15, 16 November 2021 | Genesis live in CHICAGO | reports **SPOILERS**

• Really good show! Phil sounded great, as did the band. His voice was strong and in time, though forgot some lyrics (esp Domino). I was disappointed they replaced Duchess, but Misunderstanding sounded really good and resonated with the crowd.

My highlights:

Second HBTS

Lamb and FYFM

Firth and IKWIL

• Yes they didn’t play Duchess but misunderstanding instead. On my end I would have enjoyed more changes in the set list. And they cannot make everyone happy unfortunately. But the show was great in Chicago. Audience was less sleepy than in the UK… 🤭

• What was the audience’s reaction to Misunderstanding? If it was indifferent perhaps they will rethink the setlist change before I see them in DC, though I suspect the reaction from an American crowd was pretty enthusiastic.

• What was the audience’s reaction to Misunderstanding? If it was indifferent perhaps they will rethink the setlist change before I see them in DC, though I suspect the reaction from an American crowd was pretty enthusiastic.

The reaction was enthusiastic, better than if they played Duchess in my view.

• Well it was a bit of a US milestone really and I'm sure many fans there fondly recall it as their gateway into the world of Genesis. Entirely understandable they'd include it on this final tour and that it'd get the reaction described.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Watch Misunderstanding here

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Excellent show. I just woke up and am getting ready to leave for today's show.

As someone said, I was amazed at Phil's vocals. After Mama - my wife looks at me and says "I thought you said his voice wasn't going to sound good....".

There were some songs like Fading Lights and That's All - and No Son of Mine that he sounded just as good as in 07, if not 92. He did flub a bit here and there - but no big deal. Mike was on as well.

overall - the band made the right choice to play Misunderstanding. I was in row 15, and despite what we all think and believe - the newer hits were way more popular. I was surprirsised that people were sitting during IKWIL - and you could tell there were fans here and there that were excited, but overall the older material did not go over well.

I like Misunderstanding, don't love it, but like it. And as soon as Nic clicked the sticks I knew it was coming - but in all honestly, they played the hell out of it. Sounded great.

Great show - going back tonight for my last time seeing them. :(

• One other thing to add - I don't know if someone gave Phil a shot of 5 hour energy before the show - because he was engaged the most I have seen yet (from the videos of Eurpore). He was constantly air drumming, and moving his arms quite a bit. During SHBTS, he actually leaned up against the drum riser instead of sitting off to the side.

His mannerisms were quite strong. He got a bit slowed down during Domino, but bounced back.

Great show - it was my son's first and last.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The whole negative reaction to old stuff is a bit perplexing to me. In 2007 Ripples, FOF, IKWIL, the Old Medley and Carpet Crawlers were all warmly received at the show I attended in DC. Fourteen years later are there suddenly a bunch of 50 year old IT fans showing up at Genesis gigs who have no exposure to any of the older material?

• The whole negative reaction to old stuff is a bit perplexing to me. In 2007 Ripples, FOF, IKWIL, the Old Medley and Carpet Crawlers were all warmly received at the show I attended in DC. Fourteen years later are there suddenly a bunch of 50 year old IT fans showing up at Genesis gigs who have no exposure to any of the older material?

Could be a number of things - maybe partly what you say, partly that particular city, the demographic on that specific evening... hard to say. Also, Methos perhaps wasn't citing a full-on negative reaction, rather that there was less enthusiasm for the 70s stuff. It'll be interesting to hear what tonight's audience is like

Abandon all reason

• Could be a number of things - maybe partly what you say, partly that particular city, the demographic on that specific evening... hard to say. Also, Methos perhaps wasn't citing a full-on negative reaction, rather that there was less enthusiasm for the 70s stuff. It'll be interesting to hear what tonight's audience is like

The newer stuff just hits way harder IMO. Mama, Land of Confusion, Domino…all bangers with excellent production. Lamb and Moonlit Knight for example…I respect them for what they are, but they just don’t translate nearly as well.

I wouldn’t say the PG stuff was poorly received at all, they just had a tough act to follow when the others set the bar so high.

Though I’m disappointed with the absence of the Fading Lights jam, Cinema Show was on point and so was Firth of Fifth.

• Thanks for the Videos. I was at Birmingham UK and its clear that Phils voice and energy levels have improved quite a lot.

I would also encourage members to click on the above video and see the You Tube posters other videos of the concert-The sound/video quality is outstanding. Philippe Lopez is his name.

• just got home from second Chicago show and let me tell you, the YouTube videos aren't doing anything justice.

So the range isn't there as before, but Phil was on key, nice pitch, and dare I say hit some tough notes in Throwing it All Alway and Domino.

Couldn't believe how any out of towers there were. Travis from Sacramento, Bill from Milwaukee, a nice couple from Omaha, and Dave from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. All said the same thing, no west shows we are coming out .

Great vibe with age group 40 to 70 for the most part. Nice mix of non white people too. Very cool.

Went with misses, who it's her first Genesis concert, and a convert when I showed her what Album tracks look like.

Had last row seats in the nosebleeds, and then, 20 minutes before the show, we get tickets to the 11th row. Others up top started to join us. So I asked the usher and he said the band releases some tickets based on once they get the stage in there, if there's more space then needed, they go get real fans and say thank you. Was blown away.

Same set as night before...Some quick thoughts...

Nice Collins hit with real power. Got a good look at him and Tony all show and he made SHBTS and Domino into something that we haven't seen live before.

Tony's fingers still can work Cinema Show well.

Daryl owned FOF tonight. His best version yet.

Couple technical keyboard issues when power went out for about a bar, but hey, that's live.

Phil still messes up Home By The Sea lyrics and Domino, but that's been happening since 1986.! He was in great spirits busting Mike and Daryls balls and the voice is pretty darn good, zero embarrassment if people were afraid.

Domino was Intense! Love when Nic clicks those sticks and Tony goes to town.

Acoustic set works. The middle song, not gonna spoil that if you don't know, was different but it worked great. Mama was on point.

Great night, I've got work soon but I'll share more later.

Thank you Genesis