Top 10 Genesis tracks

• The only inference that can be made from this comment is that Phil's success as a solo artist dictated the direction in which Genesis went during the eighties. Could you be more wrong? No, you couldn't.

Oh for heaven's sake, SCD, don't start trolling! Your comment is clearly inflammatory. As this is a thread you have already declined to participate in, please desist.

~ My talents may not be obvious but they are always...always...delicious! ~

• Oh for heaven's sake, SCD, don't start trolling! Your comment is clearly inflammatory. As this is a thread you have already declined to participate in, please desist.

This is a forum and, despite your attempts to control what members say here, we are all free to contribute. You made a comment and I put you right. It's got nothing to do with "trolling" or being "inflammatory" so I suggest you calm yourself and consider the stupidity of your remarks.

• This is a forum and, despite your attempts to control what members say here, we are all free to contribute. You made a comment and I put you right. It's got nothing to do with "trolling" or being "inflammatory" so I suggest you calm yourself and consider the stupidity of your remarks.

Whatever! You're right and I'm stupid. Happy now?

• I wonder if the fact I detest that song so much it's because it's Genesis' and how I would have reacted, had been by another artist. Perhaps it would grate me less but I still think it wouldn't be on my radar. Fact is that I find the kind of 'evolution' they had insincere for lack of better words. Mama is pop, so is FYFM or even Keep it Dark and I don't have a problem with those. Misunderstanding as I said, is something else, to me it is simply ugly and they don't have a problem admitting that they included it because it had single potential. It doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the album. IT though doesn't have the same problem, it is sleek, smooth, polished….Just too much. The Beatles went from She Loves you to a Day in the Life and it makes sense but Genesis.... To me it was simply odd to hear a group of Musicians who had been around for almost two decades and were pushing 40, suddenly discovering pop, that kind of pop. Ultimately, IT charted and was very successful and THAT makes it a good pop song, taste, quality and subjectivity notwithstanding. Is it an excellent pop song? I really wouldn't know, I think, as pop songs go, Mike wrote better. Anyway, I know that it does nothing for me.

First mention of Keep it Dark, I think I've seen here. Always loved that song. Best song on Abacab.

• 9. Stagnation

I imagine "The Knife" would have been very exhilarating to hear in a live setting (sadly I can't speak from experience), but for me "Stagnation" was by far the most appealing track on Trespass and the one most likely to cause goosebumps to rise.

Total respect for this choice. I also prefer it to The Knife. Neck and neck with White Mountain, which I posted at #10. Remaining tracks all wholely listenable. What an album!

• First mention of Keep it Dark, I think I've seen here. Always loved that song. Best song on Abacab.

Well, there are one three songs I like on Abacab, plus one I can live with but KID is certainly top notch. Odd, inventive, quirky a pity they haven't gone more in that direction.

• I imagine "The Knife" would have been very exhilarating to hear in a live setting (sadly I can't speak from experience),

Yes, PG would launch himself into the crowd, by all accounts. One of the original crowd-surfers no less. Apparently, he got quite badly hurt on one occasion when the crowd parted in alarm and he hit the floor.

• 10. Can-Utility and the Coastliners

A magical track that never grows old. I don't see it mentioned often.

9. The Musical Box

It wasn't difficult selecting my top five or so tracks, but six through ten are nearly interchangeable.

• Hi, Great you’ve joined us, Old Miss Mort. A couple of great choices there! Wouldn’t be surprised if one or both of those come back as the countdown continues. I quite agree about their interchangeability. I’m constantly juggling the order of my faves too as I endlessly re-play them. I’ll add your choices to the chart and get ready to pick #8 on Friday 😀

• 10. Can-Utility and the Coastliners

A magical track that never grows old. I don't see it mentioned often.

9. The Musical Box

It wasn't difficult selecting my top five or so tracks, but six through ten are nearly interchangeable.

Proper old school choices there. No arguments.

• IT’S TIME TO NAME YOUR #8

Those of you following this GENESIS TOP 10 COUNTDOWN will know that my top 10 fall into 4 distinct groups which I’ve likened to the medals awarded at Chelsea. We’re now in SILVER medal territory so we’ve taken a step up in terms of quality. Here’s my #8

Fountain of Salmacis from the album Nursery Cryme (1971) SILVER

Genesis' Third LP, Nursery Cryme, begins and ends with its two strongest tracks and whilst Salmacis might not match the intensity and drama of The Musical Box, Banks’ swirling mellotron opener creates a magical atmosphere rarely seen outside the pages of a book - and as a fantasy author myself, this is the track I reach for when I’m seeking inspiration.

The lyrics tell the story from Greek mythology of Hermaphroditus and the nymph Salmacis. This is no ‘fumble behind the bike sheds’ song. The posh boys from Charterhouse would need a few more years before they were able to deal with love and romance in an everyday context. (“I was basically repressed,” was how Tony Banks explained it). This is high brow classicism in the form of a musical novella in which Gabriel sings the roles of Narrator, Hermaphroditus and Salmacis with Phil coming in on those lines where a dual vocal was needed. As has become their trademark, the music ebbs and flows with the emotional tide of the song thanks to Tony Banks who creates a rare symbiosis between lyric and music which is in synch with the merging of the song’s two characters in the story.

"The Fountain of Salmacis" was a mainstay of their live set until displaced on the release of ‘Selling England by the Pound.’ It remained as an occasional encore until Gabriel left the band in ‘75.

Both highly cerebral and deeply emotional, "The Fountain of Salmacis" consolidated the use of classicism in lyrics and helped establish prog rock as the ‘thinking man’s music’ aimed at the intellectual elite; something that I, for one, am more than happy to endorse - lol 😜 As a good friend of mine joked, 'Boris Johnson probably loves it!'

Edited once, last by Gabble Ratchet ().

• #8 is Many Too Many, a bitter love song from And Then There Were Three.

Hackett having left they abolished the role of lead guitar and did it all with keyboards, squeezing out this, their last great album. From then on I can largely skip over all except the first side of Genesis, plus a handful of singles.

In many ways Hackett's exit is more significant than Gabriel's. The latter they did see coming, and Banks actually described it as a relief.

I like/love pretty well the whole of this album, and feel no need to skip tracks. I need to represent it in my top ten and this track is as good as any.

• This is difficult, I could easily choose ten from the Gabriel era, and ten from the Trick to Duke era, but I guess, for my number 8 I'll go with..

8 - Undertow from ATTWT.

The lyrics always moved me with their musing on the precious nature of time, and not taking what you have for granted. The chorus, with it's big drums, bass synth and soaring keys is perfect Genesis from that period.

• Nice choice. I always liked that song too. I'm surprised it wasn't a bigger hit than it was. The B side was pretty good too IIRC (The day the lights went out)?

• #8 is Many Too Many, a bitter love song from And Then There Were Three.

Hackett having left they abolished the role of lead guitar and did it all with keyboards, squeezing out this, their last great album.

In many ways Hackett's exit is more significant than Gabriel's. The latter they did see coming, and Banks actually described it as a relief.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Duke. Listen to the 'Duke suite' stitched together as it was originally planned and it's prog rock's last grand 'hurrah'! The other songs are their solo stuff, 2 songs from each which clearly signposts where they're heading.

As for Hackett's exit being more significant, you're probably right. His soaring guitar was certainly missed on Attw3. Rutherford stepped up to the mark but in his own words 'only just about managed it.' Apart from his solo on 'Burning Rope', what else is there? And Gabriel was basically a lyricist and personally I'd sacrifice lyrics any day for Hackett in full throttle (and that's saying something coming from a writer) Performance-wise is another matter though. Oh, to have been old enough to see Gabriel prancing around on stage in the early 70s! How I could curse my mum and dad for not getting it off sooner - lol

Here's the 27 min 'Duke suite' as originally intended. Give it another go!

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This is difficult, I could easily choose ten from the Gabriel era, and ten from the Trick to Duke era, but I guess, for my number 8 I'll go with..

8 - Undertow from ATTWT.

The lyrics always moved me with their musing on the precious nature of time, and not taking what you have for granted. The chorus, with it's big drums, bass synth and soaring keys is perfect Genesis from that period.

On my list too! Anthemic choruses give me the goosebumps. Put it there, mate! 🖐

• I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Duke. Listen to the 'Duke suite' stitched together as it was originally planned and it's prog rock's last grand 'hurrah'! The other songs are their solo stuff, 2 songs from each which clearly signposts where they're heading.

As for Hackett's exit being more significant, you're probably right. His soaring guitar was certainly missed on Attw3. Rutherford stepped up to the mark but in his own words 'only just about managed it.' Apart from his solo on 'Burning Rope', what else is there? And Gabriel was basically a lyricist and personally I'd sacrifice lyrics any day for Hackett in full throttle (and that's saying something coming from a writer) Performance-wise is another matter though. Oh, to have been old enough to see Gabriel prancing around on stage in the early 70s! How I could curse my mum and dad for not getting it off sooner - lol

Here's the 27 min 'Duke suite' as originally intended. Give it another go!

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That suite does work pretty well. It's basically the hi-lights of the album lined up one after the other, although I have to say Man of our times, works better for me, after Guide Vocal than Turn it on Again, but then I guess it's not part of the Duke story board. It's pretty difficult to segue seamlessly from GV into TIOA as they such contrasting songs in terms of tempo and feel.

Technicalities aside, Duke could have been one of their strongest albums with a bit of thoughtful track juxtaposition and editing, and the ommission of Misunderstanding and Please Don't Ask, but they were moving on, and if that's what they felt they needed to do, then so be it. Duke was their farewell to prog rock album IMO.

BTW, have you heard the re-working of Heathhaze, with added Mellotron? Very nice.

• Technicalities aside, Duke could have been one of their strongest albums with a bit of thoughtful track juxtaposition and editing, and the ommission of Misunderstanding and Please Don't Ask, but they were moving on, and if that's what they felt they needed to do, then so be it. Duke was their farewell to prog rock album IMO.

BTW, have you heard the re-working of Heathhaze, with added Mellotron? Very nice.

Couldn't agree more! I find it quite poignant that their farewell to prog took place in the closing months of the decade. The song writing took place Sep- Dec '79 though the album was not released until March 1980. A new decade, with new trends and a new direction to follow as tracks like 'Misuderstanding' and 'Please don't ask' signpost. Incidentally, it's tracks such as these two that have stopped me listening to albums anymore. I'm a confirmed 'playlister' these days whose best friend is the 'shuffle' button.

Heathaze with added Mellotron, eh? I know a lot of people on this forum slate the track but I actually like it and now it's being served with a helping of Mellotron sauce?...ooh, yes please!! Can you post a link?

• Couldn't agree more! I find it quite poignant that their farewell to prog took place in the closing months of the decade. The song writing took place Sep- Dec '79 though the album was not released until March 1980. A new decade, with new trends and a new direction to follow as tracks like 'Misuderstanding' and 'Please don't ask' signpost. Incidentally, it's tracks such as these two that have stopped me listening to albums anymore. I'm a confirmed 'playlister' these days whose best friend is the 'shuffle' button.

Heathaze with added Mellotron, eh? I know a lot of people on this forum slate the track but I actually like it and now it's being served with a helping of Mellotron sauce?...ooh, yes please!! Can you post a link?

Here you go - hope the link works :-)