GENESIS: European shows 2022 announced

• Official Post
  • I’m a little surprised they didn’t add a few US shows—maybe Los Angeles, Dallas or Houston, and Denver or Kansas City. Could be the band wants to head back home sooner rather than later as Christmas looms.

• They have enough US show's to be fair.

Phil didn't wanna do long tours when he was in good health, they had their hand forced with the cancellations and I still wonder if they would have done Europe at all.

Given the small numbers of show's, it would suggest, they will use these as a warmup for the concluding London Show's.

• I guess Phil changed his mind

I really don't think so. I think the "Genesis won't exist after 2021" report was always a simple misunderstanding.

I think he just meant to say that Genesis won't exist after this tour. (Which I do believe will be the case.)

But I never believed that the tour would have a mandatory end date of December 31, 2021.

Not after so much money has been invested and so many rehearsals.

• I don't know that we'll ever know what the plan was going to be. But if I was a betting person, I think I'd go with what Choccy suggested. I think London (and then the US shows) was going to be the end, and that the band (or Phil at least) didn't have plans for continental Europe. Then when London had to be postponed, Tony Smith said, well look at this, I just happen to have some additional dates already saved on the calendar. Rather than starting everything up for just those few rescheduled shows, why not add a couple others; gives you a chance to get back into solid form, and say goodbye with a really great show in London.

• Official Post

The European shows would never have happened without the London reschedules. Of course they had plans for more legs but Phil just don’t want to do this anymore. Which I can understand. So with three shows pushed into 2022, they had the opportunity to please some fans in mainland Europe

if you look at the 2022 schedule, I think Glasgow won’t be rescheduled anymore. There’s no space. Also little options for extra shows. Perhaps Berlin and Amsterdam …

my feeling is: This is it …

• if you look at the 2022 schedule, I think Glasgow won’t be rescheduled anymore. There’s no space. Also little options for extra shows.

Exactly what I thought. Unless they stick Glasgow after the Londons I think it's likely we'll see a Glasgow cancellation announcement soon.

The European shows would never have happened without the London reschedules.

The only thing that slightly goes against this is that at Glasgow 1 the hospitality team leader said there had already been discussions about mainland Europe (and US midwest/west coast), plus would a Europe tour have been assembled within just over 2 weeks? My understanding is that tour scheduling takes a lot longer than that but I stand to be corrected.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

I think they had multiple plans. Rumours about blocked stadiums are surely not entirely false, but I guess the London shows plus Phil’s wish not to extend this too much made them improvise a bit. Big promoters always have some venues at hand so the option for the March indoors didn’t get them unprepared

• I think they had multiple plans. Runouts about blocked stadium are surely not entirely false, but I guess the London shows plus Phil’s wish not to extend this too much made them improvise a bit. Big promoters always have some venues at hand so the option for the March indoors didn’t get them unprepared

I have no doubt that Uncle Tony (Smith) will have had multiple fallback options up up his sleeve to cover all kinds of eventualities. He's the master strategist!

• Tony Smith previously had Genesis provisionally booked in 2008 and Phil refused.

I would guess a European tour was thought about in various plans, but they would have announced it sooner, had it been part of plan A

UK and America were the A plan and due to covid, i'm guessing they implemented whichever backup scenario this announcement was.

Also, there a lot of Red tape & Visa issues now with touring Europe, so that was a likely factor also in not announcing any European dates originally.

• Official Post

Also, there a lot of Red tape & Visa issues now with touring Europe, so that was a likely factor also in not announcing any European dates originally.

some procedures are even worse when touring the US, so this should not be a problem. I just think we do not see more shows this spring as they just want to proceed towards London and it was a good idea to throw some shows in.

I also hope they will film all nights in London.

• I think that now there is some kind of a better picture with covid and Europe, plus they have to reschedule the show's it makes sense that the need to have some warmup show's prior to London.

I'm convinced that Genesis always wanted to go out closing in London and that they wouldn't have done the Europe show's now, aside from this plan B or C due to the cancellations, hence scheduling them prior to London and not after.

Means no room to add additional dates.

Of course America has always been their biggest market, so it makes sense they do more show's there as they have done throughout their history.

It's all a very fitting end to an incredible journey.

• I think we should also keep in mind that they didnt know how this was all gonna go.

They seem to be really enjoying themselves so they may have had some provisional plans for Europe, despite what Phil said about not carrying on after 2021. Also the shows in general seem to have been well received. There is a lot of love for the band despite the fact that Phil is past his best. So they may have been cautious about committing to more.

• 9 show's in Europe Plus 3 (so far) in UK means a good little run for them in early 2022

Never say never, but I just feel Phil will call it a day after that. 7 years of touring considering his health is probably 15 to him right now.

• Official Post

Have fun! I'll save my money for Ray, Steve and The Watch instead.

fair enough

All of them worth going but none of them are Genesis and this may be the last time to see them. And a chance to say goodbye

• Fair enough. For me it's fun and music first. Seems I'm not as emotionally attached to the threesome as others. Plus the spotlight is way too much on Phil this time. And I'm very disappointed with the setlist. Thanks for bearing with me.

Edit: I've just seen the prices. I couldn't afford a worthwhile seat anyway. ^^;(

Edited once, last by Sredni ().

• Hi there,

I have been watching the different tickets on sale in La Defense Arena, Paris. There are some places named "Parterre or Assis". Does it mean that people can be mixed seated and stand up in the same zone? I don't understand 😅 Please can someone help?

Thanks!!