15, 16 December 2021 | Genesis live in BOSTON | reports

• Official Post

15, 16 December 2021

GENESIS live in Boston - TD Garden: The Last Domino? Tour

Setlist:

Feel free to post photos and reports here or arrange meet-ups with other fans.

Which shows of THE LAST DOMINO? USA / Canada leg 2021 will you see?

• Really really hoping omicron doesn't sink this before it happens. Have somehow managed to not find out/confirm what setlist change there is for the US leg and intensely excited for the show.

Still finding people coming out of the woodwork at work who are going, and are fans of Genesis. It's awesome!

• Going on the 15th hoping all is well. Anyone have any idea what the merchandise, especially the shirts look like? I haven't found much other than one or two variations on the band site. Usually, there are more than that like 5 or 6 versions at least. Hoping to get an idea what stuff they got.

• Going on the 15th hoping all is well. Anyone have any idea what the merchandise, especially the shirts look like? I haven't found much other than one or two variations on the band site. Usually, there are more than that like 5 or 6 versions at least. Hoping to get an idea what stuff they got.

If you go to this link:

https://store.genesis-music.com/store

You can see what a lot of the shirts look like - these are mostly the ones they have been selling at the shows. Also, if you look closely, you'll see that some cities that have supported them for a long time are getting special t-shirts (so far, Montreal, Toronto, Philadelphia, and NYC have gotten one) - I suspect that Boston may also get one. I can't say it will definitely happen, but keep your eyes open for one.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Really really hoping omicron doesn't sink this before it happens. Have somehow managed to not find out/confirm what setlist change there is for the US leg and intensely excited for the show.

Still finding people coming out of the woodwork at work who are going, and are fans of Genesis. It's awesome!

Believe it or not, since I wasn't able to catch the 2nd NYC show as an extra show for this tour (I saw the 2nd night in Philadelphia originally), I am seriously contemplating coming up to see the 2nd show in Boston next Thursday. How is the COVID situation there right now?

I just saw a story on the news last night that Massachusetts in general, and Boston in particular, are having quite a spike in cases. Have you noticed it yourself? Have there been any rumors about one/both of the shows, if the COVID cases get any worse?

• I have mixed feelings about today and tomorrow nights; these two last American dates in Boston may be not only be the last time Genesis perform in North America but could be the very LAST.

The Omicron variant is causing to make changes on travelling rules Internationally and many cities are going back to lockdown like in the UK. It all seems to volatile and uncertain, I wish the band and fans going to these shows to enjoy what can be a historic moment in Genesis history.

• Everything is see what happens. I'm glad they are in the cusp of finishing this US tour at least, quite an accomplishment given the time of year.

Thinking about the symmetry with finishing in Biston as it was the first place in America they played.

• Everything is see what happens. I'm glad they are in the cusp of finishing this US tour at least, quite an accomplishment given the time of year.

Thinking about the symmetry with finishing in Biston as it was the first place in America they played.

That's true isn't it? Warm up gig at Brandeis before the "big" NYC Christmas show of 1972.

• Another stellar performance tonight in Boston.(After a not so stellar show in Elmont.

Phil gave the strongest version of Mama that I have seen oof the four shows I have seen on the tour.
    Enthusiastic crowd, but as expected, much louder applause for the hits.

Tickets were going for a little as $10 on the secondary market for tonight’s show.

Picked up a pair for tomorrow in the middle loge section for $30. Hard to pass up the last US(?)show at that price. Especially when it’s only a 60 minute drive from my home.

• What a stunning gig.

Another stellar performance tonight in Boston.(After a not so stellar show in Elmont.

Phil gave the strongest version of Mama that I have seen oof the four shows I have seen on the tour.
    Enthusiastic crowd, but as expected, much louder applause for the hits.

Tickets were going for a little as $10 on the secondary market for tonight’s show.

Picked up a pair for tomorrow in the middle loge section for $30. Hard to pass up the last US(?)show at that price. Especially when it’s only a 60 minute drive from my home.

Very good to hear! 👍

Did they sell a Boston-specific t-shirt at the show, like the ones for Montreal, Toronto, Philadelphia, and NYC?

• Ok, some thoughts now that I slept (all of 3 hours).

The gig was phenomenal in nearly every way. Band on form, brilliant spectacle, good crowd. For the first half of Turn it on Again I thought Phil's voice sounded weak but by the end of the track, I thought he sounded 'normal" and remained that way pretty much for the rest of the gig. I also finally get what people talk about when they describe the power of the band live. You'd need the world's best home theater set up, the best quality recording and turn it way way up to get half the effect.

Highlights: everything really but honorable mentions include Duchess (top of all highlights - absolutely electric the way the start builds with the video display and then launches), Mama which is legit creepy in the lower key and acoustic Follow You when the crowd all held up their phone lights. I confess my eyes welled up a little. Also Domino, start of the second part. The power is ferocious, and so loud Tony's little melody over top sounded like ambulance so that it felt like a very dark, very aggressive EDM track and was disorienting in a great way.

Lowlights (not really): the opening duke bit surprisingly, felt a bit workmanlike/perfunctory. Could live without it tbh. Invisible Touch, the only track I got "we're playing this because we have to" vibes off the band. The ritual walking off stage before coming back for the encore. Unnecessary. Part of the video for Domino part 2. Let me explain. It starts out with this pounding, racing music and we're flying down this wormhole tunnel or something, it's incredibly intense and exciting, and then all of a sudden dominos are falling over... very, verrrry slowly. Like these dominos took a hefty swig of night nurse/NyQuil. Dude! Someone needs to speeds that shit up, the dominos should be flying everywhere at a zany tempo, it's way out of sync with the track.

Random observations. During Throwing it all Away, "our love was meant to be" coincided with Phil and Chester playing on barstools in a hotel room which I thought was too on the nose to be a coincidence but maybe it was. During I Can't Dance at the end the little walking cartoons start marching frenetically across the screen which I thought was hilarious. Tony had a booboo on his thumb.

• Great review! Making the drive from Philly to Boston in a couple hours for tonight's show.

• Believe it or not, since I wasn't able to catch the 2nd NYC show as an extra show for this tour (I saw the 2nd night in Philadelphia originally), I am seriously contemplating coming up to see the 2nd show in Boston next Thursday. How is the COVID situation there right now?

I just saw a story on the news last night that Massachusetts in general, and Boston in particular, are having quite a spike in cases. Have you noticed it yourself? Have there been any rumors about one/both of the shows, if the COVID cases get any worse?

Sorry I was avoiding the thread/board in general in the run up to the show so I didn't see this.

It's kind of bad here but not reported that much, if that makes sense. Life is pretty normal in general but there are distinct March 2020 vibes in the hospitals with no capacity, electives being cancelled etc. 🤷‍♂️. Mask mandate and need to show proof of vaccination to get in to the venue. Seems at this stage certain tonight's show will be on, but also you've likely made your decision! They were so good last night I'd recommend it (going).

• I am STILL buzzing over last night's show. Absolutely phenomenal for my first (and likely last) Genesis show. If this is what a "diminished" Genesis sounds like I cannot imagine how powerful they must have been in their prime. Some thoughts:

- Phil did sound a little weak during Turn it on Again but picked it up for most of the rest of the show. Frail as he is, his charisma and stage presence is still intact and he had the crowd in the palm of his hand the entire evening. The intro to Domino was amazing, and hilarious.

- Mama was STUNNING. Phil's laugh was mesmerizing.

- The Land of Confusion video is tremendous, and the song sounds great in a lower key. More heavy. Loved it.

- Home by the Sea had a great video as well.

- Nic, to me, was the MVP. He is clearly his father's son behind the kit. He is a tremendous player, I am intrigued to see what he does going forward. Get this kid a band!

- Mike, Tony, and Phil in the spotlight for Fading Lights was very moving. Mike with his iconic 12string/bass, Tony's swaths of organ, and Phil's delivery was beautiful. I've always really liked that song, and consider it the true "final" Genesis track. I watched some 1998 footage recently and while Ray Wilson is a fine singer, it didn't feel like Genesis to me...more like Mike and Tony play Genesis tracks live. The transition into Cinema Show was effective and not as jarring as some have made it out to be, and Afterglow was great to hear. Would've liked a little more from W&W or something from ATOTT.

- The acoustic set was intimate and well done. The crowd loved it.

- FOF>IKWIL was a huge highlight for me, and seeing Phil doing a pared back tambourine routine was awesome.

I've come around to the 80s stuff as I get older (I'm 36), but Selling England and The Lamb will always top the list.

- The sleeves of Genesis albums and the footage of their history during Throwing it All Away was awesome and a huge highlight of the IT stuff that they played.

- The video/GIF for I Can't Dance was a riot.

- Closing out with Carpet Crawlers was such a great way for Genesis to close the book on their career for me, that song served as the gateway into their Gabriel era back when I was 19 or 20 and got really into the prog Genesis.

All in all, pristine sound quality and a great show. I wish I could go tonight.

• If you can get there tonight, tickets on the secondary market are extremely cheap right now. Like - $20 + fees in Loge.

I don't know what algorithm picked me (following the band on Twitter? part of the fan presale?), but on Tuesday I was offered free tickets from the band for tonight, which may also be why prices have plummeted on StubHub and the like. I feel like it didn't sell to expectations, and they want at least the lower bowl filled in case they're filming it?