also pretty cool too seeing great performers playing in the moment and going off script when needed. Dealing live with whatever comes up. To me that’s the kind of thing that makes each show unique. Even if a set list doesn’t change from one show to the next.

• Since when was live rock and roll ever perfect? Give me some talented musicians live on stage without a net, warts and all every time over a band trying to be album perfect.

To me that’s what a rock and roll live show is. It’s spontaneous, it’s living and breathing right there in front of me. There’s nothing in music like a band on stage rocking and giving it their all.

Sure, sometimes it’s tighter than others but it’s also pretty cool too seeing great performers playing in the moment and going off script when needed. Dealing live with whatever comes up. To me that’s the kind of thing that makes each show unique. Even if a set list doesn’t change from one show to the next.

I have not explained well... I was talking about I think (is my opinion) rock is in decadence. Only tried to make irony. Genesis and other great rock legends are old, we love it and no problem with their condition on stage (I saw last Monday Genesis and I freaked out with the show). Today we are a lot indulgent talking about age, styles, innovation... there is no other way...

• Not trying to pick a bone at all but if I had watched a Genesis video from 1973, 1976, 1980, etc., at the time, should I also have not judged the performance and just "see them live"? I have tickets for Genesis too this time around, let me clear. But my level of enthusiasm is at about a "1" on a 1-10 scale, after seeing these videos. You can delude yourself into thinking that they sound great; they don't unless you're tone deaf. Phil Collins can't sing anymore, period. His timbre is horrible, he's off key a good chunk of the time and he can't sing to the tempo (just watch the damned videos). Yes, the visuals are great, yes, the musicianship (mostly) is ok but that's not enough for a professional show that's charging $150-$500 a ticket. Come on! You wouldn't accept this from any other act! Now if you want to enjoy the company of other G-fans and have fun for one night, I get that. But to push the argument that they sound great? Not even close, unless you're completely delusional or your only experience of them live is 2007.

I had all the same reservations you did, I really did. I had seen all the teasers and clips prior to going and I really thought Phil couldn't carry this off. You're right his tone and timing is off. It was a bit painful and worrying at times.

Then I went to Manchester and admittedly I was 10 rows from the front, but they blew my mind. I was literally buzzing for days.

Was Phil a bit off? Yes. Was he terrible? Not at all. Was he trying his best? Absolutely. Was he winning the audience over? They were in the palm of his hand.

The band honestly sounded as good as ever (albeit with undesirable key changes which didn't bother me in the end). In the instrumental sections you could close your eyes and it was the same old band, as tight as ever. The mix/PA was excellent too, total clarity.

I also watched the Newcastle show the other night and Phil had noticeably improved in just a week or so and was in good spirits. I bet by the O2 he would've been pretty sharp.

Remember the concert films from the 70s and 80s were all well rehearsed deep into tours, professionally shot and mixed. It's just not comparable to smartphone footage in the early stages of a tour after a 14 year break at the age of 70!

Would I want to listen to this tour as a pro recording? Well I don't think it does anything the 2007 recording doesn't do. Yes the vocals will be better from that. Or from Seconds Out or Three Sides etc. But this is first and foremost a live performance, and in that respect it 100% delivers.

I think it's good you have low expectations, you'll be pleasantly surprised! I'd reserve judgement a little until you see them.

Of course it's not 1978 or whatever. I wish it was. But it's this or nothing. And believe me this version of Genesis still knocks it out of the park in a way not many bands can.

• External Content www.instagram.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

nooooooooooooooo I hope it gets better before mid-November! Poor guys! :(

• Ha ha.. how did you guess..one of the biggest artists of the 80's...blah, blah, blah

The 'Take A Look At Me Now' singer.....

Why is that song always the one which is quoted by the press, and why is it they never even get the title of the song right?! NB I'm not saying that has happened this time. It's just another example of how Phil is stereotyped by the tabloids.

• You should stay .

Also with no disrespect but I think there's a lot of confusion with people watching videos and making judgements about the quality. Remember it is first and foremost a live show and live shows are rough and ready at the best of times. They're also very forgiving in a way that videos aren't (particularly phone videos on youtube).

The atmosphere in that room was electric and Genesis on 50% functioning power is still better than most other bands on 100%. Also this is the first time Genesis has toured in the smartphone/youtube era so people are seeing them in a whole new way. I bet the early shows in 2007 were rough too but by the time they filmed them they're on fire.

It's 2021 and you have to set different standards, but really the show isn't diminished by the situation, it just forces us to confront new realities and appreciate that somehow they used to be even better!

Spot on

• You should stay

I agree - NamesnotKev please stick around. You can ride out the potential aggravation and enjoy the largely interesting and enjoyable, if occasionally heated, exchanges. We're Genesis fans, a little friction comes with the territory but with the exception of one or two serial miscreants looking for mischief we're a nice bunch.

Abandon all reason

• So when do we think the London shows will be rescheduled for?

The o2 seems to have some open dates after 18th October, I don't know what the isolation period is, but maybe 20th onwards is doable roughly?

Edited 2 times, last by choccy ().

The o2 seems to have some open dates after 18th October, I don't know what the isolation period is, but maybe 20th onwards is doable roughly?

My guess is that it's going to be very tight to make it happen before the US leg of the tour but we'll have to wait and see.

Either way it would make sense not to leave it too long, as they are already well warmed up and in the zone so to speak.

• Official Post

Thanks Christian for the update.

Nic Collins just posted on Instagram that he is playing with his band Better Strangers in Florida 20 and 23 of October.

saw that as well. Means the Genesis shows most likely won’t be happening very soon, more likely next year?

Highly unlikely it'll be pre-US tour. Don't forget there's a Glasgow show to reschedule too plus 2 Dublins and Belfast. 7 uk/EU shows, practically a mini tour. For logistics purposes I'd guess they'll want to hit all those in one sequence. Certainly even just for London, the O2's gaps coming up aren't sufficient to squeeze the Genesis show in, and they'll want to maintain a decent transition between UK and US. Be prepared for RoI/UK to happen next year, possibly aligned with mainland Europe dates, possibly following US West Coast.

Abandon all reason

Its not as easy as that. We dont know how much of the show beyond their personal instruments needs to be shipped to the USA. Its possible the moving domino light things could be being built again in the USA. But for sure passage of gear has already been booked and that could be shortly after the13th October. Plus they may well decide to do Dublin and Belfast while they are at it.

• so now 4th time lucky for the o2, time will tell if and when happens. But maybe they decide to tag on some European dates which would give a bonus trip away for a show!?..maybe some silver lining

• Highly unlikely it'll be pre-US tour. Don't forget there's a Glasgow show to reschedule too plus 2 Dublins and Belfast. 7 uk/EU shows, practically a mini tour. For logistics purposes I'd guess they'll want to hit all those in one sequence. Certainly even just for London, the O2's gaps coming up aren't sufficient to squeeze the Genesis show in, and they'll want to maintain a decent transition between UK and US. Be prepared for RoI/UK to happen next year, possibly aligned with mainland Europe dates, possibly following US West Coast.

I’m guessing that any additional US tour will involve the Midwest and West Coast. The last tour the only West Coast shows they played were three in California. To make it worth the time, effort and money they’d have to add cities like Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Dallas, Houston, St. Louis and Denver.

• To say I was heartbroken about the cancellation is an understatement, I flew from the U.S. to see them in London only to find out it was cancelled while I was in the air 😢