Will Roger Waters ever shut up?

• There's never really been an actual Pink Floyd thread here except for this one and even then that's essentially asking who else here doesn't like them. And then of course the one we're in now. I'm mildly amused that the two PF-related threads are "Who else here dislikes them" and "When will Waters shut up". Anyway, I just read this Quietus review of Waters's DSOTM 'redux' and thought I'd link to it in this thread as the review is very focused on RW and its general tone fits well with this thread's subject.

I was only very vaguely aware of this 'redux' and have to say that even if you strip away the reviewer's negativity it sounds worth a miss. He says there's a theremin on the album and that it's one of the best things on it.

Abandon all reason

• From the reviews, it sounds even worse than I imagined it would. And I imagined it would sound about as bad as a piece of "art" by moany, uncreative old Roger Waters ever could. I would rather have daily colonoscopies for the rest of my life than listen to that utter shite.

• Well, I'm listening to some of it right now (on RW's Youtube channel, "Time" and "Us & them"), and surprisingly maybe, I find it quite interesting. I'm not a PF fan, and I find myself more on Gilmour's side than on Waters' side, musically at least. And really, it's surprising, quiet calm, but not bad. One thing that annoys me is the vocal treatment - but it's not specific to this record, every record today has it, listen to the recent Stones new song -, the pitch correction is quite audible on some spots, like here, on the "blue" word :

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And of course, there is absolutely no sign of any Stratocaster-type sound... :S

• The Prog review was quite sympathetic. But bad reviews are very rare in Prog. They weren't very kind about his most recent tour, though.

https://www.loudersound.com/re…er-waters-dark-side-redux

I have no interest in this at all. It may even start a trend. I can see Don Henley remaking Hotel California to eliminate those pesky tracks on which he didn't sing lead. All three of them. (I should be fair and point out that given Henley has apparenly given up either writing or recording, this is highly unlikely).

The Quietus reviewer has seen this thread!:

What with everything else that he broadcasts, blogs and blathers from the stage, this record is further evidence that Waters has simply never learned when to shut up.

• The Quietus reviewer has seen this thread!:

What with everything else that he broadcasts, blogs and blathers from the stage, this record is further evidence that Waters has simply never learned when to shut up.

I thought that too. ;)

John Lodge of the Moody Blues has just done something similar, remaking Days Of Future Passed, but, unlike the narcissist Waters, he has had the good grace to compliment and thank his fellow band members for their contributions, rather than try and disown them.

Is the message in DSOTM anti-war? Can't say I ever got that from it. And what's the point? You can preach peace and love all you like, but as long as there are Putins in this world, the only valid response is conflict. Look where the alternative got Neville Chamberlain!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Incidentally, I know it probably won't happen, but wouldn't it be good if David Gilmour redid DSOTM and absolutely STUFFED it with guitar! :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Is the message in DSOTM anti-war? Can't say I ever got that from it.

Me neither. I'm not sure if there is any message as such. I've always felt there's maybe a general theme of how people's minds work.

We'll indeed never completely rid the world of putinoids or conflict but I hope we never see the day creative artists stop conveying messages of peace, love and hope.

Abandon all reason

• I've always assumed that Us and Them was commentary on the futility of war. It seems to emphasize that both sides are the same and are "ordinary men". It also comments on how the generals are safe at the back and send the front line men to their doom. I also thought the lines moving from side to side and the round and round bit suggest that nothing really changes in a meaningful way.

I can't say I find any other song explicitly anti-war.

• I've always assumed that Us and Them was commentary on the futility of war. It seems to emphasize that both sides are the same and are "ordinary men". It also comments on how the generals are safe at the back and send the front line men to their doom. I also thought the lines moving from side to side and the round and round bit suggest that nothing really changes in a meaningful way.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that before.

I'm not much of a PF or DSOTM fan but I like this track a lot.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Reports from his "live premiere" of TDSOTM Redux are ... well ... entertaining. Obviously he was reading a lot. Music seems to be better live than on record bit I still wonder what made him rerecord this classic ...

Anyway. Looks like Waters didn't make any comment about what's going on in Israel. Which is quite surprising. But also something positive ....